Israel’s bombardment of Gaza left dozens more Palestinians dead yesterday after a black day for the Israeli army, with the spiral of violence showing no sign of abating.
As the conflict entered its fourth week, diplomatic efforts by the international community and calls for an end to the bloodshed fell on deaf ears, despite the mounting toll in human life and destruction in the narrow coastal enclave.
Both sides appeared more determined than ever to keep up the fighting.
The Israeli offensive, which began on July 8 to end Hamas rocket attacks on Israel, has cost the lives of more than 1,100 Palestinians, civilians for the most part according to the UN, while Israel has lost 53 soldiers, the heaviest toll since the conflict with Hezbollah in 2006.
Three civilians — two Israelis and a Thai worker — have also died on Israeli soil after being struck by rockets fired from Gaza.
After an uneasy truce to mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan and the Eid al-Fitr holiday on Monday, a deluge of bombs rained down on Gaza throughout the night.
Several tank shells struck Gaza’s sole power plant, causing damage and a fire, bringing it grinding to a halt, a senior official with the power authority said.
An air strike targeted the home of top Hamas leader Ismail Haniya in Gaza City’s Shati refugee camp, officials said.
By the time dawn broke on the second day of Eid, at least 24 people had been killed, among them nine women and four children, medics said.
“Suddenly, missiles were falling like rain,” Gaza resident Mohamed al-Dalo said. “We all left our homes, some running in one direction, some in another, nobody knew which way to go, but people were calling out: ‘Evacuate.’”
The WHO now estimates that more than 215,000 people, or one Gazan in every eight, have fled their homes in the overcrowded territory.
Many have headed for already-cramped UN schools in the north, where children ran barefoot around a dirty school yard alongside stinking piles of rubbish.
Meanwhile, Israel yesterday announced that another five soldiers had been killed in an ambush by militants the previous evening after they sneaked into southern Israel by a tunnel.
Also on Monday, a mortar killed four soldiers near a kibbutz in southern Israel, the army said, while also indicating that another soldier had been killed in action in southern Gaza.
Their deaths raised to 53 the total number of soldiers killed in the Gaza offensive.
Following a relatively quiet weekend, the violence surged again on Monday, drawing increasingly urgent international demands for an end to the fighting.
“In the name of humanity, the violence must stop,” UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said.
However, the calls went unheeded, with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warning on Monday that it would be “a lengthy campaign” that would not end before troops destroyed cross-border tunnels used for staging attacks on southern Israel.
“Israeli citizens cannot live with the threat from rockets and from death tunnels — death from above and from below,” he said.
Tensions had risen sharply after a shell on Monday landed inside the Shifa hospital compound in Gaza City, followed by a blast at a children’s playground in the city’s Shati refugee camp, that killed 10, eight of them children.
Residents in Shati said an F-16 fired several missiles at a motorized rickshaw in a claim denied by the Israeli army, which also said it had not targeted the hospital.
“We have not fired on the hospital or on Shati refugee camp,” Major Arye Shalicar said, adding that the army had footage showing militants firing at Israel, but the missiles falling short and striking targets inside Gaza.
With the toll of Palestinian dead rising, Iran’s supreme leader accused Israel of committing “genocide” in Gaza, and demanded the Islamic world arm those Palestinians involved in fighting the Jewish state.
In a speech yesterday marking the Eid festival, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said Israel was acting like a “rabid dog” and “a wild wolf” and causing a human catastrophe in Gaza, where people should be helped to defend itself.
A Taiwanese YouTuber suspected of creating and selling deepfake porn videos featuring more than 100 politicians and influencers was on Monday released on bail after being arrested the previous day. Chu Yu-chen (朱玉宸), 26, who uses the name Xiaoyu (小玉) on YouTube, was arrested on Sunday in New Taipei City, along with two suspected accomplices, a 24-year-old YouTuber surnamed Yeh (耶), known as Shaiw Shaiw (笑笑), and a 22-year-old man Chuang (莊). The three suspects were on Monday escorted to the New Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office for further questioning on suspicion of distributing obscene videos and publicly insulting others, in contravention of
ANTI-COERCION: EU Commissioner for Competition Margrethe Vestager said the EU wishes to bolster relations with Taiwan within the framework of its ‘one China’ policy The EU is to further its engagement with Taiwan to defend democracy, freedom and an open market, while bolstering cooperation in semiconductor supply chains, EU Commissioner for Competition Margrethe Vestager said on Tuesday. In her remarks at a European Parliament plenary session focused on Taiwan-EU relations, Vestager referred to China’s increasing military presence in the Taiwan Strait, including flying missions off the southwest coast of Taiwan. “This display of force may have a direct impact on European security and prosperity,” she said, adding that the EU encourages all parties to avoid any unilateral actions that might increase tensions across the Strait. “We Europeans
Hon Hai Precision Industry Co (鴻海精密) yesterday debuted three electric vehicle (EV) prototypes to great fanfare at its Tech Day event at the Taipei Nangang Exhibition Center. The prototypes of sports utility vehicle Model C, luxury sedan Model E and electric bus Model T were developed by Foxtron Vehicles Technologies Co (鴻華先進), a joint venture between Hon Hai and Yulon Motor Co (裕隆汽車). The Model C and Model E are to be initially sold under the Yulon-affiliated Luxgen Motor Co (納智捷汽車) and China Motor Corp (中華汽車) brands when they hit the market, Hon Hai chairman Young Liu (劉揚偉) said. The company expects
MILITARY RESOLVE: Washington does not want a cold war with Beijing, it just wants ‘China to understand that we’re not going to step back,’ Biden told a CNN town hall The US would come to Taiwan’s defense and has a commitment to defend the nation China claims as its own, US President Joe Biden said on Thursday, although the White House later said there was no change in policy toward Taiwan. “Yes, we have a commitment to do that,” Biden said at a CNN town hall meeting when asked if the US would come to the defense of Taiwan, which has been facing mounting military and political pressure from Beijing to accept Chinese sovereignty. While Washington is required by law to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself, it has long