Student activists occupying the legislative chamber yesterday condemned the government for using violence in dispersing protesters at the Executive Yuan.
“Students are not guilty! Dennis Wei (魏揚) is not guilty!” activists inside the legislative building shouted as they voiced their support for protesters occupying the Executive Yuan who were violently dispersed by police yesterday morning.
Wei is one of the student leaders of the protest.
Photo: Sam Yeh, AFP
“There is no violent crowd, but only violent government,” Chen Wei-ting (陳為廷), a graduate student at National Tsing Hua University and one of the protest leaders, told a press conference in the legislative chamber.
“President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) and Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) should be held responsible for the bloodshed during the forced eviction of protesters, who were only forced into taking over the Executive Yuan because Ma and Jiang ignored the demands raised by tens of thousands of people demonstrating within and outside the Legislative Yuan,” Chen said.
Hundreds of protesters began to storm into the Executive Yuan compound on Sunday evening in an attempt to take over the building — apparently following the model of another group of protesters, led by Chen and National Taiwan University graduate student Lin Fei-fan (林飛帆), who have occupied the Legislative Yuan since Tuesday last week.
Photo: David Chang, EPA
Unlike in the previous case, riot police were dispatched to evict the intruders this time, and by 5am yesterday, the Executive Yuan was cleared of demonstrators.
“It is especially unjust to press six charges against Wei, who was only there to maintain order and calm the crowd,” Chen said, bursting into tears.
Wei, also a graduate student at National Tsing Hua University, showed up at the demonstration after the crowd took over the Executive Yuan, hoping to prevent the situation from getting out of control. He tried to pacify the crowd until the last moment, when riot police surrounded him. He was arrested, and prosecutors have pressed six charges against him.
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times
Lee Chun-ta (李俊達), a spokesman for the protesters, said that lawyers sympathetic to their demonstration would file criminal complaints against Jiang, National Police Agency Director-General Wang Cho-chiun (王卓鈞) and other police chiefs who presided over the crackdown for the cruel treatment of the students.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘OUR PROPERTY’: A man speaking Mandarin with a Chinese accent told the journalists to leave and not enter the lobby or it would be ‘embarrassing’ for them Taiwanese reporters were harassed in San Francisco on Monday while trying to film the St Regis Hotel where Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) is to stay during the APEC summit. The reporters were filming the building’s exterior when they were confronted by a man speaking Mandarin with a mainland Chinese accent. They said he asked them not to film a portion of a driveway, which had a makeshift structure covered in white cloth over it. Vehicles with covered license plates could be seen using the driveway. The structure was “his property,” the man said, asking the reporters to delete any photographs or footage
BIGGER BOATS: Although ships routinely patrol around Taiping, the coast guard would deploy 100-tonne vessels to the island after a wharf expansion project, an official said A Coast Guard Administration (CGA) official yesterday reiterated that no US or Chinese vessels entered Taiwan’s territorial waters around Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島) in the disputed South China Sea on Nov. 3, despite counterclaims made by a Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislator. Jia Chih-kuo (賈治國), deputy head of the CGA’s patrol, made the statement during a news conference held by KMT Legislator Charles Chen (陳以信), when the lawmaker accused the CGA of lying about intrusions by US and Chinese warships earlier this month. Chen presented photographs he received from an anonymous source allegedly taken at the Taiwan-controlled island on Nov.
SECURITY ISSUE: It would be problematic if fishing boats with BDS terminal equipment installed were drafted for military exercises, a TSP legislator-at-large candidate said The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said it would investigate whether a Taiwanese fishing boat that was seized last year for drug trafficking had used terminal equipment linked to the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), which is operated by the China National Space Administration. “We have since 2018 informed fishers’ associations across the nation that their members should not use BeiDou Navigation Satellite System terminal equipment, as their specifications have yet to be verified and approved,” NCC Vice Chairman Wong Po-tsung (翁柏宗) said. “Our preliminary understanding from our staff in southern Taiwan is that the fishing boat could have been using a
Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) is launching a purge of the country’s military, a report on China released on Monday by the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. Xi and other high-ranking government members this year toured the country to gain a better understanding of the country’s defense, high-tech industries and the stability of its borders, while the government stepped up anti-corruption efforts in the military, sports and healthcare, the report said. China’s judicial and political systems are also working to tamp down public dissent, it said. Xi’s new purge of the ranks of the military has already begun, with many members of the