Former Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) chairman Lin I-hsiung (林義雄) yesterday was hospitalized on the seventh day of his hunger strike against the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant and whether he could continue his protest remained unknown.
Lin was taken to National Taiwan University (NTU) Hospital emergency center at about 3:40pm for an examination after briefly leaving the site of his hunger strike in Taipei and paying tribute to his deceased family members in a cemetery in his hometown in Yilan County earlier in the day.
Lin spokesperson Chen Shang-chih (陳尚志) initially told reporters that the examination “does not mean the hunger strike is over,” but revised his comment afterward, saying that “the more precise answer would be I don’t know.”
The 73-year-old remained in the hospital as of press time. The hospital did not comment on Lin’s condition, citing privacy.
Volunteers began to remove the temporary furniture in the church set up for Lin’s hunger strike at about 5pm.
A volunteer said that the furniture would be shipped back to Yilan, but did not elaborate.
Lee Min-yung (李敏勇), a poet and a friend of Lin, was quoted by Newtalk, an online news Web site, as saying that Lin would be leaving Taipei for Yilan.
While the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) on Sunday, and Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) yesterday, agreed not to continue the construction of the plant’s No. 1 reactor and to suspend the construction of the No. 2 reactor, Lin has yet to respond to the pledge.
Lin left Gikong Presbyterian Church (義光長老教會) at about 9am yesterday for Yilan and returned to the church at 2:20pm to continue his protest.
The church was converted from the Lin family’s former residence, where Lin’s mother and twin daughters were murdered on Feb. 28, 1980, while his eldest daughter survived despite multiple stab wounds.
Appearing physically weak due to the hunger strike, Lin had to be assisted by his wife, Fan Su-min (方素敏), and younger sister, Lin Li-chen (林麗貞), on the 300m walk from the gate of the cemetery to the tomb of his mother and twin daughters.
Teary-eyed and silent, Lin I-hsiung bowed to the tomb and appeared to be trying very hard to contain his emotions. He walked around the tomb and bowed again three times before leaving.
Lin I-hsiung’s letter to his surviving daughter, Judy Linton, was published on Lin I-hsiung’s Web site, in which the antinuclear advocate said that he was energized by the trip back home and he had always tried to double his efforts to pursue his ideals to honor the passing of his mother and twin daughters.
He asked for the family’s forgiveness for his action, saying that he believed he was doing the right thing and “God had it all planned out,” which was why he staged the hunger strike without thinking about the consequences.
As Lin I-hsiung appeared to be bidding farewell to his family and friends with the visit, former premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) of the DPP urged him to “live on and keep fighting for Taiwan’s future.”
Meanwhile, in other developments, the DPP legislative caucus told a press conference yesterday afternoon that it would demand that Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) to report to the Legislative Yuan in accordance with Constitutional Interpretation No. 520.
Jiang should pledge that no additional budget would be allocated to the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in the future and that the already allocated budget would not be spent so that people would be convinced that the government “was not playing tricks with its promise to discontinue the nuclear power plant,” DPP caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) said.
The DPP’s preferred option remained terminating the construction, Ker said, adding that its second option is a special statute on a national referendum on the plant.
SURPRISE GUEST: Media reports identified the visitor as Admiral Michael Studeman, director of the J2, which oversees intelligence at the US military’s Indo-Pacific Command A two-star US Navy admiral overseeing US military intelligence in the Asia-Pacific region has made an unannounced visit to Taiwan, two sources told Reuters on Sunday. The sources, who include a Taiwanese official familiar with the situation, said the official was Rear Admiral Michael Studeman. They were speaking on condition of anonymity. After initially saying on Sunday night that it had no comment about the report, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it welcomed the visit of an “unidentified US official,” but declined to give more details because the trip “has not been made public.” Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵) yesterday
AUTUMN STRUGGLE: The KMT and TPP set up stages on the rally’s sidelines, while Want Want boss Tsai Eng-meng said the DPP was curtailing freedom of speech Tens of thousands of people in Taipei yesterday took part in the “Autumn Struggle” (秋鬥) — an annual protest march by labor groups — but with this year’s focus on rejecting the government’s plan to allow imports of US pork containing ractopamine residue. “Against poisonous pork, against double standards, against a party-state,” the protesters, mostly wearing black, chanted in front of the rally’s main stage on Ketagalan Boulevard at about noon, before a parade set off at 2pm. Autumn Struggle spokesperson Lee Chien-cheng (李建誠) said this year’s march was divided into three teams, with the first team urging food safety and labor
DEFENSE: The construction of indigenous submarines will be a testament to the nation’s commitment to safeguard its sovereignty, President Tsai Ing-wen said President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday presided over a ceremony to mark the start of construction of the nation’s first indigenous submarine at state-run shipbuilder CSBC Corp’s (台灣國際造船) shipyard in Kaohsiung. “This submarine is an important part of allowing our navy to develop asymmetric warfare and to intimidate and block enemy ships from surrounding Taiwan’s main island,” Tsai said. “With the construction of the submarine to its future commission, we will certainly let the world know our persistence in safeguarding our sovereignty.” Tsai has made boosting the nation’s indigenous defense capacity a central pillar of her defense policy. She recently relaunched the
TIMELINE QUESTIONS: Chen Shih-chung said: ‘If anyone could assure us that we could get the shots in the first quarter of next year, we could set off firecrackers’ Taiwan has secured nearly 15 million COVID-19 vaccine doses, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported five new imported infections among travelers from Indonesia and the Philippines. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that Taiwan on Monday signed a procurement contract with a COVID-19 vaccine manufacturer and paid a deposit to secure 10 million doses. It was the first contract finalized with a manufacturer and negotiations are under way with three other vaccine makers, Chen said. With the more than 4.6 million doses that can be obtained through the COVAX platform —