The president of the German Football Association (DFB) on Monday resigned over a suspect payment to FIFA, saying that he was taking “political responsibility” despite not having done anything wrong.
The payment in connection with the 2006 World Cup in Germany has led to a tax evasion probe against Wolfgang Niersbach and two other former top-ranking DFB officials.
“I have realized myself that that the time has come to take political responsibility for the events around the 2006 World Cup ... [although] I can say that I worked there absolutely cleanly and conscientiously,” Niersbach told reporters after an emergency meeting of the DFB’s board.
Frankfurt prosecutors are investigating a payment of 6.7 million euros (US$7.2 million) the DFB made to FIFA in connection with the 2006 tournament.
Niersbach, who has been the president of the DFB since 2012, is also a member of the executive committee of both FIFA and UEFA. He had been seen as a possible successor to Michel Platini as UEFA president.
Rainer Koch and Reinhard Rauball, two DFB vice presidents, are to jointly take over in a caretaker position and said they wanted Niersbach to continue working in the international bodies. The board had no power to dismiss Niersbach, who stressed that the resignation was a personal decision.
“Things have surfaced in the past few days that lead me to resign, in the sense of political responsibility,” Niersbach said, without giving details.
Speaking after Niersbach’s resignation, Koch said a law firm hired by the DFB to look into the affair had singled out a number of points that need further clarification.
“They give us cause to say that we’ll have to look very closely into the circumstances of how the 2006 World Cup was awarded,” Koch said without giving details.
Germany won the bid by one vote over South Africa in 2000. Koch said there was no indication of any vote-buying, as alleged by Niersbach’s predecessor.
Niersbach, 64, said he was stepping down “with a heavy heart,” adding: “I can say in good conscience that I have nothing to reproach myself” over the payment at the center of the case.
Niersbach was a high-ranking member of the 2006 World Cup organizing committee in charge of media and marketing and said in a statement released late on Monday that he had not been involved in the payment and did not know about it at the time.
Niersbach said the 2006 World Cup remained “a highlight in my career.”
“That’s why it is more than bitter to find out now that apparently things happened then of which I had no knowledge,” he told reporters.
Niersbach declined to take questions.
His predecessor, Theo Zwanziger, had accused Niersbach of lying and said he had been aware of the payment at the time. Zwanziger has also alleged that Germany used a slush fund to buy votes for its successful bid to stage the 2006 World Cup, an allegation denied by Niersbach.
Zwanziger and former DFB general secretary Horst Schmidt are also implicated in the tax evasion probe. Agents searched the homes of Niersbach, Zwanziger and Schmidt last week and seized documents. Zwanziger and Niersbach have been foes for years.
When the affair broke last month, Niersbach said that the money was paid to FIFA in return for a substantial grant to the organizing committee in a deal brokered by Franz Beckenbauer and now-suspended FIFA president Sepp Blatter. It was paid through a French businessman and later repaid, according to Niersbach.
Beckenbauer has spoken little on the subject, except to say that the deal was a mistake.
Both Blatter and FIFA have denied any knowledge of the payment. It was made on behalf of the DFB by the late Adidas chief Robert Louis-Dreyfus in 2002 and repaid in 2005, according to Niersbach’s version.
Frankfurt prosecutors say the payment was falsely declared to evade taxes.
The weekly Der Spiegel, which first reported on the payment, said in its latest issue that a signature apparently belonging to Niersbach was found on a 2004 document for the payment to Louis-Dreyfus. Niersbach had said he only heard about the payment vaguely this summer and was given details about it by Beckenbauer last month.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes