The Consumers’ Foundation yesterday said its latest random testing of vegetables for pesticides found that 91 percent of cowpeas, 67 percent of snow peas, 47 percent of string beans and 18 percent of sweet peppers bought in the Greater Taipei area contained excessive amounts of pesticide residues or pesticides that are not allowed.
The survey was conducted in April and May on 49 samples —11 cowpeas, 12 snow peas, 15 string beans and 11 sweet peppers — bought at hypermarkets, supermarkets, traditional markets and organic food stores, the foundation said.
Chen Chih-yi (陳智義), publisher of the foundation’s Consumer Reports Magazine, said 27 samples had pesticide residue exceeding the levels regulated by the Standards for Pesticide Residue Limits in Foods (殘留農藥安全容許量標準) or had banned pesticide on them.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
A few samples had as many as eight types of pesticides on them, Chen said.
Ten of the 11 cowpea samples violated regulations, the foundation said. One cowpea sample found with eight types of pesticide carried traces of chlorantraniliprole — which is not allowed to be used on the vegetable — and four other pesticides that exceeded regulated limits, including fenpropimorph residue that was up to 90 times the limit, the foundation said.
Another cowpea sample had four types of pesticide and oxycarboxin residue more than 200 times the regulated limit, the foundation said, adding that it was common for farmers to use several types of pesticides on cowpeas at once.
Cheng Cheng-yung (鄭正勇), member of the foundation’s food commission and a professor of horticulture at National Taiwan University, said because vegetables are often harvested in batches instead of being picked all at one time, various pesticides can accumulate on the plants over time. The used of mixed pesticides could affect consumers’ livers and damage their health, Cheng said.
Buying from organic stores is no guarantee of purity.
The survey said a sweet pepper purchased from an organic food store had six types of pesticides, including one type banned from use on sweet peppers and one type that exceeded the regulated amount.
The foundation said consumers can reduce their pesticide intake by not buying fruit and vegetables based just on their good appearance, buying vegetables in bags, soaking vegetables in water for at least 15 to 20 minutes before cooking, not putting lids on pots when cooking vegetables so pesticide residues can evaporate and not consuming the sauce or water left in a dish of cooked vegetables.
The Council of Agriculture said it would increase inspections on such vegetables and fine farmers who violate the Agro-pesticide Act (農藥管理法) more than NT15,000. It said it would also assist local agencies to establish agricultural product safety self-management mechanisms.
The council said it would hold at least 100 workshops in major vegetable production areas to instruct farms on appropriate pesticide usage, adding that farmers who do not attend the workshops would be a priority in future pesticide inspections.
CLASSES HALTED: Cram schools have had to return tuition fees due to mandatory closures and might need to lay off half of their staff because of a lack of revenue The COVID-19 pandemic has taken a toll on the education sector, with some cram schools and tutoring centers saying they might soon be unable to pay their instructors due to the extension of a nationwide level 3 COVID-19 alert. The heightened alert level means schools must remain closed, so cram schools and tutoring centers have had to return tuition fees, one cram school said. June is normally the peak season for recruiting new students at cram schools and tutoring centers, but this year many such schools might need to lay off half of their staff due to a lack of
A student at National Chengchi University jumped from the roof of his apartment in the early hours of Sunday after he was allegedly bullied online. The 21-year-old student, surnamed Huang (黃), on Friday last week posted on the university’s online discussion forum asking the public to judge a dispute he was having with a female roommate about rent. An anonymous post on the online forum Dcard appeared on the same day, saying he was the last person to judge others, and that he was “a heavy smoker, lazy, a terrible group member for class projects and a person with a poor
While the antiparasitic drug ivermectin is being touted as a treatment for COVID-19 in many parts of the world, Taiwanese experts on Monday warned against regular use of the drug in COVID-19 treatment, citing a lack of solid evidence. “Following an experts’ meeting, we do not recommend regular use of ivermectin in treating COVID-19 due to the lack of enough evidence,” said Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳), convener of the Central Epidemic Command Center’s (CECC) expert advisory panel. A report in the American Journal of Therapeutics said that meta-analyses based on 18 randomized controlled treatment trials of ivermectin in COVID-19 patients had found large,
A person who was on Friday reported as the first in Taiwan to die after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine died of a heart attack, a Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) official said yesterday. The deceased, whose sex and age were not disclosed, had coronary artery disease, which led to a fatal heart attack, Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is the CECC’s spokesman, told a news conference, citing the autopsy report. It was the first death listed as a possible adverse event after receiving the AstraZenenca COVID-19 vaccine since the start of the vaccination program on March 22. The