China has ordered 6 million people into lockdown in a city where violent protests broke out at an iPhone factory over COVID-19 isolation policies and working conditions.
Hundreds of workers took to the streets around the vast iPhone factory in Zhengzhou on Wednesday, confronting security personnel wearing hazmat suits and wielding batons, in a rare display of public anger in China.
In the wake of the unrest, Zhengzhou authorities ordered mass testing and an effective lockdown for several districts in the central Chinese city starting today.
Zhengzhou residents cannot leave the area unless they have a negative COVID-19 test and permission from local authorities, and are advised not to leave their homes “unless necessary,” the authorities said.
The restrictions are to affect more than 6 million people, but do not cover the iPhone factory, where workers have for weeks been under COVID-19 restrictions.
One worker said the protests had begun over a dispute over promised bonuses at the factory.
Many of his colleagues were also incensed by “chaotic” living conditions, said the worker, who wished to remain anonymous.
Apple Inc said it had representatives on the ground at the factory and was “reviewing the situation and working ... to ensure their employees’ concerns are addressed.”
The curbs in Zhengzhou are part of China’s “zero COVID-19” policy, which involves lockdowns, travel curbs and mass testing.
However, three years into the COVID-19 pandemic, cases of the disease are now higher than they have ever been in China.
There were 31,444 new domestic infections on Wednesday, the Chinese National Health Commission reported.
The numbers are relatively small compared with China’s vast population of 1.4 billion or global caseloads at the height of the pandemic.
However under China’s “zero COVID-19” policy, even small outbreaks can shut down entire cities and land the contacts of infected people in strict quarantine.
The unrelenting push to thwart transmission has given rise to fatigue and resentment among swathes of the population, sparking sporadic protests and hitting productivity in the world’s second-largest economy. The Zhengzhou protests have been among the highest-profile bouts of unrest.
Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Chongqing have also tightened COVID-19 restrictions as cases have climbed.
The capital now requires a negative polymerase chain reaction test result from within 48 hours for those seeking to enter public places such as shopping malls, hotels and government buildings.
Taipei on Friday rejected Hanoi’s characterization of its recent live-fire drill near Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島) as “illegal,” saying that Taiwan’s claim to the small island in the South China Sea was “unquestionable.” The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said in a statement that the comments made by its Vietnamese counterpart about the military’s routine live-fire drills near Itu Aba on Tuesday were “unacceptable.” Earlier on Friday, Vietnamese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman Le Thi Thu Hang called Taiwan’s military activity “a serious violation of Vietnam’s territorial sovereignty,” saying it had caused tensions and complicated the situation in the region. Hang
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) yesterday said it is more than doubling its US investment to US$40 billion as it plans to make 3-nanometer chips in 2026 at a second Arizona fab, adding to the chipmaker’s original plan of building a US$12 billion fab to make 4-nanometer chips in 2024. The investment would mark the largest foreign direct investment in Arizona’s history and one of the largest foreign direct investments in the history of the US, the world’s largest contract chipmaker said in a statement yesterday. In addition to the more than 10,000 construction workers at the site, TSMC’s two fabs
ENHANCEMENT: The sale would update Taiwan’s Patriot missile system to improve its missile defensive capability and deter threats, the US Department of State said The US has proposed selling Taiwan as many as 100 of its most advanced Patriot air-defense missiles along with radar and support equipment in a deal valued at US$882 million, according to a US Department of State notice obtained by Bloomberg News. The proposal was made under the provisions of a 2010 sale and so technically is not new. It is classified as an enhancement to the earlier deal, with a potential total value of US$2.81 billion. The upgrade would not change the overall value of that deal, which infuriated Beijing at the time and led it to halt planned military exchanges
‘UNITED FRONT’ TOOL? There are already many accounts on Douyin impersonating government agencies, and even Premier Su Tseng-chang, DPP Legislator Mark Ho said Lawmakers and a number of experts yesterday called on the government to ban or heavily regulate Douyin (抖音) over concerns that the short-video platform could be used by China to spread disinformation. Owned by ByteDance Ltd (字節跳動), Douyin and its international version, TikTok, are a subject of concern in democracies worldwide because of potential manipulation by the Chinese government. FBI Director Chris Wray on Friday said that Beijing might have the ability to control TikTok’s recommendation algorithm, “which allows them to manipulate content, and if they want to, to use it for influence operations.” TikTok could also be used to collect personal data