Minister of National Defense Chen Chao-min (陳肇敏) said yesterday that if the US does not approve Taiwan’s arms procurement package, not only would it affect the nation’s defense capability but it would also lead other democratic countries to cast doubt on US pledges and its ability to promote democracy.
Chen, who is attending a defense industry conference in the US, told reporters that while the government of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) is committed to improving relations with China, it puts national security first, and Taiwan needs a strong defense capability to negotiate from a position of strength.
Failure to upgrade Taiwan’s air force would cause a military imbalance between Taiwan and China, he said.
If Taiwan were to fall to China, it would break the chain of islands that make up the US’ forward line of defense in the region, he said.
Chen said the budget for buying F-16 aircraft had been approved by the legislature.
However, if the current arms sales package is not approved by the US, the budget would have to be resubmitted, and it is not certain that the funds would be available next time, he said.
Taiwan is seeking to buy seven weapons systems from the US — anti-tank missiles, Apache helicopters, Patriot PAC-3 missile batteries, diesel-electric submarines, P3C Orion anti-submarine aircraft, sea-launched Harpoon anti-ship missiles and Black Eagle helicopters.
The US State Department on Friday told Taiwanese media based in Washington that the arms procurement package was still under interdepartmental screening by the administration and that it would notify Congress immediately when it reaches a decision.
Congress was scheduled to enter into recess last Friday, but it was postponed for a week because of the deadlock over a US$700 billion bailout package for Wall Street.
Chen, who will also visit Taiwanese naval and air force officers being trained in California and Arizona, is the first Taiwanese defense minister to travel to the US since 2002, when Tang Yao-ming (湯曜明) attended a similar conference in Texas.
In Taipei, Ministry of National Defense (MND) spokeswoman Major General Lisa Chi (池玉蘭) said the ministry’s resolve and stance on the arms package remains unchanged as it awaits the US administration’s decision.
The ministry is still hopeful that Washington will agree to sell the weapons systems to Taiwan, even though Congress will soon go into recess, she said.
“It has not yet come to the last moment,” she said. “We of course are still cautiously optimistic and hold out hope that the arms package will be approved.”
Although Congress is now focused on the bailout, it could also deal with other items during the session, possibly including the arms procurement package, she said.
On whether the ministry has a backup plan if the arms procurement package was stalled or scrapped, Chi said the ministry had prepared contingent measures to help build up the nation’s defense.
The cautious optimism contrasted with media reports that the arms package had no chance of passage this year.
Although a post-session notification is legal, it seems highly likely that the package will be left to the next US administration to deal with.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chu Fong-chih (朱鳳芝) yesterday said the stalled arms sales were a result of the former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration’s constant provocation of the US when it was in office.
“We were victimized by the DPP,” she said.
DPP legislators, on the other hand, said the delay was the result of the Ma government’s apparent attitude of surrender toward China.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY FLORA WANG
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
The National Taiwan Museum’s Railway Department Park in Taipei is to open to the public today. The park in Datong District (大同) near the North Gate (北門, Beimen) is one of the museum’s four branches. During the Japanese colonial era, the site housed the railway department of the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan’s Bureau of Transportation. After World War II, it served as the headquarters for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) for several decades. In 2007, it was listed as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法). At an opening ceremony yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung
CHALLENGER DEEP: Lin Ying-Tsong was invited by Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo to join him on a 10-hour long trip in the company’s submersible Taiwanese-American Lin Ying-Tsong (林穎聰) last month became the first person from Asia and the 12th in human history to dive into the deepest part on Earth, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Lin, 45, an expert in deep sea acoustics with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, joined US adventurer and Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo, 54, on June 22 in a descent to the central pool of the Challenger Deep, the deepest point of the trench, which lies at a depth of more than 10,900m. The pair made the descent in a submersible named Limiting Factor, a US$37