Figures released for the first time show the Prince of Wales receives pounds sterling
British Pound 3 million (US$4.95 million)from British taxpayers, in addition to an income just short of pounds sterling
British Pound 10 million (US$16.5 million) from his official estates.
The statistics, published in a glossy 26-page brochure yesterday, detail the costs of the prince's office and his finances as part of an offensive to demonstrate the heir to the throne's value for money.
The report -- and an accompanying brochure outlining the prince's charitable activities, claiming he raised at least British Pound 70m (US$115.5 million) for charity last year -- is intended to offset ferocious public criticism of his lifestyle, in the wake of the royal butler trials last year.
A spokesman said, "He doesn't have a string of cars, he doesn't collect art, he doesn't have a villa in the south of France."
But he does employ 97 servants and staff. Although the report does not indicate which of the 97 (equivalent to 91 full-time staff) squeezes out the royal toothpaste, it does say that most staff costs are met from his Duchy of Cornwall (his official estates) income.
The report says the prince employs 17 personal servants, including valets and butlers, a chef, grooms, gardeners and estate workers at Highgrove in Gloucestershire.
Defensively, the report's introduction says, "The Prince of Wales participates in and contributes to national life across a wide spectrum. As heir to the throne, he is committed to making a difference for the better in this country and internationally and to using his position to draw attention to and foster the nation's talents and traditions."
It says he carries out 500 engagements each year and is patron of 350 charities. His office receives 50,000 letters a year and the prince personally writes 2,500 letters.
Last year he also gave 15 speeches, sent 19 video messages and wrote 278 supportive messages, gave 100 receptions and entertained 11,000 official guests.
The Duchy of Cornwall estate provided the bulk of the prince's income. It has provided income for the Prince of Wales, who is also the duke of Cornwall, since 1377.
The land cannot be sold but the trust which gives the prince his income is overseen by the Treasury.
He can use the money, though, at his own discretion.
Stretching over 57,088 hectares of land in 25 counties, mostly agricultural and mainly in the southwest but also including such choice parts of London as the Oval cricket ground, the duchy provided Prince Charles with an income of
Government grants to help the cost of his official duties amounted to just under British Pound 2.8 million.
Of the other grants, there was
British Pound 2.2 million to pay for the renovation of Clarence House, the Queen Mother's former home, into which the prince is moving later this summer from his current, more cramped, London residence just across the road at St James's Palace.
French authorities yesterday said that they would close a Paris mosque as part of a clampdown on radical Islam that has yielded over a dozen arrests following the beheading of a teacher who had shown his pupils a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammed. The mosque in a densely populated suburb northeast of Paris had disseminated a video on its Facebook page days before Friday’s gruesome murder, railing against teacher Samuel Paty’s choice of material for a class discussion on freedom of expression, a source close to the investigation said. The French Ministry of the Interior said the mosque in Pantin, which has
LONGSTANDING NEUTRALITY: The US request came as it vied for influence in Southeast Asia with China, but Indonesia has never let foreign militaries operate there Indonesia this year rejected a proposal by the US to allow its P-8 Poseidon maritime surveillance planes to land and refuel there, four senior Indonesian officials familiar with the matter have said. US officials made multiple “high-level” approaches in July and August to Indonesia’s defense and foreign ministers before Indonesian President Joko Widodo rebuffed the request, the officials said. Representatives for Indonesia’s president and defense minister, the US Department of State’s Office of Press Relations and the US embassy in Jakarta did not respond to requests for comment. Representatives for the US Department of Defense and Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs Retno Marsudi
COVID-19 UNDER CONTROL: The two prime ministers agreed to ease entry bans, and allow short-term business visits and reopen flights between Vietnam and Japan Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga, in his first overseas summit since taking office last month, yesterday agreed with Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to step up defense and security cooperation in the face of China’s expanding influence in the region. In talks in Hanoi, Suga and Phuc set up a basic agreement allowing Japan to export defense equipment and technology to Vietnam. Japan has been pursuing such agreements to bolster ties with Southeast Asian nations and sustain its own defense industry. Suga said that his four-day trip to Vietnam and Indonesia would be key to pursuing the “free and open Indo-Pacific” vision
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night said that he has no problem with being held responsible for the many killings under his crackdown on drugs, and that he is ready to face charges that could land him in jail, but not charges of crimes against humanity. Duterte’s televised remarks were among his clearest acknowledgement of the prospects that he could face a deluge of criminal charges for the bloody campaign he launched after taking office in the middle of 2016. Police have reported that at least 5,856 drug suspects have been killed in raids and more than 256,000 others arrested since