The mob of international media crowding the McLaren-Mercedes paddock on Thursday left no doubt that Lewis Hamilton is Formula One's new star.
With Canada's Jacque Villeneuve squeezed out of his ride at Sauber last summer and seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher retired, the 22-year-old Englishman has stunned the motor sports world with the hottest start in F1 history.
He finished third in his first race at Melbourne in March, then reeled off four straight second-place finishes to become the first driver to reach the podium in his first five races.
PHOTO: AP
He goes into the Canadian Grand Prix at Gilles Villeneuve Circuit this weekend tied with teammate and defending champion Fernando Alonso of Spain with 38 points in the drivers' standings -- five more than Ferrari driver Felipe Massa.
The teams had two practice sessions yesterday.
Qualifying is today and the 71-lap race is tomorrow.
"I'm overwhelmed with my performance and the team's performance so far," said Hamilton. "I definitely didn't expect this.
"I'm only 22. I have a long, long way to go. Michael [Schumacher] retired at 37, so I've got at least 10 years to race."
He may also have set a record for quickest driver to be entangled in controversy.
Villeneuve slammed Hamilton's aggressive starts in Britain's Autosport magazine this week.
"When will these chopping moves [cutting to the sides] stop?" Villeneuve told the magazine. "Lewis is not getting penalized for these things and his behavior off the start line has started to look like Michael used to."
Films of the starts haven't shown any dangerous moves by the rookie, other than two weeks ago in Monaco, where everyone jostles for position because overtaking on the track is next to impossible.
Hamilton was surprised at the criticism.
He said Villeneuve was one of the first F1 drivers he ever met and that he holds the 1997 world champion in high regard.
"He has a right to his opinions," Hamilton said. "I respect that.
"But this is racing. If I was cutting across so there was a chance of taking them out, I would totally agree, but that's not been the case in any of the races."
Marta Kostyuk’s maiden WTA 1000 title in Madrid came on Saturday thanks to her power, poise and a pair of unexpected lucky shorts. The world No. 23 beat eighth-ranked Mirra Andreeva 6-3, 7-5 in under 90 minutes to secure the most prestigious trophy of her career, her third professional singles title and second in less than a month after Rouen. Yet as the 23-year-old Ukrainian posed for photographs at the Caja Magica, it was not just the silverware that caught the eye. Held alongside her team and her two dogs, Kostyuk showed off a piece of black men’s underwear, prompting
Lin Yun-ju on Thursday handed Taiwan two key victories as they advanced to the semi-finals of the ITTF World Team Table Tennis Championships Finals in London. The Taiwan men’s table tennis team beat Sweden 3-2 in five singles matches. The 24-year-old Lin, Taiwan’s top-ranked player at world No. 7 and nicknamed the “Silent Assassin,” opened the tie by defeating world No. 2 Truls Moregard 3-0 (11-8, 11-9, 13-11) before clinching the deciding fifth match with a 3-0 (11-8, 11-9, 11-5) win over Anton Kallberg to hand his team the overall victory. Kuo Guan-hong put Taiwan up 2-0 with a 3-2 (4-11, 11-8, 8-11,
Throwing more than US$5 billion at a divisive new tour and walking away after five seasons does not look like good business, but LIV Golf was not all bad news for Saudi Arabia. Oil-funded LIV, which poached top stars and sent golf’s establishment into a tailspin, helped push the conservative kingdom into global view — one of its key aims, experts said. The exit, confirmed on Thursday after weeks of speculation, does not signal a flight of Saudi money from sport, even after the Middle East war that sparked Iranian attacks around the Gulf, they said. “Saudi Arabia is not
Arsenal stormed six points clear at the top of the English Premier League as Bukayo Saka and Viktor Gyokeres put Fulham to the sword in a 3-0 win, while West Ham United’s defeat at Brentford offered Tottenham Hotspur a lifeline in the battle for survival. The Gunners have stumbled toward the finish line in their quest for a first league title in 22 years, blowing a sizeable lead over Manchester City in a series of nervous displays. However, the return of Saka, making his first start in six weeks, freed up Mikel Arteta’s men in a dominant performance that shrugged