South Africa won the two-match Twenty20 series against Pakistan with a second six-wicket victory at the Zayed International Cricket Stadium.
Having won the toss and chosen to bat for the second day running, Pakistan could only set a target of 121 — one more than in Tuesday’s match — and duly suffered the same fate.
Graeme Smith led the way for South Africa with 38 while Colin Ingram contributed 31 off 17 balls as South Africa reached the modest target with eight balls to spare.
Earlier South African bowlers Rusty Theron (4-27) and Lonwabo Tsotsobe (2-20) shared the bowling honors.
For Pakistan, Misbah-ul-Haq was once again the top scorer with 33 while Abdul Razzaq chipped in with a breezy 25.
The teams will contest the first of five one-day internationals in Abu Dhabi today, before a two-Test series.
South Africa’s Twenty20 skipper Johan Botha said he was delighted with the bowling of Tsotsobe and Theron.
“Before today’s match I just asked them to just be consistent and repeat their displays of the first game,” Botha said. “To be consistent twice really augurs well for the team.”
“This 2-0 win gives us a good start for the series ahead. We have got a bit of momentum and we would like to carry that forward,” he said.
South Africa struck early in Pakistan’s innings when Tsotsobe removed both openers Shahzaib Hasan and Imran Farhat for single figures. At the other end, Morne Morkel bowled Mohammed Hafeez as Pakistan was reduced to 29-3.
Umar Akmal, the highest Twenty20 scorer this year, was on five when he went for a non-existent second run and was run out, leaving his team four down for 36.
Skipper Afridi came and left after playing an irresponsible shot, but Misbah, as he did during an unbeaten 27 in the first match on Tuesday, played some steady cricket while Razzaq slammed two sixes in his 29-ball innings of 25.
Misbah fell in the final over for a fighting 33 off 38 balls as Theron grabbed three wickets in that over to finish with 4-27.
Pakistan skipper Afridi said he was unhappy with his own batting form.
“Yes I played badly and if I had clicked the result would have been different,” he said. “However you must know that we are more of a one-day team and I am very confident that we will show our potential in the five-match ODI series.”
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
The Rakuten Monkeys remained atop the CPBL table, despite a 5-7 loss to the Uni-President Lions in Taoyuan yesterday, while the CTBC Brothers fell to the Fubon Guardians at the Taichung Intercontinental Stadium. The visiting Guardians blasted three home runs in their 7-3 triumph, helping Dominican pitcher Henry Sosa pocket his second win of the season. Improving his record to 2-2, Sosa sailed through seven innings, allowing six hits while striking out five. He gave up one earned run in the opening frame, with two Brothers relievers mopping up the final two innings. Fubon’s marquee stars, designated hitter Hu Chin-lung and first baseman
When Chinese Super League club Tianjin Tianhai surprisingly thrashed Rafael Benitez’s Dalian Yifang 5-1 to stay in the league in November last year, disgruntled fans were quick to allege corruption — the legacy of a murky past that exploded into scandal 10 years ago. Benitez, who led Liverpool to the 2005 UEFA Champions League title, was perplexed by one of the heaviest defeats of his coaching career, saying: “This is a game that I don’t quite understand.” Despite fan complaints to the Chinese Football Association (CFA), no case was brought and there is no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the haste with which some
Georgian tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili, ranked 27th in the world, was on Sunday charged with physically assaulting his ex-wife, prosecutors said. A court in Tbilisi charged Basilashvili with perpetrating “violence against a family member committed in the presence of a minor,” before releasing him on US$30,000 bail, prosecutor Natia Guruli said. He faces up to three years in prison if found guilty. Basilashvili’s ex-wife, Neka Dorokashvili, on Sunday told Mtavari TV that Basilashvili “physically assaulted” her on Friday in the presence of their five-year-old son. Basilashvili denied the charges, his lawyer Irma Chkadua said. The 28-year-old won his second ATP Tour title at the China