Criminal Investigation Bureau (CIB) officials spent yesterday questioning three key suspects in the heist that targeted First Commercial Bank’s (第一銀行) automated teller machines (ATMs), before transferring them last night to the Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office for further questioning.
Latvian Andrejs Peregudovs, Niklae Penkov from Moldova and Mihail Colibaba from Romania are among 17 people suspected of involvement in the theft of more than NT$83 million (US$2.6 million) on July 9 and July 10.
Peregudovs, who was apprehended in Yilan County on Sunday, was not fully cooperative during questioning, CIB Taipei office squad leader Lee Wen-chang (李文章) said.
Photo: CNA
Evidence collected so far points to him being a high-level member of the gang because he was the main person collecting the money stolen from the ATMs, taking it to hotel rooms and then to storage lockers in the basement of Taipei Railway Station, and telling other “money collectors” when and where to pick up the money, Lee said.
Police said Peregudovs has told them he cannot say too much because he fears the “Russian mafia will harm to my wife and kids,” and he has asked for a lawyer.
Peregudovs said that he was not a member of the Russian mafia, but was recruited to take part in the operation, which he agreed to do because he owed a debt of 3,000 euros (US$3,315), Lee said.
Peregudovs refused to undergo questioning yesterday morning, and asked for medical treatment for blisters on his toes he developed while biking in Yilan, Lee said, adding that the Latvian also said he required medication for a chronic ailment.
Although the investigators thought he was trying to play for time, he was taken to Taipei Medical University Hospital for an examination.
Investigators said that Peregudovs was willing to open up a bit after learning that he would not face the death penalty if convicted of involvement in the theft.
Examination of surveillance camera footage showed that Peregudovs used a mix of old spying technique — “dead letter drops” — and modern technology to move the stolen money around, officials said.
He allegedly placed suitcases filled with the stolen money in storage lockers and other locations, then used WhatsApp to send instructions on the locations and passwords for the lockers for other members of the gang to pick up, they said.
Peregudovs told investigators that left a suitcase containing about NT$20 million near a hiking trail in Taipei’s Neihu District (內湖), which was picked up later on.
However, he also said that the gang operated in closed cells, and he did not know the other suspects involved in the heist.
Penkov and Colibaba — who were arrested on Sunday at the Grand Victoria Hotel in Taipei’s Dazhi area (大直) — have also denied knowing other gang members.
They reportedly admitted to collecting the stolen money, acting according to instructions received via WhatsApp on their mobile phones, but police still want to know how and where they collected the NT$60.24 million found in their hotel room.
TYPHOON: The storm’s path indicates a high possibility of Krathon making landfall in Pingtung County, depending on when the storm turns north, the CWA said Typhoon Krathon is strengthening and is more likely to make landfall in Taiwan, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said in a forecast released yesterday afternoon. As of 2pm yesterday, the CWA’s updated sea warning for Krathon showed that the storm was about 430km southeast of Oluanpi (鵝鑾鼻), Taiwan’s southernmost point. It was moving in west-northwest at 9kph, with maximum sustained winds of 119kph and gusts of up to 155kph, CWA data showed. Krathon is expected to move further west before turning north tomorrow, CWA forecaster Wu Wan-hua (伍婉華) said. The CWA’s latest forecast and other countries’ projections of the storm’s path indicate a higher
TYPHOON DAY: Taitung, Pingtung, Tainan, Chiayi, Hualien and Kaohsiung canceled work and classes today. The storm is to start moving north this afternoon The outer rim of Typhoon Krathon made landfall in Taitung County and the Hengchun Peninsula (恆春半島) at about noon yesterday, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said, adding that the eye of the storm was expected to hit land tomorrow. The CWA at 2:30pm yesterday issued a land alert for Krathon after issuing a sea alert on Sunday. It also expanded the scope of the sea alert to include waters north of Taiwan Strait, in addition to its south, from the Bashi Channel to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島). As of 6pm yesterday, the typhoon’s center was 160km south of
SLOW-MOVING STORM: The typhoon has started moving north, but at a very slow pace, adding uncertainty to the extent of its impact on the nation Work and classes have been canceled across the nation today because of Typhoon Krathon, with residents in the south advised to brace for winds that could reach force 17 on the Beaufort scale as the Central Weather Administration (CWA) forecast that the storm would make landfall there. Force 17 wind with speeds of 56.1 to 61.2 meters per second, the highest number on the Beaufort scale, rarely occur and could cause serious damage. Krathon could be the second typhoon to land in southwestern Taiwan, following typhoon Elsie in 1996, CWA records showed. As of 8pm yesterday, the typhoon’s center was 180km
SECURITY: The New Zealand and Australian navies also sailed military vessels through the Strait yesterday to assert the right of freedom of navigation The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force on Wednesday made its first-ever transit through the Taiwan Strait in response to the intrusion by a Chinese reconnaissance aircraft into Japan’s sovereign airspace last month, Yomiuri Shimbun reported yesterday. The Japanese news platform reported that the destroyer JS Sazanamisailed down through the Taiwan Strait on Wednesday, citing sources in the Japanese government with knowledge of the matter. Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi declined to comment on the reports at a regular briefing because they concern military operations. Military vessels from New Zealand and Australia also sailed through the Strait on the same day, Wellington’s defense ministry