The UN said yesterday it was in talks with the Afghan government over a "misunderstanding" that led Kabul to order the expulsion of two senior European diplomats after claims they had contact with the Taliban.
The diplomats -- one from the EU and the other a UN official -- were ordered to leave and their Afghan colleagues were arrested, the Afghan government said on Tuesday.
The UN official, a British national who is a senior political adviser well-versed in Afghan affairs, would leave the country in the next 48 hours, UN spokesman Aleem Siddique said.
"We are hopeful he will be able to return swiftly so he can continue the important work that needs to take place in order to cement peace and stability and progress," Siddique said.
The EU was not available to comment directly on its staffer, an Irish national who has been in Afghanistan for several years, but European diplomats said he was also expected to leave on holidays.
Siddique said the affair was a misunderstanding that arose after the men visited the Helmand province town of Musa Qala, which was recaptured this month after 10 months under Taliban control.
The men had gone there in coordination with the Afghan government to assess "stabilization" efforts after the military offensive, he said.
They spoke with a range of locals, including "people who are perhaps undecided whether they are supportive of the government of Afghanistan," Siddique said.
"We have subsequently been informed that our presence in Helmand was detrimental to national security interests. We disagree with this assessment," he said.
"We view this as a misunderstanding between us and the government of Afghanistan," Siddique said.
"Efforts are ongoing in talks with the ministry of interior and ministry of foreign affairs so we can clarify what we are doing in Helmand province, so these people can stay here and do the important work they do," he said.
The UN spokesman flatly rejected there had been talks with Taliban insurgents.
"We do not talk to the Taliban -- full stop. That is not what we were in Helmand province to do," he said.
The UN was seeking meetings with government ministries to resolve the issue, Siddique said.
Asked to comment, foreign ministry spokesman Sultan Ahmad Baheen said internationals working in Afghanistan "have to observe our law."
"All the measures which the government of Afghanistan takes are according to its national and security interests," he said.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai's office announced on Tuesday the two men, whose names are being withheld, were declared persona non grata because they had "posed threats to the national security of Afghanistan."
In Brussels, EU spokeswoman Cristina Gallach said: "We are in touch at a diplomatic level with the Afghan authorities. We are hoping for a resolution soon."
SAFETY RISK: The government is working to categorize countries based on their COVID-19 cases and prevention efforts, which would determine quarantine periods The government plans to rank countries based on their COVID-19 risks to determine how to treat tourists and other travelers from those nations once Taiwan reopens its borders, but it is still working out the categories, a top health official told lawmakers yesterday. “We would divide countries around the world into several categories. One category would comprise those countries with very few confirmed COVID-19 cases, such as New Zealand and Palau. Travelers from the countries in this category would only need to practice self-health management,” Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥) told a Legislative Yuan seminar hosted by
CASH BOOST: Foreign spouses with residency permits are also eligible for the coupons, which can be bought at post offices or linked to digital payment options Stimulus coupons for Taiwanese and foreign spouses with residency permits can be ordered starting on July 1 and can be used from July 15 to Dec. 31, the Executive Yuan said yesterday. Aimed at boosting domestic spending, the coupons worth NT$3,000 (US$100.04) are to cost NT$1,000. “For our consumers, this is a very good deal as they get three times as much value for their money,” Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told a news conference in Taipei. While the coupons are to have a wide range of uses, including at department stores, restaurants, book stores, night markets, beauty and hair salons, hotels, and to
SECURITY CONCERNS: The Telecom Technology Center ran black-box tests for the Executive Yuan on devices and software from Chinese, US and South Korean firms Network devices from several Chinese manufacturers are insecure and allow personal information to be leaked, testing commissioned by the Executive Yuan has shown. A variety of devices and software, including apps, from Chinese, US and South Korean manufacturers that are used by government agencies at the central and local level were subjected to black-box testing — in which the functionality of an application is examined without knowing about its internal structure, an information-security official said yesterday on condition of anonymity. The Telecom Technology Center conducted the tests, which simulated cyberattacks, to determine their resilience to the attacks, the official said. The center
Beijing is to ease a ban on foreign airlines starting on Monday next week, changing course one day after the administration of US President Donald Trump demanded that China reopen to US airlines or face curbs on its own carriers flying passengers to the US. Foreign airlines excluded from an earlier pact would be able to operate one commercial passenger flight to China per week, the Chinese Civil Aviation Administration said. It did not name any countries or carriers, but the move opens up a chance for US airlines to return for the first time in four months. While the timing might