Fast bowler Michael Kasprowicz took seven second-innings wickets yesterday as Australia beat Sri Lanka by 149 runs inside three days of the first cricket test.
Sri Lanka, set a target of 312 for victory at Marrara Oval, could only manage 162 second-innings runs before being bowled out shortly after tea Saturday. Australia had scored 207 and 201 runs in its innings while Sri Lanka opened with just 97, one of the lowest test scores in its history.
Kasprowicz took 7-39 -- his best figures in Australia and the second-best total of his limited test career. Australia has now recorded four straight wins over Sri Lanka after sweeping the March series 3-0 in Sri Lanka.
"Kasprowicz was great today," said acting captain Adam Gilchrist, subbing for Ricky Ponting, who did not play due to a death in his family.
"It just shows you what a great group of fast bowlers we've got to choose from," Gilchrist said.
The only resistance from Sri Lanka came in the form of a 79-run partnership for the fourth wicket between Mahela Jayawardene (44) and Thilan Samaraweera (32). The pair carried the score from 30 to 109.
But Kasprowicz wiped out any chance of a Sri Lankan comeback when he broke the stand by claiming the wicket of Samaraweera in the first over of his second spell.
He then worked his way through Sri Lanka's middle and lower order.
The match marked Glenn McGrath's return to the Australian lineup for the first time in nearly a year following ankle surgery. He took seven wickets in two innings and was named man of the match.
Gilchrist, who top-scored for the match with 80 in Australia's second innings, registered his second victory as Australian captain. Ponting will be back for the second and final test in Cairns starting July 9.
The match aggregate of 667 runs made it one of the lowest-scoring tests in Australia.
Gilchrist said that with 40 wickets falling in 2 1-2 days, Cricket Australia must do something about the state of the Marrara Oval pitch if it wants test cricket to thrive in northern Australia.
"I don't think the wicket was quite up to test standard," Gilchrist said.
"It's pretty obvious when a test finishes like that with the quality of batsmen around in both teams it's not quite up to standard."
Marrara Oval has now hosted two tests which both rank among the 25 lowest-scoring tests in Australia. A total of 682 runs were scored in the inaugural test in Darwin between Australia and Bangladesh last year.
Sri Lanka coach John Dyson also criticized the pitch.
"Australia don't get bowled out for 200 twice very often at all," Dyson said.
``When that happens it should tell you something about the wicket,'' he added. "When the test match finishes in three days that should also tell you something about the wicket. A good game of test cricket you would expect to go into the fifth day."
Sri Lanka was playing without Muttiah Muralitharan, the world record holder for test wickets, who decided not to come to Australia for personal reasons.
Captain Marvan Atapattu said veteran bowler Chaminda Vaas and Lasith Malinga, making his test debut, were the stars for Sri Lanka, taking seven and six wickets respectively for the match.
"He has much to carry without Murali, but he came up to our expectations," Atapattu said of Vaas.
Malinga's total included four second-inning Australian wickets.
"With his slinging action, he is that much harder to pick," Atapattu said of Malinga. "He will be good in the coming years for Sri Lanka."
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last