The Wild Strawberry Student Movement marked its one-month anniversary in Taipei yesterday with a rally featuring a mock funeral for the nation’s human rights, attracting several thousand participants of all ages.
The demonstrators, who only reported their planned event to the police instead of seeking approval from law enforcement authorities as required by the Assembly and Parade Law (集會遊行法), peacefully marched to the Legislative Yuan, the Control Yuan, the Executive Yuan, the National Police Agency (NPA) and Ketagalan Boulevard in front of the Presidential Office.
The 2.7km march began at 2pm, with student protesters from around Taiwan and a number of non-governmental organization members dressed in black marching down Zhongshan S Road with a banner that read “peaceful, rational and maintaining order [even though we only] reported [the rally].”
An estimated 4,000 people joined the protest, event organizers said. Students wore Qing dynasty emperor’s and officials’ costumes with pictures of President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄), NPA Director-General Wang Cho-chiun (王卓鈞) and National Security Bureau Director-General Tsai Chao-ming (蔡朝明).
A couple brought their son and daughter to the parade, carrying a symbolic reaping-hook and dragging several dolls colored in red on the ground, a move they said symbolized the death of the nation’s human rights.
As the rally participants proceeded with their demonstration, they were stopped by a small number of police officers near National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall, the legislature and Ketagalan Boulevard, but the police officers only issued warnings and did not block them.
PHOTO: WANG MIN-WEI, TAIPEI TIMES
The officers left the scene as rally participants and supporters applauded the officers for carrying out their police duty instead of clashing with them.
The event was highlighted with a mock funeral for human rights in the middle of the boulevard — about 250m away from the Presidential Office — with four students dressed in black suits carrying a coffin symbolizing human rights and covering it with a national flag, as the event organizers played the national anthem in the background.
The protesters returned to Liberty Square at the hall after the “funeral.” No conflicts took place throughout the rally.
The students had staged nationwide silent sit-ins since Nov. 6 to protest what they called excessive police force during a visit by Chinese envoy Chen Yunlin (陳雲林) early last month.
The students have called for an immediate amendment to the assembly law and for Ma and Liu to apologize and Wang and Tsai to resign.
The Executive Yuan on Thursday responded to the students’ appeals by approving a proposed amendment to the assembly law that scrapped the police’s authority to approve or disapprove a rally application.
Many of the student protesters questioned the government’s sincerity in amending the law, saying that there was nothing different between the proposed amendment and the current law because organizers would still be required to register their activities five days in advance.
The students criticized the government’s proposal for three situations in which police would be empowered to inform organizers within 36 hours of registration that their plans were not acceptable.
The three situations were: if the event would jeopardize national security, social order or the public interest; if it would endanger lives, freedom or property; or when an event taking place close to another could cause problems.
Hsu Jen-shou (??, director of yesterday’s rally, said the government did not intend to account for or take responsibility for the authority police allegedly abused during Chen’s visit.
“The Wild Strawberries strongly demand that the governing [Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)] party immediately promise within three days that the power abuse and violations of freedom of speech during Chen’s stay in Taiwan will never happen again,” he said.
Although the Wild Strawberries is a student movement, the parade yesterday attracted non-students as well.
“We have to speak out,” a 63-year-old woman surnamed Chen (陳) said. “Because we’re suffering setbacks in human rights, we’re being betrayed by our own government.”
Chen’s husband and daughter, who accompanied her, nodded in agreement.
Wang Hao-han (王顥翰), a 23-year-old student at Soochow University’s Center for Study of Human Rights, said he was upset with the Assembly and Parade Law revision proposed by the Executive Yuan.
“I’m not sure if I should call it an ‘improved version’ [as the government claims], because the new version is more strict than the current one,” he said. “Right now, an unapproved demonstration could only be considered illegal after the police issue three warnings, but in the new version, you’re in trouble already if you didn’t notify the police in advance.”
The concern of National Chiaotung University student surnamed Liu (劉) perhaps explains why many demonstrators declined to reveal their full names during interviews.
“We’ve observed a rapid deterioration of human rights in the country — who knows what would happen to me if my name got published in a newspaper?” he said. “So a lot of us would rather keep a low-profile.”
Many foreigners in Taiwan were spotted at the demonstration.
Most civic groups were happy to see the number of people on the street.
“We organized various events on human rights in the past month and now we’re very tired,” Taiwan Association for Human Rights secretary-general Tsai Chi-hsun (蔡季勳) said yesterday. “It’s good to see so many people are still concerned about the issue, and remain peaceful the whole time.”
CAUTION: Taiwanese should be alert, even if they have just liked or shared posts that would breach Beijing’s national security legislation for Hong Kong, the council said Due to the newly implemented Hong Kong national security legislation, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has drawn up a list of what it described as “high-risk groups,” cautioning them not to travel to Hong Kong. People who support independence for Taiwan, Hong Kong, Tibet and Xinjiang; those who are critical of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP), the Hong Kong government and the “one country, two systems” concept; and those who donated to or voiced support for the Hong Kong anti-extradition bill movement are urged to refrain from visiting Hong Kong, the council said on its Web site. It released two posts on
NEW HONG KONG LAW: A visit to Beijing-friendly nations or those with weak judicial systems could leave people at risk of deportation to China, a former MAC official said Beijing could request countries with which it has extradition agreements to deport Taiwanese to China to face criminal charges following the implementation of national security legislation for Hong Kong, a former Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) official warned yesterday. Some developing countries, and those close to China because of the Belt and Road Initiative, are likely to accommodate Beijing’s requests to extradite Taiwanese to China, said former deputy MAC minister Chen Ming-chi (陳明祺), who served from July 2, 2018, until May 20, and then returned to his former post as an assistant professor of sociology at National Tsing Hua University. While Taiwanese
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
IN THE PIPELINE: The Ministry of National Defense said the sale, expected to take effect in one month, would be the seventh arms sale under the Trump administration The government yesterday thanked the US for approving the possible sale of a US$620 million missile repair and recertification package to Taiwan. The US Department of State has approved the sale of a package to recertify Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) missiles to the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office (TECRO) in Washington for an estimated US$620 million, the US Defense Security Cooperation Agency said in a news release on Thursday. The agency has delivered the required certification to the US Congress, notifying it of the possible sale, it added. The TECRO had requested to buy an upgrade package that would support an operational