Argentina gatecrashed France's World Cup party on Friday when they kicked off the six-week marathon with a stunning 17-12 upset over the hosts in front of 80,000 people in the Stade de France.
The result delivered a major dent to France's hopes of qualifying for the quarter-finals from a Pool D which also includes Six Nations Triple Crown winners Ireland.
It was also a blow for the country's sporting prestige which was so badly bruised by the loss of the 2012 Olympics to London.
"We are overcome with happiness, but we shouldn't get above ourselves because it is only the first match," Argentina coach Marcelo Loffreda said.
The Pumas scored all of their points in the first half with Ignacio Corleto scoring a breakaway try and Felipe Contepomi, playing alongside brother Manuel, kicking the other points.
David Skrela kicked France's meagre four-penalty response.
"When you begin a World Cup, and it is imperative to win the match and you lose, you can say only one thing that the sky has fallen in on your head," France coach Bernard Laporte said.
The defeat was a shattering let down for France which has invested millions in the tournament and has seen the 10 venues in the country bedecked in the French tricolor and submerged in World Cup hype.
Even the Eiffel Tower has been drafted in on the act with a giant, illuminated rugby ball draped beneath the famous structure.
Before Argentina's heroics, the Stade de France enjoyed a colorful opening ceremony.
There was a parade of the 20 greatest all-time players, like Jonah Lomu and French legend Jean Pierre Rives, while the festivities featured 200 dancers and music under the guidance of leading choreographer Olivier Massart.
In the center of Paris, meanwhile, 4,000 people gathered to watch the ceremony as well as the match on a giant screen erected outside the Hotel de Ville.
International Rugby Board chairman Syd Millar welcomed the fans and teams.
"The International Rugby Board welcomes you all to this marvellous festival of world rugby," he said.
"Each rugby World Cup has been better than the last, and this will prove no exception. Rugby is rightly proud of its ability to retain high standards of sportsmanship, ethical behavior and fair play," he said.
Taiwan’s Lin Chun-yi yesterday bowed out at the Malaysia Masters, defeated in the semi-finals a day after an epic quarter-final against the highest-ranked player left in the men’s singles draw. Lin lost to Weng Hongyang of China 21-13, 21-19 after a draining match against Japan’s Kodai Naraoka a day earlier in which the second game had 59 points. The 23-year-old left-hander had won his only previous BWF match against his Chinese opponent. However, Weng booked a place in today’s final after easing past the Taiwanese battler. He faces India’s H.S. Prannoy, who advanced when Indonesia’s Christian Adinata retired while trailing 19-17 in the
Kosovo Olympic authorities have asked the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to open disciplinary proceedings against Novak Djokovic, accusing the Serb of stirring up political tension by saying “Kosovo is the heart of Serbia” at the French Open. Djokovic wrote the message on a camera lens following his first-round win on Monday, the same day that 30 NATO peacekeeping troops were hurt in clashes with Serb protesters in the Kosovo town of Zvecan where Djokovic’s father grew up. “Kosovo is our cradle, our stronghold, center of the most important things for our country,” 36-year-old told Serbian media. Serbian authorities said 52 protesters were wounded
Unable to sleep the night before her first-round match at the French Open against second seed Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus, Marta Kostyuk of Ukraine checked her phone at 5am on Sunday and saw disturbing news back home in Kyiv. At least one person was killed when the capital of Kostyuk’s nation was subjected to the largest drone attack by Russia since the start of the war, launched with an invasion assisted by Belarus in February last year. “It’s something I cannot describe, probably. I try to put my emotions aside any time I go out on court. I think I’m better than
China has long been the sleeping giant of men’s tennis, but on Monday the giant stirred as Shanghai trailblazer Zhang Zhizhen advanced to the second round of Roland Garros. One of three Chinese men in the draw, Zhang became the first from the nation to win a main draw match at Roland Garros in 86 years after Serbian opponent Dusan Lajovic retired due to illness when trailing 6-1, 4-1. Compatriots Shang Juncheng and Wu Yibing bowed out in defeat, but 26-year-old Zhang has a big chance to go further when he takes on Argentine qualifier Thiago Agustin Tirante for a place in