Born in 1989, Steve Wang sometimes wonders what happened in his hometown of Beijing that year, but his curiosity about pro-democracy protests and the crackdown on them passes quickly.
“I was not part of it,” he said. “I know it could be important, but I cannot feel it.”
A quarter of a century after the Chinese Communist Party’s (CCP) attack on demonstrations centered on Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989, it is little more than a distant tale to most young Chinese. The CCP prohibits public discussion, and 1989 is banned from textbooks and Chinese Web sites.
Many have managed to learn something about the crackdown, through people they know, by navigating around China’s tight Internet controls or by traveling abroad.
Some are aware of the iconic image of resistance — the lone Chinese man standing in front of a line of tanks moving down the Avenue of Eternal Peace.
Yet often, they seem not to care. They grew up in an atmosphere of nationalism and pride amid two decades of strong economic growth. The turmoil caused by a student movement 25 years ago seems irrelevant to a generation more worried about finding jobs and buying apartments.
“They basically don’t bother to try to find out further,” said Fu King-wa (傅景華), a journalism professor at Hong Kong University. “Even if they learn about it, they believe the government’s version.”
Rowena He (何曉清), author of the book Tiananmen Exiles about the lives of the student protesters after the crackdown, said many Chinese students abroad claim they know a lot about it, but in fact know little.
“Some would say: ‘We know what happened, so what?’ That’s typical,” said He, who teaches at Harvard University.
Young Chinese tend to find it hard to empathize with students of the late 1980s, she said.
“The younger generation is more influenced by cynicism and materialism,” He said. “A Chinese student once said to me: ‘I really do not believe they took to the street for ideals.’”
Born in July, 1989, in a Beijing hospital not far from the site of the bloody crackdown, Wang grew up without hearing a word about the student movement from his parents or teachers. He first heard about it from friends in college in China.
“I was quite curious and wanted to know about it, but I could not find anything,” Wang said.
In 2010, Wang went to school in England where he met a Hong Kong student who showed him a video of the crackdown.
“All I could remember was a young man trying to stop a tank from rolling forward,” Wang said.
The Hong Kong student “asked me why it has to be like this. I was stupefied.”
Back in Beijing, Wang does not think the student movement would come up in any discussion.
“Who would bring it up? There’s been no reason to talk about it,” Wang said. “Much time has passed since then and China will not report it anymore. Now the foreign media want to make a fuss out of it. They are talking up the negative things about China.”
At Peking University, once a center of the student protests, Tiananmen seems to have little relevance to today’s students.
“It is not something that concerns us anymore,” said Zhang Yu, a graduate student in sociology.
Although some bold Peking University professors have shared their knowledge with their students, most keep the topic out of the classroom.
Chen Haoyun, a freshman majoring in aeronautics, said he first heard about it when a teaching assistant mentioned it in a history class.
“I do not know much about it. All I know is that it cannot be talked about,” Chen said. “I am interested, but the school does not talk about it.”
Peking University party secretary Zhu Shanlu (朱善璐) said that teachers must be careful when speaking to students about Tiananmen.
“You must take responsibility for the students and their values. It’s like buttoning up the first button — you cannot get the first button wrong,” Zhu told reporters when asked if the issue is off-limits on campus.
Even some young people with connections to the crackdown know little about it, including Wang Jiaying, a Beijing college student whose father participated in the student movement.
“He said he was not sensible at the time,” Wang said of her father. “I think it was a special event at a special time, which cannot be discussed now.”
Her roommate, Lu Qiuxuan, 21, learned it about from her mother, who was at a Beijing hospital caring for her grandmother at the time.
She told Lu about the constant flow of wounded students. Lu said she looked up information when she spent time overseas.
“I didn’t expect it was this huge, and there were so many people and so many injuries. I was shocked,” Lu said.
“I don’t know what should be the right conclusion, as long as the Chinese government does not say anything,” she said. “I regret that people of my generation cannot learn and understand it during our school years, and I think that has changed our outlook about our future.”
Proposed legislation in the US outlines three conditions in which Washington would be authorized to protect Taiwan were China to invade, a report said yesterday. US Representative Ted Yoho this month said he would introduce a Taiwan Invasion Prevention Act, which would authorize US military force if China were to invade Taiwan-controlled areas, including its outlying islands. According to a version of the bill obtained by the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the sister paper of the Taipei Times), the bill lists three conditions in which a US president would be authorized to use military force to protect Taiwan: If China uses military force
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
Two new commuter trains are scheduled to be launched in January next year, the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) said yesterday. The acquisition of EMU-900 commuter train cars is part of the railway operator’s plan to replace 589 train cars that have been in operation for more than three decades. The agency has also placed orders to buy 600 intercity train cars. The first batch of 20 EMU-900 cars is to be delivered to the nation in September, although delivery might be delayed until October due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency said. The batch would be formed into two trains of 10
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s