Tens of thousands of people rallied yesterday in front of the Presidential Office in Taipei and marched to the Executive Yuan, calling on government officials to apologize for forced land seizures and to stop such policies.
“It is Aug. 18 today, and it was just three years ago, on Aug. 17, that the government promised Dapu [Borough 大埔] residents that their houses would be preserved, while their farmland would be relocated,” Taiwan Rural Front (TRF) president Hsu Shih-jung (徐世榮) said.
“After government officials failed to keep their promises and instead flattened private homes, they ask us to remain calm, but how can we stay calm?” Hsu asked.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
The crowd responded with cheering and applause.
“Apologize and compensate!” “Return the land to the people!” they shouted.
Hsu was referring to a negotiation meeting held in 2010 which featured Vice President Wu Den-yih (吳敦義), who was then premier; Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺), the then minister of the interior; and Miaoli County Commissioner Liu Cheng-hung (劉政鴻), following a series of protests against a plan to clear private land and homes to make way for a science park.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
However, despite government promises, four houses in Miaoli County’s Dapu were torn down unexpectedly on July 18, when the county commissioner sent in demolition squads escorted by police officers while the home owners and their supporters were in Taipei protesting the demolition plan.
Asked about the surprise demolition the day after, Liu called it a “god-given opportunity.”
“A month ago, we said that we will tear down the government if they don’t apologize, and now here we are,” said Liao Pen-chuan (廖本全), an associate professor at National Taipei University’s Department of Real Estate and Built Environment.
“We’re not flattening government buildings, but what we are going to do is to destroy the system, which is supposed to protect the disadvantaged. We’re also taking down politicians who are misusing the system to exploit the disadvantaged,” Liao added.
The crowd also set up a mock memorial hall for the county commissioner, with Liu’s portrait in the center, and flowers and incense burners in front of the portrait.
A bag of cow manure was also placed by the mock memorial for people to throw at Liu’s portrait.
“Liu Cheng-hung, cross over the bridge!” the crowd shouted, referring to a traditional belief that the spirit of a newly dead person crosses a bridge into the underworld for judgment.
Since it is believed that the spirits are confused and do not know the way, he or she needs to be reminded to cross the bridge.
Several other organizations for people affected by different development projects also showed up at the rally to show their support and to tell the crowd their stories.
The four families from the demolished houses in Dapu thanked the crowd for their support and promised they will stand with other victims of development projects from now on.
After the rally, the crowd made a stop at the Ministry of the Interior, which is in charge of approving development or urban projects, where they protested outside the building.
The protest was still ongoing as of press time.
SOURED RELATIONS: Program director Jennifer Liu said the move to Taipei was due to a ‘perceived lack of friendliness’ from Beijing Language and Culture University Harvard University is to relocate its summer Mandarin program from Beijing to National Taiwan University (NTU) starting next year, a student publication reported on Thursday last week. Run at Beijing Language and Culture University (BLCU) since 2004, the Harvard Beijing Academy is to become the Harvard Taipei Academy once it moves to Taiwan, Crimson magazine reported. Program director Jennifer Liu (劉力嘉) attributed the decision to a “perceived lack of friendliness” from the Chinese university, potentially due to shifting political winds. Liu told the magazine that BLCU in recent years had failed to provide a single dorm for the students or separate accommodation of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus yesterday issued a rebuttal to former US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, who said a fistfight in the Legislative Yuan might have been “provoked from the outside” to destabilize Taiwan. Rice made the comment in an online discussion about the AUKUS alliance of Australia, the UK and the US hosted by the Policy Exchange forum in London on Thursday. On mention of Taiwan, she was quoted by The Australian as predicting that Beijing would use paramilitary forces and acts of sabotage to destabilize the nation. “There was a fistfight in the Taiwanese parliament a few weeks ago
ADVANCING TECH: With revenue on target to reach US$15.4 billion, the Hsinchu-based chipmaker said it is looking to produce 3-nanometer chips later this year Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) yesterday announced plans to build a new plant in Japan next year to produce 22-nanometer and 28-nanometer chips in its latest effort to expand its global manufacturing footprint. The Japanese fab is to start operations in 2024, the world’s biggest contract chipmaker said, ending months of speculation. “We have received strong commitment to supporting this project from our customers and the Japanese government,” TSMC chief executive officer C.C. Wei (魏哲家) told a quarterly investors’ conference. “We believe the expansion of our global manufacturing footprint will enable us to better serve our customers’ needs and reach global talent,
KNOWN ISSUES: Fire safety issues were found in the 40-year-old building, which previously housed a theater and restaurants, in 2019, last year and May, an official said Forty-six people died and 41 were injured in a building fire that raged out of control for hours overnight in Kaohsiung, authorities said yesterday. Flames and smoke billowed from the lower floors of the 13-story Cheng Chung Cheng (城中城) building on Fubei Road in Yancheng District (鹽埕), as firefighters tried to douse the blaze from the street and aerial platforms. The death toll rose steadily through the day as rescue workers searched the combined commercial and residential building. By late afternoon, authorities said 32 bodies had been found, while a further 14 people who showed no signs of life were among 55