The police chief who arrested three journalists on Thursday night will not be punished, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said yesterday.
The journalists were arrested along with student activists and charged with trespassing on the Ministry of Education’s grounds, with police officers temporarily confiscating their mobile phones and cameras.
“I view this as an unexpected situation and am prepared to shoulder the responsibility myself because there were no clear rules to follow,” said Ko, adding that it would be unfair to for Zhongzheng First Precinct Police Chief Chang Chi-wen (張奇文) to take the blame for the journalists’ arrest.
Late on Friday, Ko apologized in a media release for what he said was the police department’s “infringement on press freedom.”
During the incident, the police department was not able to follow his administration’s standard operating procedure for dealing with journalists during protests, which call for an on-site police officer to be appointed as a point man for press relations, he said.
Ko said the reporters should not have been arrested, while avoiding questions on whether they had a right to be in the building. Reporters and police officers have different responsibilities which need to be harmonized, he said.
He said the police department would review procedures for dealing with similar incidents in the future, adding that he would also work with the National Police Agency to clarify the chain of command during future protests.
The Taipei mayor shares command of the city’s police department with the agency.
“While I did not issue the order [to arrest the reporters], I do not know who was behind it and I do not dare to guess,” Ko said.
At one point, Ko called Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) a “hired thug,” who was obligated to press charges but later added that he had misspoken.
He said that he “did not really approve” of the students breaking in to the ministry building, but added that “when the nation is abnormal, it is difficult for every person to act normally.”
In Friday’s media release, he had said the students’ “bravery” was “praiseworthy.”
China’s Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong has asked foreign consulates in Hong Kong to submit details of their local staff, which is more proof that the “one country, two systems” model no longer exists, a Taiwanese academic said. The office sent letters dated Monday last week to consulates in the territory, giving them one month to submit the information it requires. The move followed Beijing’s attempt to obtain floor plans for all properties used by foreign missions in Hong Kong last year, which raised concerns among diplomats that the information could be used for
‘ABNORMITY’: News of the military exercises on the coast of the Chinese province facing Taiwan were made public by the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday Taiwan’s military yesterday said it has detected the Chinese military initiating a round of exercises at a bay area in coastal Fujian Province, which faces Taiwan, since early yesterday morning and it has been closely monitoring the drills. The exercises being conducted at Fujian’s Dacheng Bay featured an undisclosed number of People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) warplanes, warships and ground troops, the Ministry of National Defense said in a press statement. The ministry did not disclose what kind of military exercises are being conducted there and for how long they would be happening, but it did say that it has been closely watching
Vice President William Lai (賴清德) yesterday said that Beijing was trying to “annex” Taiwan, while China said its recent series of drills near Taiwan are aimed at combating the “arrogance” of separatist forces. The Ministry of National Defense earlier this month said that it had observed dozens of Chinese fighters, drones, bombers and other aircraft, as well as warships and the Chinese aircraft carrier Shandong, operating nearby. The increased frequency of China’s military activities has raised the risk of events “getting out of hand” and sparking an accidental clash, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said last week. Asked about the spurt
Noting that researchers have found that 85 China-based blogs and accounts were spreading a conspiracy theory that a US “meteorological weapon” had caused recent fires in Hawaii, political observers in Taiwan said the nation also needs to be vigilant of Beijing employing similar disinformation campaigns against Taiwan. The untrue content concerning Hawaii was written in 15 languages and disseminated across a myriad of platforms including Facebook, YouTube and X, a report published in Gizmodo said, citing NewsGuard, an online news content ranker. The effort represented the most expansive Chinese informational operation to be uncovered by NewsGuard to date, Gizmodo said. The conspiracy theory