The burial of late president Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石) and his son Chiang Ching-kuo (蔣經國) is expected to take place in March or April next year as scheduled, even though construction of their burial plots has been delayed by bad weather, a Ministry of National Defense (MND) official said yesterday.
Although construction of the Chiangs' tombs, located at the Wutzushan (
The command confirmed a statement from the Bureau of Armaments and Acquisition -- the builder of the tombs -- that construction began in early March this year and will be ready as scheduled, without any compromises in the quality and design of the structure.
According to the command, the affairs regarding the relocation of the two Chiangs -- from their interim mausoleums in Taoyuan, northern Taiwan -- to the cemetery for permanent interment will be taken care of by the Ministry of the Interior, in line with the State Funeral Law.
As to the management of the tombs, this will be transferred from the MND to the Vocational Assistance Commission for Retired Servicemen under the Executive Yuan.
Chiang Kai-shek fled to Taiwan in 1949 after losing China to the Mao Zedong (毛澤東)-led communist party in a bloody civil war. He died in 1975 and his remains were embalmed in a temporary mausoleum at Tzuhu (慈湖) in Taoyuan, awaiting proper burial in China.
Chiang Ching-kuo, who died in 1988 also lies embalmed in a seperate mausoleum, at Touliao (
Two people were killed and another nine injured yesterday after being stung by hornets while hiking in New Taipei City’s Rueifang District (瑞芳), with officials warning against wearing perfume or straying from trails during the autumn to avoid the potentially deadly creatures. Seven of the hikers only sustained minor injuries after being stung along the Bafenliao Hiking Trail (八分寮) and made their way down the mountain with a guide, the New Taipei City Fire Department said. Four of them — all male — sustained more serious injuries and were assisted when leaving the mountain, the department said. Two of them, a man surnamed
Recent movements by the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have been “highly unusual,” but the military maintains a grasp of the situation, Minister of National Defense Chiu Kuo-cheng (邱國正) said on Friday, after the military for the first time said it was monitoring troop movements in China’s Dacheng Bay (大埕灣). The minister gave the remarks to reporters before appearing at the legislature on the first day of its new session. The Ministry of National Defense on Thursday evening released an air force surveillance photograph of a PLA Shaanxi Y-8 anti-submarine aircraft, and said it was monitoring the PLA Rocket Force and ground
‘ABNORMITY’: News of the military exercises on the coast of the Chinese province facing Taiwan were made public by the Ministry of National Defense on Thursday Taiwan’s military yesterday said it has detected the Chinese military initiating a round of exercises at a bay area in coastal Fujian Province, which faces Taiwan, since early yesterday morning and it has been closely monitoring the drills. The exercises being conducted at Fujian’s Dacheng Bay featured an undisclosed number of People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) warplanes, warships and ground troops, the Ministry of National Defense said in a press statement. The ministry did not disclose what kind of military exercises are being conducted there and for how long they would be happening, but it did say that it has been closely watching
China’s Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Hong Kong has asked foreign consulates in Hong Kong to submit details of their local staff, which is more proof that the “one country, two systems” model no longer exists, a Taiwanese academic said. The office sent letters dated Monday last week to consulates in the territory, giving them one month to submit the information it requires. The move followed Beijing’s attempt to obtain floor plans for all properties used by foreign missions in Hong Kong last year, which raised concerns among diplomats that the information could be used for