The last military simulation drill of President Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) presidency began yesterday, with president-elect Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) not in attendance.
The annual exercise, code-named Yushan, simulated various crises. It began on Chen’s order yesterday morning and will run through Sunday.
Television footage showed Chen and Cabinet ministers entering the Yuanshan command center in Dazhi (大直), Taipei City, in the morning, while Vice President Annette Lu (呂秀蓮) was stationed at the Longtan (龍潭) command center in Taoyuan County.
PHOTO: LIN CHENG-KUN, TAIPEI TIMES
Chen was later transported by armored trucks to a command center in Taoyuan, where he held a video conference with Lu in response to the simulated crisis. This year’s scenario takes place in 2020, with the People’s Liberation Army deploying an aircraft carrier and launching a full-scale attack on the east coast.
The exercise consists of three stages. The first stage began yesterday and ends today. Participants did not receive advance notice as to when the exercise would begin. The first stage included the president’s call for a national security meeting, an address to the nation on TV and radio and an emergency news conference held by the premier.
The second stage, to be held on Thursday and Friday, also with no exact schedule provided in advance, will test infrastructure security at five critical facilities in Taipei City, Taipei County and Ilan County.
The exercise will include Internet security; coordination between the military, law enforcement and the coast guard; and prevention of fires at and recovery of key infrastructure.
The final stage, which will begin at 10pm on Saturday and end at 1pm the following day, will focus on crisis management, decision-making and planning and communication between government agencies.
Chen had invited Ma to observe the military drill organized by the National Security Council, but Ma declined to attend. Ma’s spokesman said the president-elect’s schedule was full.
The exercise was then postponed at the recommendation of Lu to accommodate Ma’s schedule in the hope he would be able to attend.
Kenting National Park service technician Yang Jien-fon (楊政峰) won a silver award in World Grand Prix Photography Awards Spring Season for his photograph of two male rat snakes intertwined in combat. Yang’s colleagues at Kenting National Park said he is a master of nature photography who has been held back by his job in civil service. The awards accept entries in all four seasons across six categories: architectural and urban photography, black-and-white and fine art photography, commercial and fashion photography, documentary and people photography, nature and experimental photography, and mobile photography. Awards are ranked according to scores and divided into platinum, gold and
More than half of the bamboo vipers captured in Tainan in the past few years were found in the city’s Sinhua District (新化), while other districts had smaller catches or none at all. Every year, Tainan captures about 6,000 snakes which have made their way into people’s homes. Of the six major venomous snakes in Taiwan, the cobra, the many-banded krait, the brown-spotted pit viper and the bamboo viper are the most frequently captured. The high concentration of bamboo vipers captured in Sinhua District is puzzling. Tainan Agriculture Bureau Forestry and Nature Conservation Division head Chu Chien-ming (朱健明) earlier this week said that the
The first bluefin tuna of the season, brought to shore in Pingtung County and weighing 190kg, was yesterday auctioned for NT$10,600 (US$333.5) per kilogram, setting a record high for the local market. The auction was held at the fish market in Donggang Fishing Harbor, where the Siaoliouciou Island-registered fishing vessel Fu Yu Ching No. 2 delivered the “Pingtung First Tuna” it had caught for bidding. Bidding was intense, and the tuna was ultimately jointly purchased by a local restaurant and a local company for NT$10,600 per kilogram — NT$300 ,more than last year — for a total of NT$2.014 million. The 67-year-old skipper
BREACH OF CONTRACT: The bus operators would seek compensation and have demanded that the manufacturer replace the chips with ones that meet regulations Two bus operators found to be using buses with China-made chips are to demand that the original manufacturers replace the systems and provide compensation for breach of contract, the Veterans Affairs Council said yesterday. Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Michelle Lin (林楚茵) yesterday said that Da Nan Bus Co and Shin-Shin Bus Co Ltd have fielded a total of 82 buses that are using Chinese chips. The bus models were made by Tron-E, while the systems provider was CYE Electronics, Lin said. Lin alleged that the buses were using chips manufactured by Huawei subsidiary HiSilicon Co, which presents a national security risk if the