England was 225 for five and trailing New Zealand by 159 runs on the first innings after day two of the third cricket test at Trent Bridge on Friday. \nScott Styris scored 108 for his fourth test century to help the Kiwis reach 384 all out after lunch from resuming the day at 295-4. \nChris Cairns then took three for 61 and James Franklin claimed 2-64 to restrict England, which overcame a poor start at 18-2 with half-centuries by opener Marcus Trescothick (63), captain Michael Vaughan (61) and Andrew Flintoff (54). \nGraham Thorpe was unbeaten on 30, and Matthew Hoggard yet to score, though he survived an lbw appeal from Franklin in the last over. \n"Three guys have got 50s, but the thing is we have not gone on from there," Trescothick said. "But we are still in a position to give ourselves a good chance. \n"[Saturday] morning will be a big moment in the game," he added. "If we bat well, we can put ourselves in a good position, but if we find ourselves rolled over pretty quickly it could be a tough game for us.'' \nBut worrying for the injury-plagued New Zealanders were more breakdowns; paceman Chris Martin bowled just 1.5 overs and left with a hamstring injury. Then Kyle Mills, making his test debut, suffered a side injury after hurling six overs without reward and didn't return. \nThe Kiwis have already lost the series after heavy defeats at Lord's and Headingley, and are trying to avoid conceding to England its first sweep of a three-match series since 1978 -- against New Zealand. \n"We are definitely ahead," Styris said. "We were excited to get among them early, because we believe they have a bit of a tail which we haven't been able to exploit so far." \nNew Zealand managed to exploit chinks in the top order when Andrew Strauss was out for a duck, lofting a Cairns delivery to Brendon McCullum. Strauss, who dropped a ball in the field on Thursday, has struggled since hitting a debut century at Lord's. \nThe second wicket fell at 18, when Mark Butcher (5) clipped Franklin to Styris. Butcher left play earlier when he hurt his left hand stopping a Styris drive in the gully, and only returned following precautionary X-rays. \nTrescothick and Vaughan lifted England to 99-2 at tea. Cairns made the breakthrough at 128-3, trapping Vaughan leg before after he'd conceded three fours in the over. \nVaughan's 61 in 65 balls included 10 boundaries and a six in his ninth test 50. \nThree overs later, Trescothick hurt his series average of nearly 80 when he smacked left-hander Franklin's delivery straight to Styris at gully at 140-4. Trescothick's 24th test half-century included 11 fours in 99 balls. \nAndrew Flintoff and Thorpe combined for 81 for the fifth wicket, Flintoff scoring 54 in 79 balls before he became Cairns' third wicket at 221-5. \nEarlier, Styris resumed on 68 and brought up his 100 with a four off Flintoff. Styris took 161 balls, and eight runs later he was caught in the covers from Ashley Giles' spin at 366-7. \n"It is disappointing that the 100 has had to come in a dead rubber and we were already 2-0 down before I got runs," Styris said. "On the other hand, the England bowling attack has been very good, so to get 100 against them is very pleasing." \nJacob Oram was the first wicket to fall in the morning when he clipped seamer Martin Saggers' ball to Strauss for 14 at 308-5. \nSaggers then induced Cairns to balloon a ball to Thorpe on 12 at 331-6. Saggers took 2-80 in 22 overs. Cairns, who played at Trent Bridge for seven seasons with Nottinghamshire, got a standing ovation when he was introduced in his 62nd and final test. \nOnce Styris was out, the last three wickets went in seven overs. Steve Harmison forced McCullum to direct a ball to Hoggard at third man just after lunch and finished with 3-80 off 32 overs.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer is buying the Forum for US$400 million, ending the billionaire’s legal fight with Madison Square Garden Co (MSG) and clearing the way to build a new arena for his NBA team down the street in Inglewood, California. Ballmer on Tuesday announced his cash purchase of the venerated arena. Ballmer, a former Microsoft executive, and Clippers vice chairman Dennis Wong are making the transaction through CAPSS LLC, a newly formed entity that would continue to operate the Forum as a live music venue. “This is an unprecedented time, but we believe in our collective future,” Ballmer said.
DISSENT: The US track and field body joined sports officials in Norway and Brazil, as well as Indian athletes, in calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 organizers have started drafting possible alternatives to holding the Olympics this summer, two sources familiar with the talks said, in contrast to the Japanese government’s stance that postponement is not an option. While the COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted sports events around the world, Japan has been steadfast in saying that the Games would go on. A Japanese government spokesman on Wednesday said that Tokyo was not preparing for postponement. “Finally, we have been asked to make a simulation in case of a postponement,” said one of the sources, an official close to the organizing committee who is involved in drafting the
EXPENDITURE: Tokyo Games organizing committee CEO Toshiro Muto said that ‘additional expenses are going to be quite massive’ to reschedule the Olympics The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is working with sports bodies to arrange a July-to-August window next year for the postponed Tokyo Olympics and hopes to confirm the schedule within a month, Japan’s Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. John Coates, head of the IOC’s coordination commission for the Tokyo Olympics, told the newspaper that the Games would have to be held between the tennis Grand Slams of Wimbledon, scheduled to end in mid-July, and the US Open, which starts in late August. “We want to more or less finalize the dates in four weeks’ time,” the newspaper quoted Coates as saying. Coates, who is also
PROUD, BUT BOWING OUT: The Dallas center missed all of 2018 due to Guillain-Barre syndrome, but Travis Frederick returned to be a standout again last season Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick on Monday stunningly announced his retirement. Frederick, who turned 29 on Wednesday last week, was a Pro Bowl selection in five of his six NFL seasons. Frederick revealed his retirement in a lengthy letter, beginning it by writing: “After much consideration, discussion, and reflection, I have decided to retire from football. This was not an easy decision.” Frederick cited his bout with autoimmune disease Guillain-Barre syndrome as a factor. He missed the 2018 season due to the illness in which the body’s immune system attacks the nervous system, but he returned to be a standout again last