Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Minister Andrew Hsia (夏立言) yesterday downplayed rumors that president-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) is planning to keep him in his current post after her inauguration on May 20 due to his good performance.
“I have my own career plans and my duty is to do my job well before May 20,” Hsia said in response to media questions about whether he is interested in retaining his post under the administration of Tsai, who headed the council between 2000 and 2004.
“I have my own plans for the future,” Hsia said, without elaborating.
Photo: CNA
Hsia, who took over the ministerial post from Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) in February last year, made the remarks on the sidelines of an exchange event with China-based Taiwanese businesspeople in Taipei yesterday morning.
Rumors have been circulating since Tsai’s presidential victory last month that she has not ruled out keeping Hsia in his post after she takes office, to ensure the maintenance of the cross-strait hotline established between the council and its Chinese counterpart, the Taiwan Affairs Office, on Dec. 30 last year.
The hotline, aimed at providing a more direct channel of communication across the Taiwan Strait, was allegedly “disconnected” for weeks after the elections.
In his opening remarks at yesterday’s event, Hsia said Taiwan Affairs Office Minister Zhang Zhijun (張志軍) contacted him on the hotline to extend Chinese President Xi Jinping’s (習近平) and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang’s (李克強) condolences to victims of the Feb. 6 earthquake.
“Zhang also told me that China is willing to offer help at any time should we require it. I then expressed our gratitude on behalf of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) over China’s offer,” Hsia said.
COMPASSION
Hsia said the magnitude 6.4 earthquake that wreaked havoc in Tainan has caused tremendous loss of life and destruction to property, killing 116 people and injuring at least 550.
“In the face of this disaster, every pillar of society has demonstrated compassion and their love for their fellow countrymen. I would also like to give special thanks to China-based Taiwanese businesspeople for their generous donations,” Hsia said.
The council said donations from China for reconstruction work reached NT$73.1 million (US$2.18 million) yesterday.
Hsia said today would mark the first anniversary of his assumption of the ministership and that the past year had been fruitful for cross-strait relations, which witnessed the first meeting of cross-strait leaders in 66 years in November last year.
In addition to the cross-strait hotline, Hsia said progress has also been made following the Ma-Xi meeting, including the launching of a limited flight transit proposal on Feb. 1 that allows residents of three Chinese cities to transit at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport for flights to a third country.
Hsia said he hoped the harmony and security across the Taiwan Strait could be maintained in the future based on the principle of reciprocity and dignity.
A vessel owned by Taiwan’s cargo container shipping company Yang Ming Marine Transport Corp caught fire after an explosion occurred in a container on board while the ship was at the busy Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan in eastern China on Friday. Yang Ming Marine confirmed the incident and said a preliminary investigation found that the explosion occurred in a container on its vessel, the YM Mobility, which reportedly arrived in Ningbo early on Friday morning after its last call in Shanghai. “Immediate fire control measures were taken, and the situation is now under control,” Yang Ming Marine said in a statement. “All crew
‘UNITING TAIWAN’: While the boxer’s home town is offering free train and sports center access, stores around the nation are offering discounts to celebrate her victory New Taipei City Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜) yesterday declared Aug. 12 “Lin Yu-ting Day” after the Taiwanese boxer won a gold medal in the women’s 57kg category at the Paris Olympics. Lin’s hometown is in the city’s Yingge District (鶯歌). The final between Lin and Poland’s Julia Szeremeta was broadcast live at the city hall early yesterday morning, where Hou, Lin’s mother and more than 200 people rooted for her. Thunderous roars and applause erupted at the city hall when the referee lifted Lin’s hand to show she had won. To celebrate Lin’s hard-won victory, Aug. 12 would be designated Lin
The number of foreign students attending Taiwanese universities last year dropped 9.46 percent from 2019, mainly due to a marked decline in the number of Chinese students, the National Audit Office said in a report. Last year, there were 116,038 foreign students — 67,299 degree students and 48,739 non-degree students — a decrease of 12,119, or 9.46 percent, from 128,157 in 2019, the report said. China in 2020 stopped allowing Chinese students to study in Taiwan, saying that COVID-19 pandemic controls and “the cross-strait situation” were the reasons for the change. Chinese who had already come to Taiwan were allowed finish their
YEARS OF SERVICE: Doris Brougham’s program and magazines supplemented classroom material of three generations of English-language learners in Taiwan Celebrated English-language educator Doris Brougham, also known locally as Peng Meng-hui (彭蒙惠), died on Tuesday evening. She was 98. Brougham was the creator of Studio Classroom (空中英語教室) — a popular English-language radio program which first aired in 1962 — and the magazine Let’s Talk in English (大家說英語). Her work had benefited three generations of English-language learners in Taiwan. Brougham in 2022 received the Order of Brilliant Star for her contribution to Taiwanese society. She was among the first foreigners to obtain permanent legal residency in Taiwan and became a citizen in May last year. Born 1926 to a Christian family in Seattle, Brougham