Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) presidential candidate Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) yesterday welcomed his Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) counterpart's statement that "Taiwan is the Republic of China [ROC]."
Hsieh was speaking about a statement released by Ma Ying-jeou's (馬英九) campaign office late on Saturday night.
"We hope the DPP will not collude with China in attacking the Republic of China," Ma's statement read. "The Republic of China and Taiwan have now become inseparable. Taiwan is the Republic of China, harming the Republic of China means harming Taiwan."
Hsieh called on Ma to follow in the DPP's footsteps regarding its discourse on the issue of the nation's sovereignty.
DPP Chairman Yu Shyi-kun, on the other hand, panned Ma for being a plagiarist.
Yu said the DPP had already proposed such a discourse eight years ago in its "Taiwan Future Resolution."
FLIP-FLOP
Criticizing Ma for continually changing his stance on the issue, Yu said voters should not take this latest statement too seriously.
In response, Ma said yesterday he was not following in the DPP's footsteps because he and Hsieh had different views.
"He [Hsieh] is running for president of the Republic of Taiwan and I am running for president of the Republic of China," Ma said.
Executive Yuan Secretary-General Chen Ching-chun (陳景峻) yesterday demanded that Ma clarify whether his version of the ROC's territory included China.
"Is he saying that Taiwan is the ROC and China is part of the ROC? That would suggest Taiwan is part of China," Chen said.
Ma's statement suggests he does not identify with Taiwan, Chen said.
CONTRADICTION
Ma's latest statement appeared to contradict remarks made by the KMT's representative to the Cabinet's Referendum Review Committee.
Minutes of a committee meeting showed KMT representative to the committee, Liao Feng-de (廖風德), saying the country could only return to the UN as the ROC.
Liao made the statement in the committee's sixth meeting, saying that since the country once participated in the UN under the ROC name, it must return to the UN as the ROC. If it were to apply for membership using any other name, the move would not be a return to the UN but a new application by a new member, Liao was quoted as saying in the minutes.
The KMT's version of a referendum asks: "Do you agree this country should apply to return to the UN and other international organizations with a practical and flexible strategy, that is, do you approve using the name ROC, or Taiwan, or other names conducive both to the success of the mission and to maintaining dignity?"
The committee, which in June turned down the DPP's proposal for a referendum on the nation's application to join the UN using the name "Taiwan," gave the go-ahead to the KMT's proposal late last month.
TWO REFERENDUMS
The committee's approval means that there will now possibly be two referendums on securing a UN seat, should both parties complete the second stage of their signature collection drives, in which they need to collect more than 825,359 signatures supporting their version of the referendum.
The review committee, composed of members recommended by political parties in proportion to the number of legislative seats, originally had 21 members, but the eight DPP representatives resigned en masse following the rejection of the DPP's proposed referendum.
The DPP started its second-stage signature drive earlier this month after the Cabinet's Appeal Committee overruled the Referendum Review Committee's rejection.
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a