World No. 1 Rafael Nadal survived a scare and Roger Federer ended a run of recent losses to Tomas Berdych to lead the world’s top four players into the semi-finals of the Rogers Cup on Friday.
Defending champion Andy Murray and world No. 2 Novak Djokovic also posted quarter-final wins to complete the all-star quartet, but it was the possibility of a Nadal-Federer final that had tennis fans buzzing at the end of riveting day of action on the Canadian hard courts.
Playing in his first event since winning Wimbledon in June, Nadal has at times appeared to still be in holiday mode and the Spaniard was again slow out of the blocks against Philipp Kohlschreiber rallying for a nervy 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 victory.
PHOTO: AFP
While Nadal could not have expected such a punishing workout from the 37th-ranked German, who has just one win over a top 10 ranked opponent this season, Federer stepped onto center court knowing the giant challenge that awaited him and responded with an inspired 6-3, 5-7, 7-6 victory over Berdych.
upset win
The towering 1.96m Czech has had Federer’s measure this season beating the Swiss twice, including an upset win in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon.
PHOTO: AFP
“It’s sort of hard to put a rank on it, but it’s nice always winning matches 7-6 in the third,” Federer told reporters.
“Today, I just think I had a good start to the match, had chances in the second and then it was just kind of one of those matches I thought was going to slip away again like at the beginning of the season,” he said.
Berdych had looked poised to continue his winning sequence over Federer when he stormed to a 5-2 lead in the third, but a relentless Federer refused to fold, finally getting the break he needed with Berdych serving for the match at 5-3.
PHOTO: AFP
With a breathless center court crowd on its feet, there was more drama to come during a pulsating tiebreak that saw Federer jump ahead 4-0 then grimly hang to clinch the victory 7-5 when Berdych sent a return into the net.
Murray, who must at least reach today’s final to keep his No. 4 ranking, produced his best effort of the week, easing to a 6-2, 6-2 victory over David Nalbandian.
It was Murray’s first win over the 28-year-old Argentine, who had been on an 11-match unbeaten run since returning last month from a hamstring injury that sidelined him for two months.
“It was one of the best matches I’ve played this year,” said Murray, who reached this year’s Australian Open final and Wimbledon semi-finals, but had little success in between.
confidence
“It definitely gives me confidence for the rest of the tournament and the rest of the US stretch,” he said.
The Scot delivered an efficient display throughout the surprisingly one-sided contest, twice breaking the tenacious Nalbandian in the opening set before closing it out with an ace.
Murray broke again to open the second and never allowed the 2002 Wimbledon finalist a chance to get into the match, ending the rout in a compact 69 minutes with another booming ace.
“I was expecting it to be a very tough match and it wasn’t. When you’re out there, you’re not really thinking whether it’s comfortable or about how easy the scoreline is,” Murray said.
“But he [Nalbandian] has been, over the last few years, one of the best at coming back from tough situations,” the 23-year-old Scot said.
toll
Nalbandian, who was victorious at last week’s Legg Mason Tennis Classic in Washington, gave credit to Murray but admitted that playing 10 matches in 14 days had taken its toll.
“I feel a little tired for all the weeks, for last week and this one, and I didn’t get a rest,” he said. “But I’m pretty happy the way that I tried to play. In a few games I was close, but I made some easy mistakes.”
“I have to keep going, keep working, and I know I have a lot of tournaments from here until the end of the year. So I have to keep going in this way,” he said.
Djokovic, the Canadian champion in 2007, also had smooth passage into the last four defeating Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 6-2, 6-3.
Taiwan’s men’s table tennis team won bronze on Saturday at this year’s International Table Tennis Federation World Team Table Tennis Championships in London, matching the country’s best-ever finish at the regular tournament. Consisting of Lin Yun-ju, Taiwan’s top-ranked player at world No. 7, Feng Yi-hsin, Kuo Guan-hong, Hong Jing-kai and Hsu Hsien-chia, the team won bronze after losing 0-3 to Japan in the semifinals. In the opening match, 24-year-old Lin played the first game against world No. 3 Tomokazu Harimoto 11-5, but ultimately lost the next three closely contested games 9-11, 10-12 and 10-12. Feng then faced world No. 8 Sora Matsushima in
Lin Yun-ju on Thursday handed Taiwan two key victories as they advanced to the semi-finals of the ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals in London. The Taiwan men’s table tennis team beat Sweden 3-2 in five singles matches. The 24-year-old Lin, Taiwan’s top-ranked player at world No. 7 and nicknamed the “Silent Assassin,” opened the tie by defeating world No. 2 Truls Moregard 3-0 (11-8, 11-9, 13-11) before clinching the deciding fifth match with a 3-0 (11-8, 11-9, 11-5) win over Anton Kallberg to hand his team the overall victory. Kuo Guan-hong put Taiwan up 2-0 with a 3-2 (4-11, 11-8, 8-11,
Taiwanese fire dancer Yang Li-wei advanced to the final of Britain’s Got Talent this weekend after receiving a Golden Buzzer during her live semi-final performance. Yang, a member of Taiwan’s Coming True Fire Group, awed judges and audiences with a high-intensity fire performance featuring flaming umbrellas, fire swallowing and spinning metal structures balanced with her legs. Judge Simon Cowell praised Yang as a star, while guest judge KSI reacted with amazement before pressing the Golden Buzzer, sending her to the finals. The dance group wrote on social media that the Golden Buzzer was “the highest honor” on the talent show, adding: “Twenty-three years
As Super Rugby fast approaches its playoff season it finds itself racing toward a reckoning with many issues that threaten the southern hemisphere tournament. A group of stakeholders met in the New Zealand city of Christchurch late last month to address problems that are making the future of the 31-year-old competition increasingly tenuous. The discussion was made more urgent by the decision by the owners of Moana Pasifika to fold the Auckland-based club for financial reasons. That followed the closure of the Melbourne Rebels at the end of the 2024 season, likewise because of financial difficulties. Problems addressed included player retention as more