Prominent leaders of the Sunflower movement yesterday entered not guilty pleas as their trial for storming the legislature began, saying they would face the justice system head-on.
Lin Fei-fan (林飛帆), Chen Wei-ting (陳為廷) and Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) made the remarks at the Taipei District Court yesterday.
They face charges related to student-led protesters occupying the Legislative Yuan’s main chamber from March 18 to April 10, 2014, in what became known as the Sunflower movement.
Photo: Lo Pei-der, Taipei Times
The trio were among nine defendants summoned to appear in court yesterday.
Judges reviewed more than 100 minutes of video from March 18 to determine whether the defendants were guilty of inciting others to commit an offense, obstructing an officer in discharge of duties and illegal entry, among other charges.
Prosecutors said there are a total of 21 defendants, with Lin, Chen and Huang among the first of three groups scheduled for court appearances.
Prior to entering the court room, Lin said: “I feel this is a good opportunity to defend ourselves in court and to argue the legitimacy of our actions. We have been consistent in our stance when taking on the justice system: that we will face it head-on and we will not evade any legal responsibility.”
“The Sunflower movement was to rescue Taiwan’s constitutional democracy, which was teetering on the edge of a precipice,” Huang said. “So we had to initiate this civil disobedience action to save it. Under our nation’s new democratic system, this movement has a high degree of legitimacy. So we hope these issues can be deliberated upon during the judicial proceedings of this case.”
He said the protest was precipitated by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Chang Ching-chung (張慶忠), who, in violation of legislative procedures, attempted to fast-track the cross-strait service trade agreement through the legislature in 30 seconds on March 17.
“Due to the so-called ‘30-second incident,’ which destroyed Taiwan’s constitutional democracy, the real culprits were Chang Ching-chung and [former president] Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), and also the party they belonged to,” Huang told reporters.
“We fervently believe we are not guilty [of the charges laid by prosecutors]. The guilty ones are Ma, who trampled upon Taiwan’s democratic system, and Chang, who wrecked the legislature’s checks-and-balance mechanism. Those who stood up with courage against them are not guilty, as they tried to save Taiwan’s democracy and freedom,” he said.
Chen said he was not at liberty to speak about the case, because he is serving at a government agency in lieu of his mandatory military service.
SECRET OUT: Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung yesterday accidentally revealed that the infections occurred at the ministry’s Taoyuan General Hospital The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported the fifth COVID-19 case in a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital, where four other medical workers were confirmed to have been infected over the past week. The latest case is a nurse who had tested negative on Tuesday last week, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the CECC, told a news conference. However, on Thursday, she developed symptoms, such as nasal congestion and a cough, and a second test yesterday found that she was infected, Chen said. She is the head nurse of a ward where two
VIGILANCE: While two of the cases are family members of a nurse, there is no sign of community spread and the source of infection is identifiable, the CECC said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported four new domestic COVID-19 cases associated with a cluster infection at a Taoyuan hospital. Since the first case was identified on Tuesday last week, five healthcare workers — two doctors and three nurses — at the Ministry of Health and Welfare’s Taoyuan General Hospital have tested positive for the virus. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that two of the four new cases are the husband and daughter of a nurse (case No. 863) who had earlier been confirmed to have COVID-19. The husband (case No. 864)
Don Quijote, the biggest discount store in Japan, is opening its first store in Taiwan today. The three-story Don Don Donki store in Taipei’s Ximending (西門町) area, which operates 24 hours a day, has already created 400 jobs, the Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) said in a press release. Many Taiwanese, including Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊), consider a trip to Don Quijote an essential stop in Japan. “I have been to Don Quijote at least 10 times myself,” Huang said yesterday at a news conference announcing the store’s opening. “They are rendering an important service, because we cannot travel
INCURSION: After 13 PLA aircraft flew into Taiwan’s ADIZ, the US Department of State said that China should rather ‘engage in meaningful dialogue’ with Taiwan US President Joe Biden’s administration on Saturday urged China to stop placing military pressure on Taiwan, while calling on both sides of the Taiwan Strait to engage in peaceful dialogue. The statement by the US Department of State was issued after 13 Chinese military aircraft flew into Taiwan’s southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Saturday, the highest number observed in a single day this year, the Ministry of National Defense said. The air force scrambled fighter jets to monitor the Chinese aircraft, issuing radio warnings and mobilizing air defense assets until the planes left the ADIZ. The US “notes