Song Yadong was so obsessed with Chinese martial arts that he convinced his mother to send him off to learn at the feet of the famous Shaolin masters.
He was just nine years old at the time.
“I had watched a lot of kung fu movies, so I wanted to be like my heroes, like Jet Li,” Song said. “I went to Shaolin and I trained, getting up each day at 5am. It was harder than I ever expected.”
A decade later and Song’s thirst for action has led him into the ranks of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) and on to the biggest stage in mixed martial arts (MMA).
“I left Shaolin after two years and then I learned about MMA,” the 20-year-old said. “I like the action, I like the fact every fight tests you and that you always have to work to be the best fighter you can be.”
Song is at the forefront of the Las Vegas-based promotion’s push into China, the country many consider the spiritual home of all martial arts, and the Tianjin-born fighter is among nine locals set to take part in the UFC’s first fight card to be held in Beijing.
Tonight is the UFC Fight Night 141 event at Beijing’s Cadillac Arena, headlined by a blockbuster bout between heavyweight contenders in Cameroonian-Frenchman Francis “The Predator” Ngannou (11-3) and American Curtis “Razor” Blaydes.
However, there is little doubt where Chinese fans’ attention — and hopes — will rest.
“It will be the biggest chance for us Chinese fighters and for the sport to grow in China,” said Song, who is to face American Vince “Vandetta” Morales.
Song’s rise to the UFC has captured China’s attention, as has the origin story he carries with him.
When he was 15, Song was so focused on becoming a professional MMA fighter that he used a forged ID card to convince local promotions that he was 18 and legally allowed to fight.
“I was super aggressive back then,” Song said. “I just wanted to fight, so I used the fake ID. I looked strong enough so they believed me.”
After plying his trade in domestic and regional fight promotions — and racking up 10 wins and three losses — Song received a surprise call in November last year, just weeks before the UFC was set to make its debut in China.
Called in to replace an injured fighter on the UFC Fight Night 122 card, Song needed just more than four minutes to choke out India’s Bharat Khandare.
He backed up that performance in June with a second-round knockout of Brazilian veteran Filipe Arantes in Singapore, and so comes to Beijing on a 2-0 run and with a 12-3 win-loss record overall.
“There is still a lot of room for improvement in my skills,” Song said. “I am focused on winning step by step, fight by fight. I have been training with [UFC Hall of Famer] Urijah Faber and his Team Alpha Male in California, and I am learning.”
“Chinese fighters need more experience, but soon we will be a force,” he added.
The UFC has 11 Chinese fighters on its books, a mix of established stars such as the veteran welterweight Li “The Leech” Jingliang and rising stars such as Song and female strawweight Zhang Weili, with all three in action today.
This week the organization announced an investment of about US$13 million in what it called the world’s biggest MMA academy in Shanghai, designed to help Chinese fighters make the transition from smaller fight promotions to the UFC octagon.
Song has replaced “The Terminator” as his fight name with “The Monkey King” in reference to the mythical Chinese hero Sun Wukong.
He believes China’s rich history in martial arts has the country — and its fighters — well positioned as MMA continues to take hold.
“We have the history in China,” Song said. “This is only the beginning.”
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last