Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs Koichiro Gemba yesterday vowed continued dialogue with China over a blistering territorial dispute, but warned that there were limits on how far Tokyo would go to compromise.
Gemba welcomed the meeting of senior officials from the Japanese and Chinese foreign ministries in Tokyo on Thursday, at which the two agreed a vice ministerial-level meeting should be held.
“Both Japan and China need to think calmly about what to do … even if it takes some time,” Gemba said. “I regard Thursday’s meeting as part of the idea. We are continuing communications.”
However, Gemba added: “It’s not easy. The important thing is that we cannot give over what we cannot give over.”
Asia’s two largest economies are at loggerheads over the sovereignty of an uninhabited, but possibly resource-rich island chain in the East China Sea, the Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台), which are also claimed by Taiwan. The islands, known as the Senkakus in Japan, are administered by Tokyo.
Asked when the planned vice ministerial meeting would be held, Gemba said things were being arranged, but added: “It will take place, that’s for sure.”
Gemba said that on his upcoming tour of European countries he would be pushing Tokyo’s case with international partners.
“Relations between Japan and China have a very big impact on not only peace and security in East Asia, but also the entire global economy,” said Gemba, who is scheduled to visit Britain, France and Germany from Monday to Oct. 20.
“As a matter of course, I am supposed to explain about our country’s position” over the dispute, Gemba said.
The dispute over the islands, which has rumbled for decades, flared in August and last month with landings by nationalists from both sides and the subsequent nationalization of three of the islands by Tokyo.
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
CHINESE FIGHTERS: Beijing marked the US Cabinet member’s visit by briefly sending two warplanes across the median line of the Taiwan Strait yesterday morning President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday met with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar in the highest-level official meeting between the two nations since 1979. “It is a true honor to be here to convey a message of strong support and friendship from [US] President [Donald] Trump to Taiwan,” Azar said during the open portion of his courtesy call to the Presidential Office, which was streamed live online before Tsai and Azar held a closed-door meeting. “Taiwan’s response to COVID-19 has been among the most successful in the world, and that is a tribute to the open, transparent,
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did