The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus yesterday said that legislation concerning the enforcement of disaster prevention-related laws should be the legislature’s top priority and asked the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) to stop playing politics by placing a presidential transition of power bill at the top of its legislative agenda.
Legislative Speaker Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) of the DPP yesterday said that he would try to obtain a consensus between the parties to put the transition of power bill at the top of the agenda.
Su’s proposal on the arrangement followed a New Power Party caucus’ statement on Monday that called for an early end to a question-and-answer session, which is to begin tomorrow and is expected to last until the end of next month, in order to process the transition of power bill as early as possible.
The KMT caucus did not approve of the “rush,” with KMT Legislator Lin Te-fu (林德福) questioning the need to expedite the transition bill.
“Past transitions went pretty smoothly. Is there really an urgent need to pass the bill?” Lin asked, adding that while Su proclaimed that he would be a non-partisan speaker, “he is now proposing to make the transition bill the top priority.”
“The legislature should focus on people’s lives and property and put politics aside,” Lin added.
KMT Legislator Alicia Wang (王育敏) said the KMT caucus, in light of the catastrophic earthquake in southern Taiwan, would propose changes to the “three disaster-prevention laws”: improving the Disaster Prevention and Protection Act (災害防救法); amending the Urban Renewal Act (都市更新條例) to incorporate the concept of urban renewal to prevent disasters; and revising the Building Act (建築法) to require inspections of the structural safety of buildings by a third-party authority.
Wang said the three disaster related bills would be the KMT caucus’ top priority and called for the support of all parties to ensure public safety.
Disaster-prevention legislation is “what people want,” Lin said, adding that the public is “tired of political scheming.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a