The accidental firing of a missile by the navy on Friday last week is not expected to impact relations across the Taiwan Strait, but China has used the opportunity to put pressure on Taiwan, the National Security Bureau said.
In a report submitted to the legislature’s Foreign and National Defense Committee ahead of its meeting yesterday, the bureau said that the incident in which an anti-ship missile was accidentally fired was widely covered in international media.
There have been no official statements issued by other countries, which led to the bureau’s conclusion that the incident is not expected to affect the regional situation.
Media outlets controlled by the Chinese military did not report on or comment on the incident, but other media reports and online commentaries in China described it as a move to spark tension across the Taiwan Strait, the bureau said.
The government notified China of the incident through the Mainland Affairs Council and the Straits Exchange Foundation, but has not received a direct response and no media reports in China have mentioned the gesture, the bureau added.
China’s Taiwan Affairs Office Minister Zhang Zhijun (張志軍) demanded an explanation from Taiwan when speaking to reporters on Friday last week and reiterated China’s position in maintaining cross-strait peace and stability on the foundation of the so-called “1992 consensus.”
The bureau said Zhang’s remarks and the Chinese media reports show that China is taking advantage of the event and to pressure Taiwan to accept the consensus.
The council said the incident shows the need to maintain effective communications between the two sides of the Strait, which have been suspended since President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) government took office on May 20.
The “1992 consensus,” a term former Mainland Affairs Council chairman Su Chi (蘇起) admitted making up in 2000, refers to a tacit understanding between the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) and the Chinese government that both sides of the Strait acknowledge there is “one China,” with each side having its own interpretation of what “China” means.
SPY GAMES: For more than 20 years, intelligence officers traveled to China, where they identified other MIB personnel and allegedly traded secrets for money and gifts The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office yesterday indicted four retired Military Intelligence Bureau (MIB) officials, who are accused of providing China with a list of bureau personnel and other classified materials while attempting to recruit colleagues into a spy network in Taiwan. Prosecutors charged Chang Chao-jan (張超然), Chou Tien-tzu (周天慈) and Wang Ta-wang (王大旺), former colonels at the bureau, and Yueh Chih-chung (岳志忠) — a former major general and chief of the MIB’s Fifth Bureau, where he was in charge of sending agents to China on covert assignments — with breaches of the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the National Intelligence Services
MAKING A MOVE: Starting on Monday, short-term business travelers can apply for shorter quarantine periods, while transits of up to eight hours would be allowed The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced an easing of restrictions that would from Monday next week allow foreigners to visit or make a transit flight in Taiwan. A policy allowing short-term business travelers from countries with low or medium risks of COVID-19 infections to apply for shorter quarantine periods is also to resume that day. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to be extended after the end of this month, special conditions for foreign nationals to enter Taiwan would be restored from Monday. Foreign nationals
CONTINUED VIGILANCE: People would still be required to wear masks at eight types of public spaces and border controls would continue, Chen Shih-chung told reporters The government’s autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program is to continue beyond Sunday, but eating and drinking on high-speed trains would be allowed from Monday, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that while there were no new confirmed cases in Taiwan yesterday, the global COVID-19 situation remains serious, so the autumn-winter COVID-19 prevention program would be extended beyond its Sunday deadline. “Border control measures, including requiring a negative polymerase chain reaction test result obtained within three days of boarding a plane to Taiwan, and undergoing quarantine in a
MORE RISK? Three Taiwanese family members were found to have the Brazilian variant, which CDC Deputy Director-General Philip Lo said might be more infectious From Wednesday, all travelers who have been in Brazil in the past 14 days are required to be quarantined at a centralized facility after arriving in Taiwan and undergo a COVID-19 test upon ending quarantine, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that starting from 12am on Wednesday, all travelers arriving from Brazil, including those who have transited through the country in the past 14 days, would have to stay at a centralized quarantine facility. “They will be tested for COVID-19 upon completing the 14-day quarantine, and they