The UN Security Council has imposed sanctions against Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi in a new bid to halt the bloodshed in Libya, while ordering a crimes-against-humanity investigation into his crackdown on opponents.
A vote by the 15-nation body at a solemn Saturday night meeting called for a travel ban and assets freeze against Qaddafi and his family and associates and an arms embargo against Libya, where the UN said more than 1,000 people have been killed.
The council united to condemn what it called violence incited “from the highest level” of Libyan leaders.
The travel ban and assets freeze in Resolution 1970 target the 68-year-old Libyan leader, four of his sons and daughter Aisha, and top defense and intelligence officials accused of playing a role in the bloodshed.
The 16 names on the sanctions list were cut from 22 during negotiations. Diplomats said this was a move to encourage senior regime members to turn against Qaddafi.
The bloodshed was referred to the International Criminal Court (ICC) because the council said “the widespread and systematic attacks currently taking place [in Libya] against the civilian population may amount to crimes against humanity.”
Under the resolution, all arms sales to Libya must stop immediately. The resolution also called on Libya to let in humanitarian supplies and to protect foreigners.
The measures were “a powerful signal of the determination of the international community to stand with the people of Libya and determine their own future,” said British Ambassador Mark Lyall Grant who led the resolution campaign with France, Germany and the US.
Reflecting the unanimous condemnation of Qaddafi, South Africa’s envoy Baso Sangqu said the whole world had been shocked by “the untold atrocities.”
US Ambassador Susan Rice said the council “has come together to condemn the violence, pursue accountability and adopt biting sanctions, targeting Libya’s unrepentant leadership.”
The landmark vote saw the US support referring a crisis case to the ICC for the first time.
The US is not a member of the ICC and abstained when the Darfur conflict in Sudan was sent to the international court in 2005. China and Russia also backed the Libya resolution even though they also traditionally oppose sanctions action against individual countries.
Libya is the first of the Arab nations hit by political and social turmoil in recent weeks to be discussed at the Security Council.
Libyan Deputy Ambassador Ibrahim Dabbashi, who has turned against the Qaddafi regime, said the resolution would give “moral support for the people who are resisting and being fired upon by the regime.”
Pressure on the council to act had increased after a warning from UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Friday that a delay in taking “concrete action” would cost lives.
Libyan Ambassador Abdurrahman Shalgam, the country’s former foreign minister, also made an impassioned plea for the council to take action against the “atrocities” committed by his childhood friend Qaddafi.
In negotiations, several countries raised reservations about referring Libya to the ICC.
However, Shalgham wrote a letter to the council on Saturday expressing strong backing for the resolution and involving the ICC.
“Faced with the atrocities we are seeing, impunity is no longer an option,” French UN envoy Gerard Araud told the council.
Debate on the Libya crisis is scheduled to return to the UN headquarters tomorrow when the UN General Assembly votes on a motion to suspend the nation from the UN Human Rights Council. The action requires a two-thirds majority from the 192 member states and Western nations are already lobbying for support.
TAIPEI REACTIONS: Joanne Ou decried China’s ‘gangster diplomacy,’ while MOFA said its Fiji counterpart dealt fairly with the incident and protected the trade office’s rights The world should denounce the actions of Chinese embassy staffers in Fiji against a Taiwanese diplomat during a National Day celebration in Suva, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday as it thanked the Fijian government for its help after the Oct. 8 incident. Two Chinese diplomats tried to force their way into a celebration held by the Taipei Trade Office in Fiji at the Grand Pacific Hotel in Suva on Oct. 8, and a Taiwanese diplomat who tried to stop them taking photographs suffered a head injury. MOFA spokeswoman Joanne Ou (歐江安) told a news briefing that the ministry
The US, Japan and Australia conducted trilateral naval exercises in the South China Sea on Monday, the US Seventh Fleet announced yesterday. It was their fifth joint operations this year in the fleet’s area of operations, it said in a statement. The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain joined the JS Kirisame of the Japan Maritime Self Defense Force and the Royal Australian Navy’s HMAS Arunta. The Arunta’s commanding officer, Commander Troy Duggan, said that Australia was continuing to build on its already close relationship with Japan and the US. “This activity is a valuable and important opportunity for all three nations,”
ONGOING PROBE: A former Military Intelligence Bureau colonel, major general and another colonel, as well as five other people, have been questioned by prosecutors The Taipei District Court yesterday ordered that a retired colonel from the Military Intelligence Bureau (MIB) calling himself Taiwan’s “first special agent” be detained and held incommunicado as part of an ongoing investigation into espionage allegations targeting at least three former bureau officials. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office was seeking to detain former MIB colonel Chang Chao-jan (張超然) over his alleged involvement in introducing retired agents to Chinese national security authorities and passing confidential documents to China. Chang’s actions, if proven, would contravene the National Security Act (國家安全法), which carries a prison term of three to 10 years, and the National Intelligence
Seabed waste off the west coast is 1.5 times higher than the global average, with the mouth of the Tamsui River (淡水河) nearly 90 times dirtier, the environmental consultancy IndigoWaters (澄洋環境顧問) said yesterday. The firm in September last year began collaborating with local oceanographers on Taiwan’s first survey of seabed waste off the west coast, collecting 6,000 samples from near the mouths of eight rivers and conducting 215 inspections. Of the samples, 83.3 percent were found to contain trash, the group said. Based on the survey, every square kilometer of seabed had about 121,074 pieces of trash weighing 102kg, IndigoWaters chief executive Yen