Bring yourself good luck during the New Year! Want to get a good start to 2006 and make it a year of prosperity? Let us show you some easy ways to turn yourself into a master of good luck.
1. If the energy at your house is weak, you can put some fresh flowers on both sides of your front door to help strengthen its vitality.
PHOTOS: LIN WEI-YAN, TAIPEI TIMES
2. Hanging a gourd on the wall next to your front door is thought to bring wealth and fortune.
3. Place some fresh flowers right inside the entrance to your house. For example, purple orchids symbolize riches, so displaying lots of them will improve your prestige.
4. Put five small teapots on a shelf in the living room facing the door. Arrange the teapots so that the spouts are all facing the door to bring the traditional "5 kinds of good fortunes to your door."
5. If you put the teapots on a red mat and put a dragon coin in front of each one, you will find wealth wherever you turn. You can also use a NT$50 coin instead of the dragon coin.
6. Put a big, white pomelo on a mat in your living room. Write the word "you" (to have) on the bottom part of the fruit, and put it in the east to bring prosperity. If there are children in your house preparing for exams, you can put the pomelo in the south -- the direction of "Wenchang," the god of literature and scholars -- to bring them success.
7. If you want to get everything you desire during the new year, put two fresh persimmons beside a "ruyi," a kind of Chinese symbolic device. You can also display four small glass pigs to symbolize prosperity.
Translated by marc langer
網球天王費德勒（Roger Federer）於上週四（15日）宣布引退，為長達二十四年的職業生涯畫下了句點。回顧過去，他曾經贏得二十個大滿貫冠軍，與對手喬克維奇、納達爾合稱「網壇三巨頭」，如今這名年屆四十一歲的傳奇即將引退，令許多球迷感到不捨。今天就讓我們從他的引退宣言，來學TOEIC測驗的常考英文吧！ acknowledge 認可、承認 費德勒在Twitter上發聲明宣布退休，其中一段這樣感謝他的團隊： I really want to thank and acknowledge my amazing team. . . who have given me the best advice and have always been there for me. （我真的想要感謝和認可我優秀的團隊…，你們給予我最棒的建議，且一直陪伴著我。） acknowledge解釋為「認可」，單字來自於knowledge「知識」，字首「ac-」有「朝向某方向」的意思，代表come to understand or recognize 的意思，因此就是「認可、承認」。 acknowledge 後面加上動名詞，表達「承認做了」某件事情。動詞後面加上動名詞表達已經做了某件事情，其他常見動詞還有forget。forget 後方加上to V 則表達忘記做某件事情。 She acknowledged having been at fault.（她承認自己有做錯。） She forgot turning on the TV.（她忘記已經開了電視。） She forgot to turn on the TV.（她忘記要開電視了。） acknowledge + that acknowledge 加上 that 名詞子句的用法，則代表「承認」某件事情。 She acknowledged that she had been at fault.（她承認自己有過錯。） All I want is some acknowledgment that his behavior is unreasonable. （我只要你們承認他的行為是無理取鬧就好。） 名詞變化acknowledgment 則是去掉 e 並在字尾加上「-ment 」。 We sent her a copy of the book in acknowledgment of her part in its creation. （我們寄給她一本書，以感謝她為這本書的問世所做的貢獻。） 片語in acknowledgement of代表「認可某件事情」，除了動詞加上受詞的用法，也可以採用名詞變化。若用動詞改寫則是We sent
Taiwan’s central bank increased its benchmark interest rate by a modest amount on Thursday last week, the third hike this year, as it tries to battle inflation without further weighing down its slowing economy. The central bank raised its policy rate by 12.5 basis points to 1.625 percent, in line with forecasts of most economists surveyed by Bloomberg. The bank also raised its reserve requirement ratios by 0.25 percentage points. The central bank’s decision came hours after the US Federal Reserve hiked interest rates by 75 basis points, the fifth increase this year, to tame rampant inflation. Taiwan’s policy makers have been
Laugh out loud at ‘stand-up comedy’ 「單口喜劇」：讓你笑到「並軌」 Most of us know someone great at telling jokes. It takes exceptional talent, however, to become a successful stand-up comedian. These people stand up on stage with just a microphone and try their hardest to get as many __1__ from the audience as possible. In countries like the US and the UK, top stand-up comedians are among the best-known celebrities. Most focus on a specific type of comedy in their act. One of the most common is observational comedy, __2__ jokes are made about aspects of everyday life. Another is political satire, which makes fun of people in politics. Early versions
The ‘Barnum effect:’ A common cognitive bias 覺得星座運勢很準？「巴納姆效應」在作祟 Have you ever read your horoscope and thought the predictions were extraordinarily accurate? If so, you’ve experienced the “Barnum effect,” also called the “Forer effect.” This psychological phenomenon refers to the tendency of people to believe that vague, general statements are specific descriptions of themselves. The Barnum effect works exceptionally well for positive statements, as most people’s egos enjoy praise and reject criticism. It’s named after American businessman P.T. Barnum, who’s strongly associated with the phrase, “There’s a sucker born every minute.” This declaration conveys humans’ gullible nature and desire to believe the good things they’re told about themselves. This common