The third Sunday action in Wimbledon history saw the two top men's seeds, Roger Federer and Andy Roddick, stay firmly on course for what would be a titanic final in one week's time.
Federer was imperious in dismissing Sweden's Thomas Johansson in straight sets on the Centre Court while Roddick outgunned Taylor Dent on No.1 Court in a battle of the American heavyweights.
Main threats to the big two, Tim Henman and Mark Philippoussis, also made it into the last 16, and they will go up against each other on Monday.
In the women's tournament, top seed and title-holder Serena Williams coasted past Spain's Magui Serna and there were comfortable wins also for her main challenger Amelie Mauresmo of France and for American Jennifer Capriati.
Top seed and defending champion Federer set up a last 16 meeting with Croatian giant Ivo Karlovic when he outclassed Johansson in a third round tie.
Karlovic, who ousted defending champion Lleyton Hewitt of Australia in the first round last year, defeated Spain's Feliciano Lopez in four service-dominated sets.
A single break in each of the first two sets and two in the third were enough for Federer to win his 20th consecutive match on grass.
Opening activities on what was only the third time in Wimbledon history that the middle Sunday had been used for play, Federer never looked in any danger and in three rounds he has lost just 19 games and has yet to be broken on serve.
"I thought today was a tough match and a test. The other two games were too easy with washouts in the third sets, but this was really tough and I had to focus hard and not be broken," Federer said.
"I am feeling very good, better than last year because I know now I can win this tournament."
Roddick, losing semifinalist here last year to Federer and the No. 2 seed this time, maintained his supremacy over US contemporary Dent with a straight sets 6-3, 7-6 (8/6), 7-6 (7/1) win in a tie dominated by big serves.
The American let a match point slip away at 6-5 up in the fourth, but he dominated the decisive tie-break 7-1 ending it with another big serve.
Henman blew hot and cold against old rival Hicham Arazi of Morocco, going a break down in all four sets before winning 7-6 (8/6), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.
It was a performance that had a youthful and noisy Sunday afternoon crowd at times despairing and at times jubilant.
And it will have to be a much more consistent Henman who shows up on Monday if he is to stun "The Scud."
"It was difficult out there. It was very swirly and the quality of the tennis was not always great, but you just have to find a way through it," he said.
"I need to play a bit better [against Philippoussis] but I still fancy my chances."
A reborn Philippoussis came through against Chile's Fernando Gonzalez winning 6-4, 6-1, 6-7 (4/7), 6-4.
There were third round wins also for German youngster Florian Mayer against South African veteran Wayne Ferriera and for 2002 semifinalist Xavier Malisse of Belgium in straight sets over Karol Beck of Slovakia.
Vincent Spadea ousted Rainer Schuettler of Germany 6-4, 6-2, 6-3 whilst rising Croatian Mario Ancic defeated 25th seed Dominik Hrbaty of Slovakia 7-5, 6-3, 7-5.
Serena Williams remained on course to become the first women to win three titles in a row since Steffi Graf (1991 to 1993) with a lop-sided 6-4, 6-0 win over the diminutive Serna.
Seventh seeded Capriati defeated Nathalie Dechy 7-5, 6-1 and she goes on to play Russian 10th seed Nadia Petrova who defeated in straight sets Tatiana Perebiynis of the Ukraine.
"It was a good win," she said. "The first set was a little bit tough but I stuck in there. it was a little bit of a test. Then I just really played well in the second set when I got going."
The conquerer of Venus Williams, 19-year-old Karolina Sprem of Croatia, kept a cool head on her to win two tie-breaks against veteran American Meghann Shaughnessy and she next plays Bulgarian veteran Magdalena Maleeva for a place in the quarterfinals.
The NBA said was re-evaluating its training program in China following allegations of abuse of young players by local staff and harassment of foreign staffers at a facility in Xinjiang. The comments come after a report by ESPN that quoted unnamed American coaches as saying that Chinese coaches hit young players. One American coach who worked at a camp in Xinjiang complained of harassment by local police, the sports network said. “The allegations in the ESPN article are disturbing,” NBA deputy commissioner Mark Tatum said in an e-mail statement on Thursday. “We ended our involvement with the basketball academy in Xinjiang in June
Coming from the business world, New York Liberty owner Joe Tsai (蔡崇信) did not understand why his WNBA franchise did not have a chief executive officer similar to the team’s NBA counterpart the Brooklyn Nets, which Tsai also owns. For Tsai, it was about equality, so he did something about it. The 56-year-old Taipei-born billionaire businessman and philanthropist promoted Keia Clarke to the position last week — making her the first chief executive officer in the team’s history. The WNBA veteran became the third black woman to currently be in charge of a franchise in the league, joining Los Angeles Sparks president
LEAVING IT LATE: Rakuten added late runs last night to add to wins on Wednesday against the Brothers and the Lions on Friday that went down to the last batter The Rakuten Monkeys rallied to post three late runs for another close win, prevailing 5-3 over the Uni-President Lions yesterday as Taiwan’s second-half CPBL season got started with lower scoring output, but exciting finishes. It was Rakuten’s third win in a row. In two games this week, they seized victory in dramatic fashion with their last at-bat and have drawn level with the CTBC Brothers on top of the table after yesterday’s results, 0.5 games in front of the Fubon Guardians and 1.5 games ahead of the Lions. It was tied at 1-1 early, with Rakuten hosting the Lions at the Taoyuan Intenational
MONEY MATTERS: While COVID-19 played a major role in the decision, the CTBA also found it hard to secure sponsorship, and ticket sales would have been affected The Yonex Taipei Open badminton tournament has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a funding shortfall, the CTBA said yesterday. This was the first time that the tournament, a Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour Super 300-level competition, has been canceled since it began in 1980. The Taipei Open has been held annually since 1980. The tournament was to be played at the Taipei Arena from Sept. 1 to Sept. 6, with total prize money of US$500,000. The CTBA said that it was deeply concerned about whether the Taipei Open would proceed as scheduled after the BWF announced changes