President-elect Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday declined to confirm a media report that the so-called “1992 consensus” is to be omitted from her inauguration speech on Friday next week, which has been the subject of much rumor and speculation.
Citing an unidentified source in Tsai’s camp, the Chinese-language Next Magazine yesterday reported that despite Beijing’s repeated attempts to browbeat Tsai into taking a public stance on the “1992 consensus” and the “one China” principle, the president-elect has decided to mention neither in her inaugural speech as a way of responding to her mandate from the electorate.
“The problem with cross-strait issues does not lie in whether Tsai is willing to recognize the ‘1992 consensus’ or the ‘one China’ principle, but rather if these concepts are accepted by the majority of Taiwanese,” the source was quoted as saying.
Photo: Liu hsin-de, Taipei Times
“It is impossible for the new Democratic Progressive Party [DPP] government to fall in line simply because of Beijing’s intimidation,” the source said, urging China to realize that the DPP would not follow in the footsteps of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT), a party that supports the “1992 consensus” and the “one China” principle, and which was voted out of office in January.
The “1992 consensus” — a term former Mainland Affairs Council chairman Su Chi (蘇起) admitted making up in 2000 — refers to a tacit understanding between the KMT and the Chinese Communist Party that both sides acknowledge there is “one China,” with each side having its own interpretation of what “China” means.
The magazine also quoted a member of Tsai’s speech-writing team as saying that the DPP chairperson’s speech consists of three main points: the significance of the nation’s third transfer of power, the predicaments facing Taiwan and her cross-strait policies.
“For cross-strait policies, Tsai is to stick to the fundamentals ... and will reiterate her determination to maintain the ‘status quo’ based on Taiwan’s internal consensus, as it is by far the most beneficial option for all concerned parties,” the team member said.
When asked by reporters whether the “1992 consensus” is indeed absent from her speech, Tsai simply smiled and did not reply as she walked into a meeting of the DPP’s Central Standing Committee in Taipei yesterday.
Speculations about what tone Tsai is going to adopt toward China in her speech has been growing, particularly following a spate of incidents where Beijing has stepped up its efforts to belittle Taiwan in the international arena.
Most notably, the incidents included the forced deportation of Taiwanese fraud suspects to China last month and the unprecedented “one China” proviso attached to Taiwan’s invitation for this year’s World Health Assembly meeting.
DPP spokesman Ruan Jhao-syong (阮昭雄) yesterday downplayed China’s Taiwan Affairs Office spokesman Ma Xiaoguang’s (馬曉光) remarks that “the ball is in the court of Taiwan’s new leader” in terms of the future direction of cross-strait ties.
Praising the “1992 consensus” as an integral part of the cross-strait “status quo,” Ma said both sides could continue their amicable interactions should the incoming government recognize the “1992 consensus.”
“We are not asking any more from Taiwan’s new leader other than what we have already asked for since 2008,” Ma told a news conference in Beijing yesterday.
Ruan said Tsai’s stance on cross-strait issues has been unequivocal, which is to maintain the “status quo,” Taiwan’s freedom and democracy, and peaceful and stable cross-strait development.
“This stance is not only in the best interests of all parties, but is also backed by the consensus opinion of Taiwanese,” Ruan said, adding that responsibility for maintaining cross-strait peace and stability lies with both Beijing and Taipei.
‘TAIWAN MODEL’: The government aims to determine whether using normal scheduled flights better meets its objectives than the charter flights used previously The Straits Exchange Foundation yesterday announced a third set of flights to evacuate 440 Taiwanese from China’s Hubei Province due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The flights, operated by China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) according to its normal schedule, are on Sunday and Monday next week. They are to depart Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 7:50pm and arrive at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 9:50pm, the foundation said. China Airlines is to dispatch two Boeing 777. The aircraft has a capacity of 358 passengers, but each would only carry 220 to ensure a proper distance is maintained between those onboard, it said. Within hours of the foundation
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 17 new cases of COVID-19, bring the nation’s total number of confirmed cases to 252. Of the new cases, 15 were imported and two were locally transmitted, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said at the center’s daily news conference in Taipei. The 15 imported cases were seven women and eight men in their 20s to 60s who entered Taiwan between Monday last week and Monday this week, said Chen, who also heads the center. Prior to the onset of their illness, they had traveled to the US, the UK, New Zealand, Spain,
India yesterday went into a three-week lockdown, with one-third of the world now under orders to stay indoors. India ordered its 1.3 billion people — the world’s second-biggest population — to stay at home for three weeks. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s “total lockdown” call doubled the number of people around the globe under some form of movement restriction to more than 2.6 billion people. However, the order did not stop crowds of people thronging to stock up at grocery shops and pharmacies. India’s tally of 536 cases and nine deaths seems tiny compared with those in China, Italy and Spain, but Indian Prime
An Australian far-right extremist charged with murdering 51 Muslim worshipers in last year’s mass shooting at two New Zealand mosques yesterday unexpectedly flipped his plea to guilty. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern and the Muslim community expressed relief at the surprise decision, which removes the need for a lengthy trial that authorities feared would be used to spout neo-Nazi propaganda. Self-avowed white supremacist Brenton Tarrant, 29, had previously denied 51 charges of murder, 40 of attempted murder and one of terrorism, but reversed his plea at a hurriedly arranged court hearing. “Yes, guilty,” Tarrant told the Christchurch High Court via videolink from