The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) yesterday denied that EU Representative Shen Lyu-hsun (沈呂巡) is set to succeed deputy minister Andrew Hsia (夏立言), who tendered his resignation on Monday.
The deputy minister post likely left vacant by Hsia must be filled by the president because it is a political appointment, MOFA spokesman Henry Chen (陳銘政) said.
The president, however, could authorize the foreign minister to find a replacement, Chen said.
Hsia is the first official to offer to resign over the government’s much criticized typhoon relief effort when he claimed responsibility for a MOFA cable, dated Aug. 11, that instructed overseas representative offices to reject foreign aid except for cash.
Sources at MOFA said Hsia would be on leave until early next month — a period of time set out by President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to issue demerits to officials.
Shen, a former representative to Geneva and former deputy representative to the US, is rumored to be tapped as Hsia’s replacement. Shen was considered an instrumental player in Taiwan’s long-term negotiations with the WHO on the country’s participation in the body, even though he left Geneva before Taiwan was handed observer satatus at the World Health Assembly in May.
In other developments, Vice Premier Paul Chiu (邱正雄) yesterday denied he signed off on the controversial document.
“I knew nothing about MOFA’s decision, I was not involved in the decision-making process,” Chiu said.
The Chinese-language Next Magazine reported yesterday that the decision to decline foreign aid was made at a meeting of the Central Emergency Operation Center (CEOC).
Chiu doubles as the chairman of the Executive Yuan’s National Disaster Prevention and Protection Commission, which supervises the CEOC.
Chiu denied the report, saying he learned from Chang Chih-yu (張志宇), the head of the Executive Yuan’s National Security Office, that it was National Fire Administration (NFA) Director-General Huang Chi-min (黃季敏) who said there was “no need for foreign aid at the moment.” Huang claimed that the NFA was not consulted.
SPEEDING ELETRIC VEHICLES: Available without license requirements, the low-cost vehicles, especially if illicitly modified, can often reach a dangerous speed The government should crack down on illegal electric bicycles and scooters, the non-profit Consumers’ Foundation said on Friday, citing research on the potentially dangerous speed of the vehicles. Electric bicycles and lightweight electric scooters have gained popularity as they do not require registration and riders do not need licenses, the foundation said, adding that as many as 40 percent of them can reach speeds exceeding the legal limit of 25kph for non-licensed two-wheelers. Some consumers also purchased legal electric vehicles and modified them to reach higher speeds, it said. “If the government does not step up efforts to confiscate these
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,
NEW CASE REPORTED: A man who returned from South Africa on a flight with the nation’s 460th and 461st cases has now tested positive for the disease The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that there is no need to test all arrivals to the nation for COVID-19, a policy the Executive Yuan supports. The center reported one new imported case, bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 477. The new case is a Taiwanese man in his 60s who on July 25 returned from South Africa, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), who is also the CECC’s spokesman. The man had returned to Taiwan on the same flight as cases Nos. 460 and 461, reported on July 27, Chuang said. On July 24,