A Taiwanese academic scheduled to attend an international seminar in Hong Kong commemorating the 25th anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre was turned away by Hong Kong customs officials early on Friday, with the customs official claiming to have been informed by Beijing that the academic’s entry permit had been annulled.
Tseng Chien-yuan (曾建元), an associate professor of public administration at Chung Hua University and a board member of the New School for Democracy, said he boarded a late-night plane bound for Hong Kong on Thursday, planning to attend a seminar held by the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China.
“At customs [in Hong Kong], they said they needed to examine my files and later told me that there are problems with my entry permit. At about 3:30am it was confirmed that I could not enter the city,” Tseng said.
Photo: Taipei Times
Emphasizing that his entry permit, the Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents, will not expire until the end of this year and that he did not plan to go to the mainland, Tseng said he asked the customs officers for the reason he was denied entry, but received ambiguous answers.
“Customs said they did not know the reason, but only knew that the notification of my permit being revoked was from Beijing,” Tseng said.
“It was curious to hear from the Hong Kong official, when I asked whether I was blocked because of the sensitive timing of the visit [with June 4, the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre, approaching], that the denial of entry was not necessarily associated with June 4, as, he told me, many people are also turned away in non-sensitive times [without justified reasons],” he said.
Tseng understood the remarks to imply that the Chinese government has started to tighten its grip on border control in Hong Kong, a city claimed by Beijing to be self-governing under the “one country, two systems” model.
Despite the Hong Kong official’s denial that the refusal of entry had anything to do with the bloody crushing of the 1989 student-led movement centered on Beijing’s Tiananmen Square, Tseng said that his permit was not recalled physically nor stamped. He said he has no idea whether he has been blacklisted for good or denied entry only this time.
Tseng said he believes this incident has done great harm to the city’s image of operating under rule of law and democratically.
“The spirit of the so-called ‘one country, two systems’ principle has vanished completely,” he said.
The New School for Democracy, an NGO that hosts courses and forums on freedom and democracy, in a statement yesterday denounced the incident and urged the Hong Kong authorities to provide a reasonable justification and take compensating measures, “otherwise the city’s status as an international free port and a global financial center could be tarnished.”
“Beijing has long been violating international law by restricting blacklisted democracy advocates’ visits to Hong Kong, but [Tseng] might be the first Taiwanese citizen, with legal and effective traveling documents, to be denied entry,” the statement said.
It called on the Taiwanese government to protest the violation of its national’s civil rights and request an explanation from Hong Kong immediately, lest the case open the floodgates for future political intervention by Beijing in the civil interaction between Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Two students who participated in the Sunflower movement and who traveled with Tseng successfully crossed the border. They were invited to share their experiences at the student movement, Tseng said.
Hong Kong Secretary of Security Lai Tung-kwok (黎棟國) on Friday said he could not comment on individual cases, but that officers had to turn away those who did not meet “relevant requirements.”
Meanwhile, pro-democracy Hong Kong Legislator Lee Cheuk-yan (李卓人) said that Tseng’s rejection was a worrying extension of the bans already placed on former student leaders of the Tiananmen Square protests, such as Wang Dan (王丹) and Wuer Kaixi.
“But this time it’s more outrageous. Even a Taiwanese academic is not allowed in. It’s affecting Hong Kong’s international image,” Lee said.
Additional reporting by AP
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying:
BILINGUAL ASSISTANCE: The center launched a chat bot that features Chinese and English interfaces to provide foreigners with instant information about the pandemic The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would discuss with other nations the possibility of allowing businesspeople to visit on a case-by-case basis. Asked about loosening border restrictions, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at the daily CECC news briefing that while the center is cautious about opening the nation’s borders, it would aim to diminish obstacles for important trade interactions without risking transmission of the novel coronavirus. Several foreign representatives in Taiwan have expressed an interest in the matter and the center would conduct related negotiations with the help of the
DELUSIONAL: The male patient said he did not know that the woman had mental problems, but the court said that her being restrained in isolation should have given him pause The Taiwan High Court has ordered the Jhudong branch of the Taiwan National University Hospital and a male patient to jointly pay a former female patient’s family NT$400,000 in compensation after the man had sex with the woman, who has mental problems, while hospitalized. The 26-year-old woman has been diagnosed with a mental disorder, a symptom of which is that she obsessively seeks to have sex, her mother said. The mother filed a formal complaint and sought damages from the hospital and the male patient surnamed Chen (陳) after finding out that her daughter had sex with the man while