All Italian soccer matches were suspended on Friday after a 38-year-old policeman was killed when violence flared during and after the Serie A match between bitter Sicilian rivals Catania and Palermo.
The policeman was named as Filippo Raciti, and another officer was believed to be seriously injured.
Hundreds of people were hurt as fighting continued after the game.
As a result of the tragedy, the Italian soccer federation announced that all matches, professional and amateur, scheduled for this weekend would be canceled and that the suspension was likely to be indefinite.
Next week's friendly international between Italy, the World Cup winners, and Romania in Siena was also called off.
The federation's chief Luca Pancalli said that the suspension of the matches could last longer and the matter will be discussed next week.
"One day is not sufficient," said Pancalli. "Without drastic measures, we can't play again."
"We will immediately set up a commission to discuss the situation between sport and politics. It's not possible to carry on like this. If this is football, then I'm stopping everything," he said.
He said that he would meet with Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi tomorrow.
"Football in Italy must stop and take stock. Enough is enough," said Pancalli.
"I cannot find the words to describe a 38-year-old man who lost his life in such a way. All the football authorities I spoke to agreed that we had to stop everything. This is completely unacceptable," he said.
Sergio Campana, the head of the players association in Italy, demanded a longer suspension.
"I think that faced with these events, football should stop for a year and see if we can change our whole approach to sport," he said.
Raciti was hit in the face by a homemade bomb thrown from the crowd.
He died at the Garibaldi Hospital in Catania.
Palermo won the game 2-1 but the highly-charged Sicilian derby was overshadowed by the violence.
Later Friday, nine Catania fans including four minors, were arrested, reported the ANSA news agency.
However, none were believed to be in connection with the death of Raciti.
Friday's game had already been brought forward because of fears over public safety. But even an early kick-off did nothing to quell the unrest.
The game was suspended after an hour when tear gas, used by police to halt the trouble, drifted onto the field.
Adding to the problems was the fact that Palermo supporters were unable to get into the Stadio Massimino until the second half.
Palermo took the lead after 55 minutes when Andrea Caracciolo scored from a pass from Mark Bresciano.
The goal coincided with the arrival of the Palermo fans. It was also the cue for the trouble to start.
Reports claimed that fireworks were lobbed into the area where the Palermo supporters were sitting. They fought back and tear gas made it impossible for play to continue.
The two teams fled the pitch for the dressing room with the game suspended for 30 minutes.
Within 60 seconds of the restart, Catania equalized through Fabio Caserta.
Palermo's winning goal in the 83rd minute was controversial with David di Michele finding the back of the net although Catania claimed the ball came off the striker's arm.
Catania president Antonio Pulvirenti blamed Palermo fans for the violence.
"Clearly the incidents were provoked by the Palermo fans when they entered the stadium," he said.
"Before then, nothing had happened, but they started causing trouble and, as the images show, threw tear gas on to the pitch," he added.
Ironically, Friday's match was preceded by a minute's silence in memory of the director of an amateur team who died the previous Saturday following crowd trouble at the end of a match against their local rivals.
Prodi warned that football in the country needed radical surgery if it was to stop the violence.
"My first thoughts are for the people affected by the violence and their families," said Prodi, who backed the decision by the Italian football authorities to call off matches.
"It is the right signal and is necessary to avoid the degeneration of the sport," he said.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but