Bring yourself good luck during the New Year! Want to get a good start to 2006 and make it a year of prosperity? Let us show you some easy ways to turn yourself into a master of good luck.
1. If the energy at your house is weak, you can put some fresh flowers on both sides of your front door to help strengthen its vitality.
PHOTOS: LIN WEI-YAN, TAIPEI TIMES
2. Hanging a gourd on the wall next to your front door is thought to bring wealth and fortune.
3. Place some fresh flowers right inside the entrance to your house. For example, purple orchids symbolize riches, so displaying lots of them will improve your prestige.
4. Put five small teapots on a shelf in the living room facing the door. Arrange the teapots so that the spouts are all facing the door to bring the traditional "5 kinds of good fortunes to your door."
5. If you put the teapots on a red mat and put a dragon coin in front of each one, you will find wealth wherever you turn. You can also use a NT$50 coin instead of the dragon coin.
6. Put a big, white pomelo on a mat in your living room. Write the word "you" (to have) on the bottom part of the fruit, and put it in the east to bring prosperity. If there are children in your house preparing for exams, you can put the pomelo in the south -- the direction of "Wenchang," the god of literature and scholars -- to bring them success.
7. If you want to get everything you desire during the new year, put two fresh persimmons beside a "ruyi," a kind of Chinese symbolic device. You can also display four small glass pigs to symbolize prosperity.
Translated by marc langer
As Iran prepares to play diplomatic arch-rivals the US in the World Cup today, AFP looks at how geopolitics have spilled onto the pitch in previous World Cups: Mussolini’s ‘Blackshirts’: France v Italy, 1938 Just a year before World War II broke out, defending champions Italy arrived in France with politics taking center stage in their clash with the hosts. Championed by Italy’s then-leader, fascist dictator Benito Mussolini, the team were booed when they came onto the pitch at the stadium near Paris. Undeterred, the Italians gave the fascist salute to the crowd and played in black shirts,
California is set to build world’s largest wildlife crossing 不用再跟車子搶道！全球最大動物通道在加州 Ahighway project designed to benefit wild animals has begun construction in California. The overpass, which had its groundbreaking ceremony in April, stretches over a section of the 10-lane US 101 highway to the northwest of downtown Los Angeles. The introduction of a wildlife bridge is intended to save the lives of animals in the area, in particular the endangered mountain lion species. This part of Southern California is riddled with freeways, and over 25 mountain lions have been hit and killed here since 2002. There are now fewer than 13 mountain lions left in the area. With such a small population,
Ms Kung put up a notice on the bulletin board of Classroom 901 龔老師在901教室的佈告欄上貼了一則告示。 You’re invited to the Christmas Party Date: Friday, Dec. 23 Place: Classroom 901 Notice: I will write each of your names on a piece of paper and put them in a box. Two weeks before the party, you will pick a name out of the box. Don’t tell anyone the name you drew. What you have to do is observe secretly what he/she likes. In other words, you will be his/her “Secret Santa,” and prepare a gift for him/her. At the party, you will …… 1. Put what you prepared on the big
Archaeology under the sea 水下考古：「潛」進歷史 Archaeologists tend to be stereotyped as people who work on land, digging up ancient ruins that lie below the surface of the earth. However, in recent decades, an exciting new form of archaeology has taken shape. This new practice is called underwater archaeology. Put simply, instead of looking under the ground for ancient artifacts, archaeologists dive deep into the ocean to conduct their searches. Underwater archaeology, although not without logistical difficulties, has been responsible for a number of high-profile findings in recent years. The development of underwater archaeology owes much to concurrent technological progress. First and foremost, it was the invention