A potential Sino-US agreement on a reduction of arms sales to Taipei might prompt Taiwan to accelerate the development of its own offensive missile systems, the authoritative Jane's Defense Weekly said.
Reports from Washington indicate that the White House is now considering the Chinese proposal for freezing additional deployments of tactical ballistic missiles aimed at Taiwan in exchange for a reduction in arms sales to Taipei, Jane's said.
"Although it is a possibility, I would take this with a grain of salt. We would fight it," stated another US government source. Pro-Taiwan supporters in the US government, referred to as the "Blue Team," would clearly be opposed to the Chinese proposal.
China has 100 Dong Feng-11 and 300 Dong Feng-15 tactical ballistic missiles deployed within range of Taiwan.
Minister of Foreign Affairs Eugene Chien (簡又新) has rejected the swap plan outright, arguing that it was "unreasonable and unfair."
Jane's warned that "if Washington and Beijing broker a deal, it may encourage Taiwan to continue with plans to develop a short-range ballistic missile -- based on the Tien Kung [Sky Bow] surface-to-air missile -- and a cruise missile [HF-2E] based on the Hsiung Feng [Brave Wind] anti-ship missile."
The US and Taiwan have only recently been able to move forward with a plan to deploy a missile defense system that would include an early-warning radar (EWR) and PAC-3 missiles.
Taipei has formally presented a letter of request to the US to purchase three Lockheed Martin PAC-3 units and for upgrades of three Raytheon PAC-2 Plus units to PAC-3 standards.
A US government source confirmed that "Taiwan is moving forward on missile defence, including PAC-3 and EWR."
The government has deployed three batteries of PAC-2 Plus anti-missile weaponry to defend the Greater Taipei area.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a