Minister of Transportation and Communications Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) said yesterday that the ministry would complete plans for a new route for the Suhua Highway (Provincial Highway No. 9, 蘇花公路) by the beginning of next year.
Mao was confident the plans for the stretch of highway between Ilan County’s Suao (蘇澳) and Hualien County’s Chungde (崇德) would pass an environmental impact review by the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) with few complications.
He said he hoped construction to replace the section between Suao and Hualien County’s Hoping (和平), which he said was in the worst condition, would begin by the end of next year.
Mao said the ministry’s design was meant to improve conditions on the Suhua Highway and not to turn the highway into a freeway or an expressway, as critics have claimed.
The proposed route does not entirely follow the same route as the contentious Suhua Freeway (蘇花高速公路) would.
Rather than entrusting the project to the National Expressway Engineering Bureau, which is in charge of construction on all freeways and expressways, the ministry would turn the plans over to the Directorate-General of Highways, Mao said.
Mao made the remarks at the legislature yesterday, where he briefed the Transportation Committee about the ministry’s budget proposal for the next fiscal year.
The Suhua Highway is the only highway connecting the north with the east coast.
Statistics from the highways agency indicate that traffic flow on the Suhua Highway was disrupted because of various problems for at least 144 days between 1994 and 2006.
On average, the Suao-Hoping section is either closed or reduced to one lane — that must accommodate traffic in both directions — for 50 days each year.
The National Police Agency said that 10,495 traffic accidents had occurred on the Suhua Highway, killing 1,046 people.
More than 13,000 have been injured in accidents on the highway, it said.
The death rate was about 15 times higher than any freeway on the west coast.
Mao said in July that the government must respond to the requests of east coast residents who are dissatisfied with the highway.
It is the government’s duty to provide “a safe route home,” he said at the time.
Environmentalists, however, fear the ministry’s proposal is little more than a new name for the Suhua Freeway.
In April, the EPA rejected plans to construct the Suhua Freeway — a project that had been the focus of debate for a decade — at the recommendation of an Environmental Impact Assessment Committee.
The committee said the proposal should be shelved and that the transportation ministry should first make improvements to Provincial Highway No. 9 and increase the frequency of trains to Hualien.
Meanwhile, legislators questioned Mao yesterday over whether he would be able to achieve campaign promises made by President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) concerning transportation projects.
Mao said the ministry would definitely carry out projects promised by Ma, but that the timeline for realizing Ma’s promises would be variable and depend on the budget allocated to the ministry.
AGING: While Japan has 22 submarines, Taiwan only operates four, two of which were commissioned by the US in 1945 and 1946, and transferred to Taiwan in 1973 Taiwan would need at least 12 submarines to reach modern fleet capabilities, CSBC Corp, Taiwan chairman Chen Cheng-hung (陳政宏) said in an interview broadcast on Friday, citing a US assessment. CSBC is testing the nation’s first indigenous defense submarine, the Hai Kun (海鯤, Narwhal), which is scheduled to be delivered to the navy next month or in July. The Hai Kun has completed torpedo-firing tests and is scheduled to undergo overnight sea trials, Chen said on an SET TV military affairs program. Taiwan would require at least 12 submarines to establish a modern submarine force after assessing the nation’s operational environment and defense
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
The coast guard today said that it had disrupted "illegal" operations by a Chinese research ship in waters close to the nation and driven it away, part of what Taipei sees a provocative pattern of China's stepped up maritime activities. The coast guard said that it on Thursday last week detected the Chinese ship Tongji (同濟號), which was commissioned only last year, 29 nautical miles (54km) southeast of the southern tip of Taiwan, although just outside restricted waters. The ship was observed lowering ropes into the water, suspected to be the deployment of scientific instruments for "illegal" survey operations, and the coast
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November