Taipei City Deputy Mayor Ou Chin-der (歐晉德) apologized yesterday for the city's performance during recent flooding and called on city residents to prepare for Tropical Storm Bebinca, which is forecast to bring heavy rains today.
"As the chief commander of the rescue team, I apologize to the public for any negligence when Typhoon Xangsane struck," Ou said after a closed-door meeting to review the city's typhoon relief efforts.
Typhoon Xangsane, which battered the island last Wednesday and Thursday and claimed 62 lives, caused the worst flooding the city has seen in many years.
Although classes resumed yesterday and rescue work concluded late Sunday night, Ou said, there is still much room for improvement.
"We'd like to see district administrators, borough wardens and neighborhood chiefs get more involved in the emergency relief efforts in the future, and we will provide training courses to strengthen their response and relief abilities," he said.
In preparation for Tropical Storm Bebinca, Ou said, the city has been closely monitoring the water level of the Keelung River and Chingmei and Hsintien Creeks, which were the sources of major flooding in low-lying areas of the city's flood-prone districts of Wenshan, Neihu and Nankang when Typhoon Xangsane struck.
"Gutter cleaning squads have been working around the clock to dredge the gutters and sewers in the Wenshan, Neihu and Nankang districts. Squad members have so far removed a total of 1,745 tonnes of silt and plan to finish the job by tomorrow afternoon," he said.
In addition, many new methods will be applied in an attempt to better cope with the torrential rain expected today, Ou said.
"This time we plan to observe the water level in mountainous areas instead of in the city," he said.
Ou added that the city also plans to include Keelung City, Ilan County and Taoyuan County in the flood watch system this time.
"We hope the joint forecast contract which we signed with the Cabinet's National Science Council (
SECRET OUT: Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung yesterday accidentally revealed that the infections occurred at the ministry’s Taoyuan General Hospital The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported the fifth COVID-19 case in a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital, where four other medical workers were confirmed to have been infected over the past week. The latest case is a nurse who had tested negative on Tuesday last week, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC, told a news conference. However, on Thursday, she developed symptoms, such as nasal congestion and a cough, and a second test yesterday found that she was infected, Chen said. She is the head nurse of a ward where two
VIGILANCE: While two of the cases are family members of a nurse, there is no sign of community spread and the source of infection is identifiable, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported four new domestic COVID-19 cases associated with a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital. Since the first case was identified on Tuesday last week, five healthcare workers — two doctors and three nurses — at the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Taoyuan General Hospital have tested positive for the virus. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that two of the four new cases are the husband and daughter of a nurse (case No. 863) who had earlier been confirmed to have COVID-19. The husband (case No. 864)
Don Quijote, the biggest discount store in Japan, is opening its first store in Taiwan today. The three-story Don Don Donki store in Taipei’s Ximending (西門町) area, which operates 24 hours a day, has already created 400 jobs, the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) said in a press release. Many Taiwanese, including Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊), consider a trip to Don Quijote an essential stop in Japan. “I have been to Don Quijote at least 10 times myself,” Huang said yesterday at a news conference announcing the store’s opening. “They are rendering an important service, because we cannot travel
‘CONTAINED’: The CECC is not considering locking down the hospital where the infections were detected, as their source has been found, Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported one new domestic COVID-19 case, a doctor at a hospital in northern Taiwan where three other medical workers were confirmed to have the disease over the past week. The new case — No. 856 — is a doctor who had treated a COVID-19 patient together with case No. 838, said Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center. Case No. 838, confirmed as a locally infected COVID-19 case on Tuesday, was the first case in the hospital cluster, and later infected his partner, who is a nurse at the same