Taipei and Manila have reached a consensus on initiating a joint investigation into the shooting of Taiwanese fisherman Hung Shih-cheng (洪石成) by Philippine Coast Guard personnel and will soon work out how to proceed with the matter, Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lin (林永樂) said yesterday.
Lin saw the agreement a “positive” step toward resolving the diplomatic spat.
Both sides have agreed to arrange for the other side to conduct fact-finding trips in their respective countries to discover the truth behind the fatal shooting and have shown willingness to cooperate with each other during their individual investigations, Lin said.
Photo courtesy of the Ministry of Justice
The bilateral cooperation in the case was termed, both by Lin and Philippine Department of Justice Secretary Leila de Lima, as a “parallel investigation” instead of a “joint investigation” to avoid concerns on both sides of sovereign interference.
A bilateral mechanism to enable cooperation on the case was established when Taiwan’s investigative team visited Manila late last week and both sides have presented their requests to open investigation in writing to each other, Lin said.
“With the consensus, both sides will determine an agenda and items of cooperation for their investigations on the principle of reciprocity to facilitate the uncovering of the truth and subsequent punishment of those responsible,” Lin said.
After a two-day stay in Manila, the Taiwanese team returned home on Saturday “dissatisfied.” During their stay in Manila, several Philippine officials told them that a joint investigation was “out of question.”
An official familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity that the rhetoric by both sides came at a time when tensions were at a peak and were uttered as a “political gesture” to show their discontent with each other.
Manila does not have a problem with Taiwan investigating the case in the Philippines, the official said, adding “the tense atmosphere last week was not conducive to negotiation, which was why the investigation team returned on Saturday seemingly empty-handed.”
The ministry added in a press release that Manila Economic and Cultural Office Chairman Amadeo Perez visited Taiwan’s representative office in Manila on Friday to say that a meeting could be set up today for the investigative team to meet with personnel from the Philippines Bureau of National Investigation.
Both sides will allow prosecutors from the other side to “interrogate witnesses” and look into evidence related to the incident, the ministry said, adding that Taiwan will soon send a delegation to the Philippines after personnel with judicial departments of both sides finalize details on how to cooperate with their investigations.
Meanwhile, Deputy Minister of Justice Chen Ming-tang (陳明堂) yesterday said the Kuang Ta Hsing No. 28 was riddled with 45 inward bullet holes, 24 of which were concentrated on a cabin where the boat’s four crew had been hiding.
The Ministry of Justice also publicized evidence it said indicated that the death of 65-year-old Hung was intentional.
Among the evidence presented by the ministry was a bullet with Hung’s blood on it that was recovered from the boat, two pictures showing fatal bullet wounds on Hung’s neck, pictures of the bullet marks on the cabin and the boat’s Voyage Data Recorder.
The recorder’s data shows the precise location of the boat when the incident took place, which was within Taiwan’s exclusive economic zone, Chen said.
“It is a cross-border crime, with evidence such as the suspects, the Philippine Coast Guard and guns in the Philippines, while the victims and the boat are in Taiwan,” he said. “It would be impossible to resolve the case if the two countries did not work together and combine all their evidence.”
Meanwhile, in Manila, Perez said the Philippines is waiting for tempers in Taiwan to cool before settling the dispute.
Issues like Manila’s “one China” policy and comments by Taiwanese investigators branding the incident as “murder” have complicated the situation, Perez said in an interview with DZMM radio.
Additional reporitng by Rich Chang and AFP
The US Department of State yesterday criticized Beijing over its misrepresentation of the US’ “one China” policy in the latest diplomatic salvo between the two countries over a bid by Taiwan to regain its observer status at the World Health Assembly, the decisionmaking body of the WHO. “The PRC [People’s Republic of China] continues to publicly misrepresent U.S. policy,” Department of State spokesman Ned Price wrote on Twitter. “The United States does not subscribe to the PRC’s ‘one China principle’ — we remain committed to our longstanding, bipartisan one China policy, guided by the Taiwan Relations Act, Three Joint Communiques, and
FATES LINKED: The US president said that sanctions on Russia over Ukraine must exact a ‘long-term price,’ because otherwise ‘what signal does that send to China?’ US President Joe Biden yesterday vowed that US forces would defend Taiwan militarily in the event of a Chinese attack in his strongest statement to date on the issue. Beijing is already “flirting with danger,” Biden said following talks with Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida in Tokyo, in which the pair agreed to monitor Chinese naval activity and joint Chinese-Russian exercises. Asked if Washington was willing to get involved militarily to defend Taiwan, he replied: “Yes.” “That’s the commitment we made,” Biden said. “We agreed with the ‘one China’ policy, we signed on to it ... but the idea that it can be
INFORMATION LEAKED: Documents from Xinjiang purportedly showed top leaders in Beijing calling for a forceful crackdown and even orders to shoot to kill Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) yesterday held a videoconference with UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet as she visited Xinjiang during a mission overshadowed by fresh allegations of Uighur abuses and fears she is being used as a public relations tool. The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has been accused of detaining more than 1 million Uighurs and other Muslim minorities in the region as part of a years-long crackdown the US and lawmakers in other Western nations have labeled a “genocide.” China denies the allegations. Bachelet was expected to visit the cities of Urumqi and Kashgar on a six-day tour. The US
SUBTLE? While Biden said the US policy of ‘strategic ambiguity’ on Taiwan had not changed, the group targeted China and Russia without naming them Leaders of Australia, India, Japan and the US yesterday warned against attempts to “change the status quo by force,” as concerns grow about whether China could invade Taiwan. The issue of Taiwan loomed over a leadership meeting in Tokyo of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad) nations — the US, Japan, Australia and India — who stressed their determination to ensure a free and open Indo-Pacific region in the face of an increasingly assertive China, although Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said the group was not targeting any one country. The four leaders said in a joint statement issued after their talks