The pan-green and pan-blue camps shared a rare moment of solidarity yesterday, with politicians from both sides attacking the not guilty verdicts handed down on Friday by the Changhua District Court to Ting Hsin International Group (頂新集團) executives accused of being criminally culpable over 2013’s tainted cooking oil scandal.
The court found the six defendants, among them former Ting Hsin executive Wei Ying-chun (魏應充), not guilty of breaching the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法).
KMT presidential candidate Eric Chu’s (朱立倫) campaign office spokesperson Wang Hong-wei (王鴻薇) said that Ting Hsin has not only harmed the health of Taiwanese, but also damaged the reputation of the nation’s food and the office “feels deeply sorry about the ruling and urges prosecutors to appeal it to their fullest capabilities.”
Photo: Tsai Wen-chu, Taipei Times
Wang said the ruling shows that the act is flawed in terms of its clauses concerning punishment and how evidence is adduced.
“It is totally unacceptable that the defendants could be acquitted by saying that base oil — regardless of the unhealthy elements present — could be refined and made into edible oil,” she said.
The office would urge the KMT caucus to work on amending the law and making it more comprehensive, she said.
Five KMT lawmakers seconded the office’s call and said at a news conference that the ruling has “failed the expectations of society and the public.”
KMT caucus whip Lai Shyh-bao (賴士葆) said the judges responsible for the ruling do not even reach the level of “dinosaur judges,” but are “outer-space judges” who are completely out of touch with ordinary people’s lives.
Prosecutors had also not been “attentive enough,” as from the outset of the probe they should have investigated the source of the tainted oil — a Vietnam-based oil manufacturer, Lai said.
Lai called on the Ministry of Health and Welfare to collect and provide more information for prosecutors, so they could effectively appeal the ruling.
“Besides proposing further amendments to the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation, we would also push judicial reform that would allow public participation in judicial procedures,” he said.
The judiciary is independent, but more than 90 percent of the public find the result unacceptable, KMT Legislator Lin Te-fu (林德福) said.
The judges should understand that a large proportion of National Health Insurance spending is related to unhealthy food, he added.
Separately yesterday, Democratic Progressive Party presidential candidate Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) also said the government should provide relevant information to prosecutors so they can appeal the court’s ruling.
“Society is greatly disappointed by the verdict — with people upset and irritated — because this not only shows that the government is incapable of maintaining the safety of the food the public eats, it is equally incapable of penalizing businesses involved in wrongdoing,” Tsai said. “Therefore, we hope that relevant institutions provide the necessary information to prosecutors, so that the prosecutors and the court can have a sufficient understanding of the case to hand down a verdict that meets expectations and the needs of the public for food safety.”
Food safety is one of the top concerns for Taiwanese, therefore the issue is a social, rather than a political issue, Tsai said.
“This is why we put so much emphasis on food safety in our policy platform,” Tsai said.
Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) told reporters that “the ruling is the biggest push so far in the presidential campaign” for the public to vote in the Jan. 16 elections.
When further pressed by reporters on whether he meant “a push for pro-pan-green camp voters,” Ko said: “What do you think?
Additional reporting by Loa Iok-sin
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
CHINESE FIGHTERS: Beijing marked the US Cabinet member’s visit by briefly sending two warplanes across the median line of the Taiwan Strait yesterday morning President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday met with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar in the highest-level official meeting between the two nations since 1979. “It is a true honor to be here to convey a message of strong support and friendship from [US] President [Donald] Trump to Taiwan,” Azar said during the open portion of his courtesy call to the Presidential Office, which was streamed live online before Tsai and Azar held a closed-door meeting. “Taiwan’s response to COVID-19 has been among the most successful in the world, and that is a tribute to the open, transparent,
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did