Scotland’s Ricky Burns climbed off the canvas to controversially hold onto his WBO lightweight title after a draw with tough Mexican Raymundo Beltran in Glasgow on Saturday.
Burns kept his crown after one judge awarded him the win by a score of 115-112, with another plumping for Beltran by 115-113 with the third seeing it as a draw 114-114.
However, even the partisan home crowd could scarcely seem to believe the result in a fight Beltran seemed to dominate throughout.
Burns suffered a dislocated jaw in the second round, was almost decked in the fourth and was finally floored in eighth, while Beltran never seemed in trouble.
The 30-year-old Scot was making the fourth defense of the title he first won at the end of 2011, beating Australian Michael Katsidis on points.
However, he struggled with Beltran’s power throughout and in the breaks between the latter rounds repeatedly complained about his jaw.
Beltran, a former sparring partner of Philippine great Manny Pacquiao, was in his first ever world title fight and had lost three of his previous nine bouts, but he dispelled any notion that he was the inexperienced campaigner at this level by dominating throughout.
The 32-year-old Mexican’s record moved to 28 wins, six defeats and one draw while Burns, a former WBO super-featherweight champion, is now 36-3-1.
Burns started brightly enough, using his jab and controlling the range in the first round, but from the second round, Beltran started to enjoy increasing success with his left hook.
That was the shot that almost put Burns on the floor in the fourth round, but the Coatbridge fighter did not learn his lesson and he was caught flush on the chin at the beginning of round eight — and this time he was sent sprawling to the canvas.
The 30-year-old got to his feet at the count of eight and managed to clear his head and survive the round.
Burns, who said he would happily give Beltran a rematch, added: “Halfway through that fight, I don’t know how I got through that,” because of the pain to his jaw.
“Beltran hardly seemed surprised by the result, although he said he had “absolutely” won the fight.
“I did everything I had to do to win this fight,” he said. “Politics, it’s always the same thing. There’s a promoter, there’s money involved, it’s a business. It is what it is. It’s disrespectful for the fighters, for the fans and they [promoters] just play with the business because they have the power. I get robbed every time right and left. It’s so frustrating because it’s hard work and sacrifice and you put your life on the line. I’m the champion.”
Lin Yun-ju on Thursday handed Taiwan two key victories as they advanced to the semi-finals of the ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals in London. The Taiwan men’s table tennis team beat Sweden 3-2 in five singles matches. The 24-year-old Lin, Taiwan’s top-ranked player at world No. 7 and nicknamed the “Silent Assassin,” opened the tie by defeating world No. 2 Truls Moregard 3-0 (11-8, 11-9, 13-11) before clinching the deciding fifth match with a 3-0 (11-8, 11-9, 11-5) win over Anton Kallberg to hand his team the overall victory. Kuo Guan-hong put Taiwan up 2-0 with a 3-2 (4-11, 11-8, 8-11,
Aryna Sabalenka on Thursday said that she hoped she would be able to play tennis under the Belarusian flag after the International Olympic Committee lifted its ban on the country’s athletes competing in the Olympics. World No. 1 Sabalenka has had to compete under a neutral banner as a consequence of her country’s support for Russia following its ally’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022. The IOC earlier on Thursday lifted its ban on Belarusian athletes competing in the Olympics, although restrictions on Russian athletes remain in place. Asked whether the women’s tour would drop the ban on her representing her country, Sabalenka said:
China’s Wu Yize on Monday won the World Snooker Championship for the first time with a dramatic 18-17 victory over Shaun Murphy in the final. Wu held his nerve to seal his thrilling triumph in a tense last frame shoot-out at Sheffield’s Crucible Theatre. The 22-year-old is the second Chinese player to win the world title after Zhao Xintong beat Mark Williams to make history as the first Asian to lift the trophy last year. Wu is also the second-youngest player to be crowned world champion at the Crucible after Stephen Hendry, who was 21 when he won in 1990. “I have been trying
Real Madrid announced on Friday they had fined Aurelien Tchouameni and Federico Valverde 500,000 euros (US$588,000) each after a training ground clash that saw Valverde transported for medical care. The club did not impose any sporting sanctions on the two players, saying in a statement that the fine “thereby concludes the internal procedures” launched against them. Valverde is going to miss today’s Clasico against Barcelona as a result of the head injury he suffered during the altercation. The club said he would be out for up to two weeks. Tchouameni took part in training on Friday and could feature at Camp