Eleven vinegar and soybean paste products manufactured by Ta Chun Kong Yen Foods Co (大醇工研食品公司) were ordered to be recalled late on Thursday after the company was allegedly found to have reprocessed expired, defective and returned foodstuffs into new products.
A subsidiary and contract manufacturer of Ta An Kong Yen Foods Co (大安工研食品公司), the nation’s main vinegar manufacturer, which has been operating for 74 years, Ta Chun allegedly adulterated vinegar and soybean paste with expired and soon-to-be-expired products returned by wholesalers, the Shilin District Prosecutors’ Office said.
Prosecutors, along with Ministry of Health and Welfare inspectors, raided the company’s factory in Tamsui District (淡水), New Taipei City, and seized about 311kg of expired and unlabeled products late on Thursday night.
Photo: Liao Chen-huei, Taipei Times
Prosecutors said that they ordered the recall of nine vinegar products and two soybean paste products immediately after the raid.
Ta Chun director Hsu Chin-chun (許金春) was released on NT$5 million (US$152,858) bail after being questioned, while four other company officials were also questioned and posted bail, prosecutors said, adding that they could face fraud charges.
Prosecutors said they had conducted a secret investigation last month after they were informed by former Ta Chun employees in June of the company’s alleged illegal practices.
Photo courtesy of the New Taipei City Public Health Department
Hsu was quoted by her lawyer, Wang Kuei-shu (王桂樹), as saying that she denied any accusation of fraud, but the company “forgot” to tell consumers that its products were made with recycled and reprocessed products, for which the company was at fault.
Stressing that Ta Chun has strictly followed traditional methods when making vinegar and soybean paste, Wang said that the company reprocessed expired products between January last year and June this year, adding that “the longer the vinegar is stored, the more fragrant it is.”
Ta An director Hsu Chia-hsu (許嘉旭), the brother of Hsu Chin-chun, had no knowledge about the management of Ta Chun and the two companies operate independently, Wang said.
The Food and Drug Administration said that all foodstuffs must be labeled with an expiration date and it is illegal to use or sell any expired products and ingredients according to the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法).
Violators are subject to a fine of between NT$60,000 and NT$200 million, as well as the suspension or withdrawal of their operating license, the administration said.
The administration said all the suspected problematic products must be removed from shelves by midnight on Sunday and violators could face a maximum fine of NT$3 million, according to the act.
In response, Ta An said yesterday that all its products had passed government inspections and examinations by a third-party facility with no reported irregularities and that prosecutors have not produced any evidence that Ta Chun’s products were problematic.
Ta An said it would nevertheless comply with the order to recall the products.
Executive Yuan Food Safety Office Director Kang Jaw-jou (康照洲) said that the case was a violation by a single manufacturer rather than a large-scale food safety issue, adding that although it is possible the reprocessed foodstuffs contain no toxic substances, such practices are untruthful and fraudulent.
SOLIDARITY: A group of European lawmakers condemned China’s aggressive moves, while the foreign minister of Lithuania said Taiwan ‘cannot become a second Ukraine’ A German parliamentary delegation would visit Taiwan in the first week of October, German lawmaker Holger Becker on Monday told visiting Democratic Progressive Party legislators Fan Yun (范雲) and Lin I-chin (林宜瑾) at the Bundestag in Berlin. Asked by Fan whether he is worried about possible reprisals from Beijing, such as banning him and his family from entering China, Becker said he is more interested in visiting Taiwan, as “now is the time for democracies to stand together.” Fan and Lin also met with German officials to exchange views on digital education and governance. Investing in digital infrastructure and protecting equal rights to
As China waged extensive military exercises off Taiwan, a group of US defense experts in Washington was focused on their own simulation of an eventual — but for now entirely hypothetical — US-China war over the nation. The unofficial what-if game is being conducted on the fifth floor of an office building not far from the White House, and it posits a US military response to a Chinese invasion in 2026. Even though the participants bring a US perspective, they are finding that a US-Taiwan victory, if there is one, could come at a huge cost. “The results are showing that under
‘SIMULATED ATTACKS’: Ten warships each from China and Taiwan were maneuvering at close quarters in the Taiwan Strait, with some Chinese vessels crossing the median line Taiwan yesterday reiterated that it would not succumb to pressure from Beijing after China carried out its most provocative military drills in decades in retaliation for US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan last week. “We will never bow to pressure. We uphold freedom and democracy, and believe Taiwanese disapprove [of] China’s bullying actions with force and saber rattling at our door,” Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said yesterday. China had “arrogantly” disrupted regional peace and stability, he said, calling on Beijing to not flex its military muscles. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) has also called on the international community to “support
DRILLS CONTINUE: China’s creation of a restricted zone across the median line of the Taiwan Strait challenges a 70-year-old fact, a ministry of defense official said The nation’s military fully complies with international rules and guidelines when responding to Chinese military drills, the Ministry of National Defense said yesterday, vowing to continue defending Taiwan in accordance with international law. China on Thursday launched four days of military drills around Taiwan proper in response to US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taipei. The drills were expected to end on Sunday, but neither Beijing nor Taipei confirmed their conclusion, although the Ministry of Transportation and Communications said it had seen some evidence suggesting at least a partial drawdown. However, China yesterday said the drills would continue, saying “the