Iran’s reformist former president Mohammad Khatami lashed out yesterday at the trial of 100 people accused of rioting after Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s re-election, putting him at loggerheads with hardliners who accuse him of “treason.”
Khatami’s strongly worded declaration underscored the escalating feud between rival factions in the Islamic republic, which is battling the worst crisis in its 30-year history over the June election.
About 100 people were put on trial before a revolutionary court in Tehran on Saturday on charges including rioting, vandalism, having ties with counter-revolutionary groups and plotting to launch a “velvet revolution.”
“What was done yesterday is against the Constitution, regular laws and rights of the citizens,” Khatami’s office quoted him as telling a group of political activists and lawmakers.
Khatami, who served two terms as president before being succeeded by Ahmadinejad in 2005, said the court had relied on “confessions taken under certain circumstances which are not valid.”
“The most important problem with the trial procedure is that it was not held in an open session. The lawyers and the defendants were not informed of the contents of the cases ahead of the trial,” the charismatic cleric said.
But in a major blow to the opposition, Saturday’s closed-door trial saw a dramatic climbdown by some top reformists, including Khatami aides, who said Ahmadinejad’s June 12 election victory was clean.
About 2,000 protesters, reformists, political activists and journalists were initially detained by authorities in a crackdown on the massive public protests over the vote, which Mousavi has branded a “shameful fraud.”
About 30 people were killed and hundreds wounded in the unrest.
Most protesters have been released, but about 250 still remain behind bars.
Meanwhile, Iran said on Saturday that three Americans who “infiltrated” from Iraq had been arrested, as Washington sought confirmation that the individuals were backpackers who reportedly strayed across the border.
“An informed Iranian source confirmed the arrest of three Americans after they infiltrated through the Iraqi border,” the Arabic-language Al-Alam station reported. Another state channel said they were military personnel.
The US, which does not have diplomatic ties with the Islamic republic, said it has asked Switzerland, which represents its interests in Tehran, to confirm the Iranian reports.
SAFETY RISK: The government is working to categorize countries based on their COVID-19 cases and prevention efforts, which would determine quarantine periods The government plans to rank countries based on their COVID-19 risks to determine how to treat tourists and other travelers from those nations once Taiwan reopens its borders, but it is still working out the categories, a top health official told lawmakers yesterday. “We would divide countries around the world into several categories. One category would comprise those countries with very few confirmed COVID-19 cases, such as New Zealand and Palau. Travelers from the countries in this category would only need to practice self-health management,” Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥) told a Legislative Yuan seminar hosted by
SECURITY CONCERNS: The Telecom Technology Center ran black-box tests for the Executive Yuan on devices and software from Chinese, US and South Korean firms Network devices from several Chinese manufacturers are insecure and allow personal information to be leaked, testing commissioned by the Executive Yuan has shown. A variety of devices and software, including apps, from Chinese, US and South Korean manufacturers that are used by government agencies at the central and local level were subjected to black-box testing — in which the functionality of an application is examined without knowing about its internal structure, an information-security official said yesterday on condition of anonymity. The Telecom Technology Center conducted the tests, which simulated cyberattacks, to determine their resilience to the attacks, the official said. The center
CASH BOOST: Foreign spouses with residency permits are also eligible for the coupons, which can be bought at post offices or linked to digital payment options Stimulus coupons for Taiwanese and foreign spouses with residency permits can be ordered starting on July 1 and can be used from July 15 to Dec. 31, the Executive Yuan said yesterday. Aimed at boosting domestic spending, the coupons worth NT$3,000 (US$100.04) are to cost NT$1,000. “For our consumers, this is a very good deal as they get three times as much value for their money,” Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told a news conference in Taipei. While the coupons are to have a wide range of uses, including at department stores, restaurants, book stores, night markets, beauty and hair salons, hotels, and to
Beijing is to ease a ban on foreign airlines starting on Monday next week, changing course one day after the administration of US President Donald Trump demanded that China reopen to US airlines or face curbs on its own carriers flying passengers to the US. Foreign airlines excluded from an earlier pact would be able to operate one commercial passenger flight to China per week, the Chinese Civil Aviation Administration said. It did not name any countries or carriers, but the move opens up a chance for US airlines to return for the first time in four months. While the timing might