Premier League crisis club Portsmouth said on Thursday their players’ salaries for last month would not be paid until Tuesday.
The bottom-of-the-table side had hoped to make the outstanding payments on Thursday, but the money wasn’t able to be cleared until after the New Year.
“Portsmouth Football Club expect to pay their first team squad’s December salaries on Tuesday, January 5,” a club statement said. “The club has been speaking to the Professional Footballers’ Association and the players have been informed. The club has been assured of receipt of funds by Tuesday and the owner [Ali Al-Faraj] and board have been working hard on resolving the short-term delay.”
This is the third time this season Portsmouth have been unable to pay players’ wages on time after similar delays in September and November.
Pompey, beset by problems both on and off the field, began the new year four points adrift at the bottom of the table following Wednesday’s 4-1 home defeat by Arsenal at Fratton Park.
British tax authorities are threatening to take legal action against Portsmouth in respect to unpaid taxes of a reported £3.5 million (US$5.7 million), although Pompey officials have denied they have been served with a formal, winding-up order by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Meanwhile, former Portsmouth owner Sacha Gayadamak is owed at least £28 million by the club, Thursday’s Guardian newspaper said.
Current manager Avram Grant cannot, as yet, look forward to bolstering the squad during this month’s transfer window as Portsmouth remain subject to a Premier League transfer embargo over issues of unpaid transfer fees.
Portsmouth fans vented their frustration on Wednesday with chants during the Arsenal match of “Sack the board” and “Where’s all our money gone?”
Portsmouth have twice changed hands this season with Saudi Arabian businessman Faraj taking over from Sulaiman Al-Fahim, who was only in charge for a matter of weeks after protracted takeover talks with Gaydamak.
Club chief executive Peter Storrie — himself charged with tax evasion by HMRC over allegations he concealed a signing-on fee for Amdy Faye — used Wednesday’s program notes to try to reassure fans about Pompey’s future.
“Off the field, the financial issues of the club have been prominent in the media once again,” he said. “The majority of the reports are ill-informed, but such is the confidential nature of finance that we are not at liberty to put the record straight all of the time.”
Storrie added: “It has been a very difficult year, but one thing you must believe is that Ali Al-Faraj and his associates are doing their very best to refinance the club so we can once again operate the business as we all want to.
Also See: FA Cup out to prove worth again
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
The Rakuten Monkeys remained atop the CPBL table, despite a 5-7 loss to the Uni-President Lions in Taoyuan yesterday, while the CTBC Brothers fell to the Fubon Guardians at the Taichung Intercontinental Stadium. The visiting Guardians blasted three home runs in their 7-3 triumph, helping Dominican pitcher Henry Sosa pocket his second win of the season. Improving his record to 2-2, Sosa sailed through seven innings, allowing six hits while striking out five. He gave up one earned run in the opening frame, with two Brothers relievers mopping up the final two innings. Fubon’s marquee stars, designated hitter Hu Chin-lung and first baseman
When Chinese Super League club Tianjin Tianhai surprisingly thrashed Rafael Benitez’s Dalian Yifang 5-1 to stay in the league in November last year, disgruntled fans were quick to allege corruption — the legacy of a murky past that exploded into scandal 10 years ago. Benitez, who led Liverpool to the 2005 UEFA Champions League title, was perplexed by one of the heaviest defeats of his coaching career, saying: “This is a game that I don’t quite understand.” Despite fan complaints to the Chinese Football Association (CFA), no case was brought and there is no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the haste with which some
Georgian tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili, ranked 27th in the world, was on Sunday charged with physically assaulting his ex-wife, prosecutors said. A court in Tbilisi charged Basilashvili with perpetrating “violence against a family member committed in the presence of a minor,” before releasing him on US$30,000 bail, prosecutor Natia Guruli said. He faces up to three years in prison if found guilty. Basilashvili’s ex-wife, Neka Dorokashvili, on Sunday told Mtavari TV that Basilashvili “physically assaulted” her on Friday in the presence of their five-year-old son. Basilashvili denied the charges, his lawyer Irma Chkadua said. The 28-year-old won his second ATP Tour title at the China