In contrast to the previous two years, Barcelona have enjoyed the calm of a summer without major changes on and off the pitch after claiming a second treble in six years.
Success breeds stability, but the lack of movement in the transfer market was partly imposed on the club as it served the last of a two-window ban on registering players for breaking FIFA rules in signing minors.
That has not stopped the Catalans splashing nearly 60 million euros (US$66.5 million) on Arda Turan and Aleix Vidal from Atletico Madrid and Sevilla respectively, but neither are able to play until January when the market reopens.
Both were signed ahead of the big event of Barca’s summer — their presidential elections — as Josep Maria Bartomeu attempted to pull out all the stops to stay in power.
There were also new contracts for coach Luis Enrique and Dani Alves, and the elections went swimmingly for Bartomeu as he routed former president and long-term rival Joan Laporta to win the right to lead the club for another six years.
So what can stop a settled Barca side containing a front three of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar, which scored a record 122 goals on the way to winning the UEFA Champions League, Copa del Rey and La Liga last season?
At Barcelona a drama is never far away as evidenced by the fact that Enrique was on the verge of the sack back in January before ending his debut season in the hot seat with three major trophies.
Off the field, despite his election success, Bartomeu’s position is likely to come under more scrutiny as he is due to stand trial later this year on tax evasion charges over a controversial deal that brought Neymar to the club in 2013.
Meanwhile, on the pitch, there could also be problems ahead due to a lack of balance as evidenced by a 5-1 aggregate drubbing by Athletic Bilbao in the Supercopa de Espana and blowing a 4-1 lead against Sevilla before claiming the UEFA Super Cup 5-4 after extra-time just days previously.
Even when Turan and Vidal are free to play, they are likely to be restricted to bit part roles amongst a throng of attacking talent.
The defense has not been strengthened at all and a reliance on Gerard Pique could be exposed in a challenging start to the league season.
Pique was sent off for losing his cool with officials in the second leg of the Supercopa de Espana against Bilbao as Barca’s hopes of winning six trophies in a calendar year slipped away.
As a result, he was expected to be suspended by the Royal Spanish Football Federation later yesterday for Barca’s return to San Mames to face Bilbao on the first day of the La Liga season and for the trip to Atletico Madrid on Sept. 12.
“I want to apologize because the attitude with which I protested was not the correct one,” Pique said.
In midfield, the talismanic presence of Xavi Hernandez is likely to be missed for the first time in 17 years, while doubts remain over the ability of youngsters Rafinha and Sergi Roberto to provide cover to Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta and Ivan Rakitic.
Yet, all those worries pale into comparison with those faced by Barca’s opponents in stopping arguably the most fearsome strike force world soccer has ever seen.
With Suarez free to start the campaign unlike last season when he was banned until October and fresh after missing the Copa America from suspension, Barca’s South American triumvirate could easily top their tally from last year.
Having won five titles in the past seven years, Barca remain the team to beat in La Liga.
Additional reporting by staff writer
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
A businessman who received millions of dollars for his work on Tokyo’s successful campaign to host the 2020 Olympic Games has said that he played a key role in securing the support of a former Olympics powerbroker suspected by French prosecutors of taking bribes to help Japan’s bid. Haruyuki Takahashi, a former executive at the advertising agency Dentsu, was paid US$8.2 million by the committee that spearheaded Tokyo’s bid for the 2020 Games, financial records showed. Takahashi said the work included lobbying International Olympic Committee (IOC) members such as Lamine Diack, the ex-Olympics powerbroker, and that he gave Diack gifts, including digital
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the