South Korea reported its fifth death from Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) as the government yesterday vowed “all-out” measures to curb the outbreak that is threatening to spread nationwide, including tracking the mobile phones of those in quarantine.
The number of infections rose to 64 after 14 new cases of the disease, including one death, were confirmed late on Saturday night, the South Korean Ministry of Health said.
It is the largest outbreak outside Saudi Arabia where it has infected more than 950 since 2012.
As of yesterday, more than 2,300 people had been placed under quarantine of varying degrees. About 2,100 were told to stay home and strictly limit their interactions with others, while about 200 were isolated in state hospitals.
All the 14 new infections were among people already in quarantine after being exposed to those diagnosed earlier, the ministry said.
However, Busan City authorities reported an additional case in the country’s southern port and second-largest city, sparking alarm that the outbreak might spread nationwide.
The case was not included among the 14 new infections confirmed by the health ministry.
Acting South Korean Prime Minister Choi Kyung-hwan vowed yesterday that “all-out efforts” would be made to curb the spread of the disease in Asia’s fourth-largest economy.
He urged the public not to panic, saying all 64 patients had already been in hospital quarantine.
“We can keep the situation under control because... the outbreak is not spreading to the outside community,” Choi said at a press conference “People should not overreact and should cooperate closely [with the government] to minimise negative impact on the economy.”
South Korean President Park Geun-hye’s administration and health officials have come under a storm of criticism over a perceived slow and insufficient response to the outbreak.
A policy not to name the hospitals where patients were diagnosed or treated was a major focus of public criticism.
Choi on Sunday disclosed the list of 24 such hospitals — mostly in Seoul or Gyeongi Province surrounding the capital — saying it was aimed at “easing public anxiety.”
Authorities had earlier confirmed one case in Sunchang, about 240km south of Seoul, with the entire village of about 100 people having been sealed since Saturday.
Bigger budget support was also promised for those placed under quarantine and for local governments and school authorities struggling to contain the outbreak.
Samsung Medical Center in Seoul — where 17 cases were confirmed — yesterday said that more than 890 patients and medical staff had been exposed to those infected.
“We notified the 893 people immediately and carried out necessary quarantine measures,” hospital president Song Jae-hoon told reporters.
However, Seoul Mayor Park Won-soon warned of potential danger of the outbreak at the hospital — one of the country’s largest, visited by more than 8,000 patients a day.
“We are afraid that there is a significant possibility that the outbreak at the Samsung hospital could spread to the local community,” Park said.
Park last week declared “war” on the outbreak and called for more transparency from the central government to curb the spread of the disease in the capital — home to 10 million people.
The Seoul education council yesterday ordered the closure of all 126 kindergartens and primary schools in Gangnam and Seocho districts in southern Seoul, where the Samsung hospital is located.
Health authorities warned that they were expecting more new cases of those who had been infected at the hospital in recent weeks.
More than 1,300 schools have been closed temporarily. Public events and sports games were cancelled across the country.
The government and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday both spoke out against plans by the Chinese government to enact a national security law in Hong Kong. Chinese officials yesterday confirmed that the National People’s Congress would review a bill “on establishing and improving the legal system and enforcement mechanisms for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to safeguard national security.” The Presidential Office said that the announcement was evidence that the “one country, two systems” framework fundamentally clashes with democratic freedoms. The de-escalation of tensions between Hong Kong and Beijing relies on the Chinese government’s willingness to respond to Hong Kongers’ demands,
NPP WARNING: The NPP’s chairman said that a security law proposed by Beijing means it has renounced its promise to maintain ‘one country, two systems’ in HK The Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) yesterday proposed changing the law to provide protection for those seeking political asylum. China at the opening of the National People’s Congress in Beijing on Thursday introduced a draft security law for Hong Kong to ban treason, subversion and sedition, with a review expected next week. TPP caucus whip Jang Chyi-lu (張其祿) said that the party is concerned about democracy advocates in Hong Kong and has taken action to support them. The party has proposed an amendment to Article 18 of the Act Governing Relations with Hong Kong and Macau (香港澳門關係條例), which stipulates that the government can offer
The number of people from Hong Kong applying for residency in Taiwan last year rose 41 percent from a year earlier to 5,858, National Immigration Agency statistics showed. The statistics also showed that 600 applications were filed by Hong Kong residents in the first quarter of this year — three times the number filed in the same period last year — with applicants apparently not deterred by the COVID-19 pandemic. Just one day after it was reported that the Chinese government plans to enact new national security laws in Hong Kong, inquiries regarding immigration to Taiwan grew 10-fold, a Hong Kong-based immigration
‘BEGINNING OF THE END’: Democracy advocate Joshua Wong urged Hong Kongers to stand up and fight, and let the Chinese government know that they will not cave Hong Kong protesters yesterday battled with riot police in busy downtown areas, showing their opposition toward China’s dramatic move to crack down on dissent in the biggest demonstration since the coronavirus swept through the territory in January. Police deployed a water cannon and fired tear gas in the Causeway Bay shopping area after hundreds of protesters had gathered to oppose new national security legislation from China. Police warned the crowd they were taking part in an illegal gathering, and later said in a statement that “rioters threw umbrellas, water bottles and other objects at them.” At least 120 people were arrested,