A revision of the National Health Insurance (NHI) reform plan presented by the Department of Health (DOH) yesterday drew mixed reviews, with supporters touting its benefits, while critics said it was even more unfair than the current system.
The revision came in the wake of the Executive Yuan and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus’ decision on Thursday last week to backpedal on their previous second-generation reform plan.
Under the new package proposed by Department of Health Minister Yaung Chih-liang (楊志良), an individual’s premium would be calculated based on interest income, share dividends, professional practice income and any cash awards that are four times more than a person’s salary.
The department’s initial proposal basically revolved around calculating premiums based on total household income, rather an individual’s salary as is done at present.
Legislators for the most part have agreed on the idea of calculating premiums based on household income, but political parties could not agree on how to define household income.
Some lawmakers also had issues with the initial proposal that would set premiums for housewives and the unemployed by assuming a “virtual” monthly income of NT$17,280, saying that the scheme did not reflect reality and could hurt the economically disadvantaged.
“With the inclusion of the four types of incomes, the premium rate imposed on an individual’s salary could be lower than the current rate of 5.17 percent,” Yaung said.
However, he said the exact rate, which is designed to maintain the insurance system’s financial balance for at least two years, has yet to be calculated.
Yaung said the revised proposal was expected to expand the premium base from the current NT$3.37 trillion (US$112.9 billion) annually to NT$4.37 trillion, less than the NT$5.56 trillion estimated in the earlier proposal, which had been dubbed “the second-generation” NHI system.
The latest revision suggests differentiating premium rates on regular salary and the newly incorporated four types of incomes, which Yaung said could be between 1 percent and 2 percent.
The revision was agreed to by KMT caucus representatives at a meeting that was presided over by Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義).
However, KMT Legislator Lin Tsang-min (林滄敏) has said that he would still suggest including income from rental properties into the calculations.
Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) will convene an inter-party negotiation today to seek the opinion of the Democratic Progressive Party caucus on the proposal.
Sun Yue (孫越), a celebrity who volunteers at the John Tung Foundation and who had openly endorsed the second-generation plan in the DOH’s advertisements, said he was in support of “all that is good for the public welfare.”
When asked about criticism of Yaung for proposing so many versions of the NHI bill, Sun said he was not in the position to answer certain questions about the NHI plan, but that “our hearts know right from wrong.”
“If [the new bill] passes, we as celebrities must take up the responsibility to help promote the system, because it is beneficial to the public’s health and welfare,” he said.
Civic groups such as the National Health Insurance Civil Surveillance Alliance, however, oppose the “new and improved” plan, labeling it a “fraud.”
Commenting on the proposal to impose a lower premium fee rate on non-salary income such as cash awards and bonuses, alliance spokesperson Eva Teng (滕西華) said: “This will give employers the incentive to transfer more employee compensation from regular salaries to bonuses in order to pay less premium.”
The result would be reduced workforce stability and a -decreased level of protection from labor insurance and pensions, she said.
Teng said the revision does nothing to address the unfair premium calculations for workers in certain occupations, such as high-income celebrities who, under the current system, only pay minimal premiums.
Son Yu-lian (孫友聯), secretary-general of the Taiwan Labour Front, also slammed the new proposal, saying it was not only worse than the original “second-generation” package, it was more unfair than the current system.
“It should be called the 0.5 generation health plan,” Son Yu-lian said.
He said that the new plan does not minimize administrative costs associated with tracking various sources of income and collecting premiums to keep the NHI fund sustainable, and that it was not worth fighting for a new plan that has limited benefits for the public.
CAUTION: Taiwanese should be alert, even if they have just liked or shared posts that would breach Beijing’s national security legislation for Hong Kong, the council said Due to the newly implemented Hong Kong national security legislation, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has drawn up a list of what it described as “high-risk groups,” cautioning them not to travel to Hong Kong. People who support independence for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang; those who are critical of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), the Hong Kong government and the “one country, two systems” concept; and those who donated to or voiced support for the Hong Kong anti-extradition bill movement are urged to refrain from visiting Hong Kong, the council said on its Web site. It released two posts on
NEW HONG KONG LAW: A visit to Beijing-friendly nations or those with weak judicial systems could leave people at risk of deportation to China, a former MAC official said Beijing could request countries with which it has extradition agreements to deport Taiwanese to China to face criminal charges following the implementation of national security legislation for Hong Kong, a former Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) official warned yesterday. Some developing countries, and those close to China because of the Belt and Road Initiative, are likely to accommodate Beijing’s requests to extradite Taiwanese to China, said former deputy MAC minister Chen Ming-chi (陳明祺), who served from July 2, 2018, until May 20, and then returned to his former post as an assistant professor of sociology at National Tsing Hua University. While Taiwanese
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
IN THE PIPELINE: The Ministry of National Defense said the sale, expected to take effect in one month, would be the seventh arms sale under the Trump administration The government yesterday thanked the US for approving the possible sale of a US$620 million missile repair and recertification package to Taiwan. The US Department of State has approved the sale of a package to recertify Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) missiles to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in Washington for an estimated US$620 million, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency said in a news release on Thursday. The agency has delivered the required certification to the US Congress, notifying it of the possible sale, it added. The TECRO had requested to buy an upgrade package that would support an operational