About 90 percent of netizens taking part in an informal online vote supported the tearing down of the Taipei Dome after Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je’s (柯文哲) administration aired its most recent security report on the facility, in which it noted five major problems and two solutions.
A Facebook page called “Professor Ko’s New Government’s Progress Bar” yesterday started an informal vote, with choices being: “Tear down the facility as soon as possible,” “Give Farglory Land Development Co (遠雄建設) more time to improve” and “I do not trust the city government’s report.”
The poll limited votes to one per e-mail address and the page’s owner said that the vote was informal and not part of the official Taipei City Government’s i-voting program.
As of 9pm last night, from 6,606 votes, 90.01 percent voted in favor of demolishing the arena, 8.07 percent voted for giving the developer more chances and 1.92 percent voted that they did not have faith in the city government’s report.
Netizens commenting on the poll also suggested different choices, with Danny Shih and a netizen surnamed Chou saying that there should be a choice to remove the commercial sector and office sector from the project.
Ken Liu said that it would be best to listen to the suggestions of netizens, adding that he could not see where the government’s “professionalism” came in.
If the poll had not come from the government, then it is purely for fun, Liu said.
Liz Wang also said there should be more options in the poll, including removing the department store area and changing building companies.
It took director Chong Keat Aun (張吉安) nearly a decade to complete Snow in Midsummer (五月雪), a deft chronicle of Malaysia’s May 13 incident told through one woman’s search for her brother and father. Although only his second feature, it led the field at yesterday’s Golden Horse Awards with nine nominations. Chong said it had been a struggle to get people to share their memories of the intercommunal violence following the 1969 national election, known among the country’s ethnic Chinese community as “513.” “My father, for example, would shut the conversation down if my mother or grandma even mentioned the topic,” Chong said
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday said that a surge in respiratory illnesses in China has been caused by at least seven types of pathogens, and small children, elderly people and immunocompromised people should temporarily avoid unnecessary visits to China. The recent outbreak of respiratory illnesses in China is mainly in the north and among children, CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo (羅一鈞) said on Monday. Data released by the Chinese National Health Commission on Sunday showed that among children aged one to four, the main pathogens were influenza viruses and rhinoviruses, while among children aged five to 14, the main pathogens
A new poll of Taiwanese voters found the top opposition candidate for president jumping past the ruling party’s hopeful into the lead position ahead of January’s election — the latest twist in a drama-filled race. Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) presidential candidate Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) had an approval rating of 31.9 percent versus 29.2 percent for the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) presidential candidate Vice President William Lai (賴清德), the poll released yesterday by the Taiwanese Public Opinion Foundation showed. The Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) presidential candidate, New Taipei City Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜), ranked third with 23.6 percent, according to the survey conducted
A New Taipei City hotpot restaurant could be fined after a rat dropped from the ceiling and landed on a customer’s plate last week, the New Taipei City Department of Health said yesterday after conducting an inspection. A woman recently posted on the “I am a Banciao resident” (我是板橋人) social media group saying that she had been eating with a friend at Chien Tu Shabu Shabu Hotpot Restaurant’s Shuangshi B branch in Banciao District (板橋). “While still eating, a big rat suddenly dropped down from the ceiling, landing on a plate next to a hotpot,” she said. “Later on, a member of