Businessman Jonathan Marland announced on Sunday he will stand against Giles Clarke for the post of England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman as the fallout from the Kevin Pietersen saga took another twist.
Clarke, who became the head of English cricket’s governing body in September 2007, is keen to serve a second two-year term in office when his current spell expires on March 31.
But Marland, 52, a member of the British House of Lords, who was also the treasurer of Britain’s main opposition Conservative party from 2003 to 2007, has thrown his hat into the ring.
The existing unhappiness in some quarters with the way the ECB was being run under Clarke’s leadership intensified following the sacking this month of England coach Peter Moores after a clash with Pietersen which cost the star batsman his job as England captain.
There were many who felt such a falling out, which came in the run-up to the team’s departure for their tour of the West Indies and in an Ashes year, was entirely predictable given the personalities of the two men involved.
That in turn led to a feeling, expressed by England great Geoff Boycott, that, if both Moores and Pietersen were to lose their prize positions, someone in the hierarchy who helped make the decision that brought them together as coach and captain should have gone too.
Prior to that embarrassment, concerns had already been expressed about Clarke’s enthusiasm for negotiations with billionaire Allen Stanford, which led to England’s ill-fated participation in last year’s winner-takes-all Stanford Twenty20 tournament in Antigua.
“I believe it is vital for English cricket in its current situation to have a contest for the chairmanship of the ECB,” Marland said.
“There are deep schisms within the game which need to be healed, and I believe I can be a unifying candidate,” he said.
“The image of our game has been very badly damaged during Giles Clarke’s time at the helm and the Stanford and Moores/Pietersen affairs of recent months have highlighted both errors of judgement and management failures,” Marland said.
Once nominations for the post have been accepted, the ECB has 48 hours to call an election, which must take place within two weeks.
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
PANDEMIC HYGIENE: Players had their temperatures checked, carried their own equipment and towels, and tapped rackets to congratulate the match winners Alison Riske and Danielle Collins of the US and Australia’s Ajla Tomljanovic were among the winners on Friday, the opening day of a women’s tennis mini-tournament in Florida that offered professional players an opportunity to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic. The WTA women’s tennis tour canceled four more events this week and is not to resume until at least July 20. However, four women ranked in the top 60 in the world turned out for the UTR Pro Match Series event in Palm Beach, which followed a similar event for men two weeks ago. World No. 51 Collins toppled 28th-ranked compatriot Amanda Anisimova